Looking for a 3V Hatchet

I’m looking for a hatchet/small axe/tomahawk in 3V or another semi-stainless tool steel (not D2). Anyone got any suggestions?

you may have to go to a custom request. There are few to no axe available with special ‘steels’

I’m looking for a hatchet/small axe/tomahawk in 3V or another semi-stainless tool steel (not D2). Anyone got any suggestions?
Generally, axes come in simple steels because they are hard-use impact tools. 1050-1080 is extremely reliable for that purpose, which is why axes continue to be made with it.

Axes don’t require as much maintenance as people seem to think, and a little rust never hurt one. I can hack up a whole tree and not require sharpening even simple 1045. Put BLO on the handle once a year.

I’m sure someone could do something fancy for you, but I can say with relative confidence that it would be needlessly expensive for very little performance gains, if any.

If you’re just looking for a nice looking axe-shaped wall hanger, you may just have to shell out the money for a custom job.

Generally, axes come in simple steels because they are hard-use impact tools. 1050-1080 is extremely reliable for that purpose, which is why axes continue to be made with it.

Axes don’t require as much maintenance as people seem to think, and a little rust never hurt one. I can hack up a whole tree and not require sharpening even simple 1045. Put BLO on the handle once a year.

I’m sure someone could do something fancy for you, but I can say with relative confidence that it would be needlessly expensive for very little performance gains, if any.

If you’re just looking for a nice looking axe-shaped wall hanger, you may just have to shell out the money for a custom job.
This is a good reply. Thank you. What I was looking for is a hard use, full tang chopping blade of some sort that I will not break (I’ve broken a lot of axe handles, which gets expensive). Mostly, I will chop, split smaller logs, baton slightly larger logs, and clear brush/roots. I ended up going with a 3V kukri/chopper. I appreciate the semi-stainless nature along with toughness and edge holding. I’ll be taking it in humid environments for weeks at a time, so some corrosion resistance should help.

This is a good reply. Thank you. What I was looking for is a hard use, full tang chopping blade of some sort that I will not break (I’ve broken a lot of axe handles, which gets expensive). Mostly, I will chop, split smaller logs, baton slightly larger logs, and clear brush/roots. I ended up going with a 3V kukri/chopper. I appreciate the semi-stainless nature along with toughness and edge holding. I’ll be taking it in humid environments for weeks at a time, so some corrosion resistance should help.
You’re asking the wrong guy when it comes to “full tang” axes. I’ve used an estwing A24 enough to know what durability costs, and the balance and heft of the tool dramatically increases with “full tang” construction. I still have my estwing- it’s the bulletproof option- but I never use it because any steel hung on hickory has a big advantage to the user.

I’ve also never broken an axe handle*, so I think it might be an opportunity to develop your technique.

In truth, humans have been able to make “full tang” axes for a long time and we never make many because they’re generally not great. I recommend cleaning off the head and painting it, which is an age old method for preventing rust. Get a double bit and use one for all your ground chopping and keep the other side for chopping wood.

*excepting horribly neglected handles, or ones with awful grain run-out as found on cheap axes.

There are some nice steel handled axes, hatchets and hawks out there but you can't be picky on the steel and they're not particularly inexpensive.

xnfyLFh.jpg

I love my GB Forest Axe, but I keep an Estwing in the snowmachine bag just because they are really durable. The rubber grip is nice in snowy conditions and with wearing gloves.

Back