Looking for a Steel Cup to fit underneath a Nalgene Bottle

hi all.

I have a MaxP 10x4 bottle holder with the MaxP Nalgene and I was wondering if there was a steel cup with a folding handle that fits into the bottom, maybe one with a lid also?

Its mainly for boiling water/cooking lunch.

Thanks in advance

DSCF1128_640x480.jpg

GSI makes the nestling cup, no lid, but then they are not hard to fab out of alot of stuff. Also for Ti, look at snowpeak 700ml and solo cook kit. The nalgeen fits better in the solo and the 700 is a little sloppy, but still a nice fit. I have a few of each but prefure the Ti. Reason being, I have had 2 GSIs get little cracks in them over 2-3 years. But then for $12, who gives a rats rear.

EDIT to add, here is the last one I had to replace. Also picked up a few Guyot SS nalgeens to go alone with them. FYI swap the lid since that little plastic lid is HEAVY. I just buy a replacement nalgeen lid at one of the various shops. Oh, and they do not look this nice anymore, one fire pretty much adds personality to them. I now spray them with black BBQ paint since it makes the fire crap wipe off easier.

water3.JPG

Well yes they exist but I dont know of ONE in particular. My buddy bought one at Mt. Washington, it fits perfectly with a folding handle which fits in that there Maxped you got.

+1 on the GSI cup - the lid on the creme de pirouline rolled wafers fits perfectly :D

31V25Iz3PVL.jpg

+1 on the GSI cup - the lid on the creme de pirouline rolled wafers fits perfectly :D

:thumbup: Thanks for the tip.

Spoolup, remove the three Guyot's in the middle and I've got the same set:p. The blue one is my EDB (Every Day Bottle). ;)

Never thought I'd see the day when I had ~$80 tied up in 2 bottles, a cup, coffee filter, and a splash guard. :eek:

thanks for the info guys.

I'll be chasing down one of those Snowpeak 700's I reckon.

I can recommend the Snow Peak Mini Solo which also has a lid and a cup with graduations.

SPMS.jpg

And the Tatonka Handle Mug which fits perfectly and also has graduations.

4072000a.jpg

Finally, the Snow Peak Trek 700, which too has a lid and graduations. This mug/cookpot has a rim which protrudes more than the others, and some people don't like using it with a Guyot/Nalgene bottle in a Maxpedition 10 X 4 Bottle Holder for this reason.

SNOW-PEAK-TREK-700-G.jpg

Of the three, only the Tatonka is stainless steel, the Snow Peak pair are titanium.

the SP 700 is a tight fit in the holder, but does work (it will loosen w/ time), to extract it I put my hand in, make a fist and give it a little twist while pulling

there is a little wiggle room between the Nalgene and the 700 cup, I use that space for my windscreen/wood stove

soupon.jpg

I like the MSR cups much, much better than the GSI ones - more comfortable handle, and more consistent size. Some of the older GSI's won't fit a clear Nalgene, only the cloudy ones... And no, they don't tell you.

This is my solo kit. As mentioned above by AuroNautiCal, the Snow Peak Mini Solo and how it fits;

DSC_0026.jpg

Kit as I carry it.

DSC_0027.jpg

Without bag.

DSC_0029.jpg

Stacking dolls

DSC_0030.jpg

Contents of the Nalgene, 25' Paracord, titanium spork, and Steripen.

Hope that helps.
Doc

I don't know on the cup, but might I ask what sheath your knife is in in the original picture? I've been looking for something like that.

Thanks!

Some good ideas there guys thanks.

Parke, the sheath is a Lost Mountain Iron Works Footlong.
Unfortunately they have stopped making them but yhttp://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/692-Wilderness-amp-Survival-Skillsou may be able to find them on the exchange.
They also do an awesome ESEE kit that I'm chasing

Cheers

Reason being, I have had 2 GSIs get little cracks in them over 2-3 years. But then for $12, who gives a rats rear.

I've had several crack. They will cut you if you don't notice, like around the fire at night. I'm done with em. I need to pick up a Snow Peak.

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

That's a good tip about the bbq paint on the stainless Nalgenes. Im gonna give it a try, they smut up a lot.

I use a GSI but it does not fit on all of Nalgenes bottles.

Should fit all 32oz Nalgenes But there were some sold a year a so ago that were very tight fits or no-go's.

If you buy from someone like Two Wolves Outdoors they can check for proper fit before shipping them out.

31V25Iz3PVL.jpg

Thank you for this recommendation. It works perfectly :thumbup:

I have a GSI and an Olicamp. Of the two, I like the Olicamp better.

What do you feel is the advantage of the Olicamp over the GSI?

What I'd love more than anything is if Nalgene and GSI worked together and made a set in Titanium. I'm not holding my breath though. :D

Just a FYI, the Pepperidge Farms Pirouettes has a similar shape, and the lid fits the GSI cup, perfectly. I just got the Pirouettes from Wal-Mart, my small town has few places to choose from.

Back