Looking for a tacticool mall ninja knife.

Put away the torches and hear me out....

I know I'm not alone here in that I am pretty much always playing with a knife while I watch TV/movies. Now when I'm watching a badass tactical show/movie (24, The Unit, NCIS, The Kingdom, Shooter, etc etc) playing with a slipjoint or a Rainbow Leek just doesn't cut it. Hehe, I'm punny.

So basically I'm looking for something like a Strider/Emerson/Zero Tolerance, but because it's gonna spend most of its keeping me company on the couch, I don't need the quality (and price) that these brands offer.

In summary, I'm looking for a ZT0500 MUDD for under $50, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Look no further than Mantis knives, my friend. Custom tailored for your needs.

http://www.mantisknives.com/

Moon, I think you've struck the Mother Lode!!!

Mantis knives not only are crafted and assembled cool, I mean almost EVERYTHING is black & red. How cool can it get.

Wait ----- there's more - Billy Mays will sign you up for the Mantis Militia if you call within the next 30 minutes and Vince will show you how to "chop" with a Mantis and "sham-wow" the mess away when the movie & t.v. watchin' is done!

Seriously though, I dunno? Butterfly, E.T. If you're after the "click" satisfaction factor DEKZ, I'd look into a whole lot of flea-market finds for a minimum of $$$. Gibby

Look no further than Mantis knives, my friend. Custom tailored for your needs.

http://www.mantisknives.com/

Of course the one I like is the expensive one with S30V and Titanium :(

http://www.mantisknives.com/Product%20Zoom/MTF4ti%20Chaos%20Folder/mtf4ti_chaosfolder.html

But these aren't quite what I'm looking for. Perhaps saying mall ninja was a mistake; more tactical, less mall ninja, and under $50.

Yup, nothing screams Ninja quite like em...and if you join the militia, you can hook up with a whole lotta other like minded souls

Just for the record, I am in no way a mall-ninja. I have quality folders that I EDC, this knife is purely for screwing around with at home, something I would be embarrassed to actually carry, hence the low budget. :D

Last edited:
Well, the MOD CQD Mark 1 is featured prominently on NCIS, and they make a lower priced one called the CQD Mark 1 Type E......MSRP is $100, but I got mine for $69 shipped priority....brand new.....should arrive tomorrow or the next day.....the best place to get one right now is Ebay, as the knife is selling so well, that all the other places are backordered until mid march......the people I ordered from are a small knife shop in MA, who also sell out of a storefront on Ebay......they had great rep, and have been in business since 2002, so I trust them. The only differences between the MOD CQD Mark 1 and the Type E, are that the handle is made of polymer with stainless steel frame, and the blade is AUS8A.....its made in Taiwan instead of the states, but I've talked to several people with the Mark 1 Type E, and they said fit and finish and lock up are rock solid!

BH15M111BK.jpg

Whooooooooooooooooooooo, right over the head!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the Mantis suggestions was supposed to be facetious. If that knife was $20 instead of $260 I would have said thanks for the suggestion.

DEKZ, I think the best thing I can tell ya is hit every Gun & Knife show, every gun/knife/outdoors store and every flea market you can.

These things are basically non-existent where I live.

Last edited:

I know I'm not alone here in that I am pretty much always playing with a knife while I watch TV/movies. Now when I'm watching a badass tactical show/movie (24, The Unit, NCIS, The Kingdom, Shooter, etc etc) playing with a slipjoint or a Rainbow Leek just doesn't cut it. Hehe, I'm punny.

So basically I'm looking for something like a Strider/Emerson/Zero Tolerance, but because it's gonna spend most of its keeping me company on the couch, I don't need the quality (and price) that these brands offer.

You MUST get yourself the Jim Wagner Reality Based Blade. No blade is more badass than that sucker. Gladius tip with not one but TWO blood grooves man. Chisel grind, and mean sick serrations for ripping the guts out :thumbup:

If you get the package deal, it comes with BOTH a glass breaker and pen style pocket clip, whether you're out there popping windows, or sneaking into school.

Semi-wavable... the list goes on, OH! It's tactical black. It's made in Taiwan too--assembled by the finest Taiwanese Ninja's. :D

:p

Mantis Knives all the way baby!

I mean look at this freakin' blade for under $50!!
mf4hcsg.jpg

You bust that baby out, and people will *know* you are a badass.

Dekz, long story short - my initial reply was so long it glitched it out.

Get a Kershaw E.T. Please promise me you will have bandages, band-aids and neosporin on hand as you admire the technical and engineering brilliance and execution. AND - Give me a short list of all the mods you'd like to make of it - I have mine.

Enjoy that area of beautiful country you're in. I loved passing through.

Gibby

Of course the one I like is the expensive one with S30V and Titanium :(

http://www.mantisknives.com/Product Zoom/MTF4ti Chaos Folder/mtf4ti_chaosfolder.html

But these aren't quite what I'm looking for. Perhaps saying mall ninja was a mistake; more tactical, less mall ninja, and under $50.

Just for the record, I am in no way a mall-ninja. I have quality folders that I EDC, this knife is purely for screwing around with at home, something I would be embarrassed to actually carry, hence the low budget. :D

Look at the "Smith and Wesson" line of knives put out by Taylor Brands.

Hmm, probably not as "cool" looking, but fun to play with would be the Kershaw RAM. After all you did say you wanted a ZT Mudd for $50, well the RAM's about the closest thing to that.

Seriously, get an E.T. !!!

Much bang for the buck. Lot's of learning, understanding and -eventually, prying, modding!!! -OR - Just being happy with the fun yer havin'!

Do I have to send ya mine Dekz??? Just ask, you got it!

I don't really want to, but I will. (excuse to buy another)!!!

MyWord!

Gibby

ps - When that fun is done - Get a D2 from Lone Wolf/Harsey collaboration.
Hoss, that's right, Hoss-Power!!! Just like good ol' Carrol Shelby! PLAY with others - Come home to roost!!!

Gibby

Last edited:

A good suggestion, but i hate all the writing allover the blades.

Hmm, probably not as "cool" looking, but fun to play with would be the Kershaw RAM. After all you did say you wanted a ZT Mudd for $50, well the RAM's about the closest thing to that.

I have a RAM and absolutely love it. But I put wood scales on it and it doesn't look very tactical anymore. This is probably the best option though, because it fulfills my purposes for this thread and it's actually a VERY good knife. Maybe I'll wait for Kershaw to come out with the new chinese version and pick up a 2nd one for cheap.

Seriously, get an E.T. !!!

Much bang for the buck. Lot's of learning, understanding and -eventually, prying, modding!!! -OR - Just being happy with the fun yer havin'!

Do I have to send ya mine Dekz??? Just ask, you got it!

I don't really want to, but I will. (excuse to buy another)!!!

MyWord!

Gibby

I've always been interested in the E.T. as I am a huge Kershaw fan (almost exclusively). But I always end up getting something else instead, a free one would be awesome though :thumbup::D

Last edited:
Get yourself a Ka-bar straight edge, and some lube. Then you can lube your knife while you watch your manly movies. Rust prevention is important!

Back