Recommendation? Magnifier for sharpening?

Hello, all. I'm new to sharpening, and there's always something that I need to do, to buy, or to check out. Now, I'm checking out magnification. What do some of you use to see your edges, both as-you-go and the end result? I'd thought of a jeweler's lamp, but what magnification? I have a set of loupes, but I want to be able to hold and pass the knife under the magnifier. Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I've tried a whole bunch of things.

For holding and passing, I've settled on the Optivisor, which you wear on your head. Plenty of room for glasses. Consider carefully the tradeoff between focal length and magnification. I think the one I got has an 8 inch focal length, which is comfortable to work with, and then I got the swing-down 2.5x booster magnifier so I can take a closer look when I want. There are also lighted headset magnifiers, but I never hit one that I liked -- I think I just don't like the extra weight on my head.

For an even closer look in a portable format, I often use pen-type lighted pocket microscopes, 25X and 50X, that I got from a place called Production Automation Corporation. I pull those out much more often for razors than for knives, though.

I have a pair of Craft Optics magnifying glasses. Use them for all sorts of things, including sharpening.

Pros: They're great for this, just work really well. Took me maybe 5 minutes to get used to them. I changed the padding on the nose rests, which didn't work for me.

Cons: They're expensive, and you look like a nut wearing them, if that matters to you.

CraftOptics_red_2018-1024x819.jpg

Last edited:
Handheld loupes are ok in a pinch but not what I prefer to use.

While sharpening I only wear my usual reading glasses, and primarily rely on good lighting and my fingers/feel to gauge my progress.

To inspect edges before and/or after sharpening, I have and use either an Opti Visor, or an inexpensive USB "microscope", really just a digital camera, but in a stable mount, and on a large screen it shows amazing detail (and I can take pictures).

And in any case, good lighting is essential.

Attachments

• IMG_4323.JPG
    IMG_4323.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 4
I mostly use my Carson Pro lighted magnivisor. If I need to look closer, I have a USB microscope and a Celestron handheld microscope. And for really close work I have a big dual-beam AmScope.

Carson Pro Magnivisor.JPG

I have a USB microscope which is best for close-up viewing, but the most convenient one I have, which still provides very good magnification, is a little $10 "currency microscope" I got on Amazon. It gets much closer than my more expensive jeweler's loupe.

I use a small microscope my brother gave my boy a couple of years back. I'd share a picture, but it's currently AWOL. Leave it to a professional small boy to not keep things in the same place...🤷‍♂️

Well, thanks to everyone! I appreciate the input from those who've been doing this for years. I'm "retiring" from dragging tools across town and remodeling homes, but I want to continue working in my (soon to be remodeled, at last) shop. At 66, that's as far as I want to drag tools - and myself - to work. I'm sure I'll be asking other questions, but I'm spending a few hours a day looking over threads for information. There's a LOT more to sharpening than I thought, but I suppose the cognative dissonance will lessen over time. Thanks again to everyone!

Back