Making a pouch sheath - Apprentice Thread.

Tiger thread is superior in every way compared to the Tandy thread. No more wax problem either.

1mm is what we use as well, it works perfect with harness needles and leaves back stitching just tight enough.

Hi guys, thinking seriously about trying out all these great ideas myself. QUESTION: Anybody know where I can procure an American made round knife? Only thing I see consistently on google is the CS Osborne Round Knife No. 70, which seems fine but wouldn't mind checking out other options. Thanks!

Weaver Leather

Hi guys, thinking seriously about trying out all these great ideas myself. QUESTION: Anybody know where I can procure an American made round knife? Only thing I see consistently on google is the CS Osborne Round Knife No. 70, which seems fine but wouldn't mind checking out other options. Thanks!

Terry Knipschield makes some nice models. I have played with a few of them at the Badger Knife show in Wisconsin.
http://www.knipknives.com/leather.php

I have been using one from Tandy...I put a polished convex edge on it and it is much better. I have been thinking about making one. I think I want a shorter handle than most of the ones I have seen. I mainly use a round knife to skive and don't need a long handle.

Thats great, thanks! I wonder whether he takes orders...,cant seem to figure it out from his site....

Terry Knipschield makes some nice models. I have played with a few of them at the Badger Knife show in Wisconsin.
http://www.knipknives.com/leather.php

I have been using one from Tandy...I put a polished convex edge on it and it is much better. I have been thinking about making one. I think I want a shorter handle than most of the ones I have seen. I mainly use a round knife to skive and don't need a long handle.

Work in progress... Spending the evening "crafting" with my daughter is awesome. Thanks for starting and posting this thread...

Making the pattern (we totally gooned this up, but our creativity will pull us through.)

maple3-1207x1609.jpg

The CRAZY pattern maker.....
maple6-1207x1609.jpg

Before we close the taco....

maple9-1207x1609.jpg

After.. It looks like it will fit!!!!

maple10-1207x1609.jpg

This is a LONG cutting edge on a relatively short blade length. It's interesting at this point. My mind is open, but it's a long edge to length ratio; A very large edge to length ratio.

maple11-1207x1609.jpg

That upswept profile, with the tip being higher than the handle, is tough to sheath. On re-sheathing, the tip will want to push right on through the folded leather at the spine. Leave yourself plenty of room and still be cautious when sheathing the knife. I just finished one for a Maverick, done in a butterfly style, and had to take some extra time and drawings to fit it right. The taco style sheath works well for this profile, if there's enough room at the bottom. I'm liking the Maverick and the other similar new profiles, so this is just a little note for sheath making.

That upswept profile, with the tip being higher than the handle, is tough to sheath. On re-sheathing, the tip will want to push right on through the folded leather at the spine. Leave yourself plenty of room and still be cautious when sheathing the knife. I just finished one for a Maverick, done in a butterfly style, and had to take some extra time and drawings to fit it right. The taco style sheath works well for this profile, if there's enough room at the bottom. I'm liking the Maverick and the other similar new profiles, so this is just a little note for sheath making.

Thanks, this is the first one I've done and that upswept blade tip is going to be a bear. Luckily there seems to be lots of extra room. I was thinking about putting a kydex "runner" down the fold, but I'm not sure how I'd keep it in place.

How about curving the sheath with the blade?

That's way beyond my skill set at this point. I think it's loose enough that it won't be a problem as long as you are careful when you put it in the sheath and don't just push it in. I found my other needle this morning, so I should be able to stitch it up this afternoon.

The traditional pouch style doesn't give much option for following this blade profile. Just a little extra room and care when re-sheathing. Here's a couple shots of the butterfly style with this and similar blades.
IMG_0432.jpg
DSC01065.jpg

Not looking too shabby for my first sheath.

IMG_1177-1207x1609.jpg

Not sure if I want to wet form it or not.

Back