Members Online

I would hope that there are enough paying members now that paying for an add on (no idea what that cost would be admittedly) wouldn't be a financial burden to Spark and he wouldn't feel the need to pass the cost to us paying members at renewal time for a feature we lost with this boondoggle(IMO) of a change over.

I found the feature useful in the past as well.

~Chip

I really have one MAIN reason for wanting the feature back as well as a couple supporting reasons.

1. FUN. The whole purpose of the forum for me is FUN. Nothing else. I enjoy using it and virtually "hanging out" here. Without the feature, I feel like I am no longer " hanging out" with anyone because I have no idea who is in the room with me. So, that greatly reduces the amount of FUN I am having and as such, greatly reduces the amount of time and effort I want to put in to have FUN at BF.

2. Sales threads are much more interesting to "watch" when you can see who is popping in to your thread to see what you are offering. They are also much more interesting when you can see who else is popping in to other sales threads you may be interested in. It adds some "reality" to the virtual reality aspect of the marketplace.

3. I have become very accustomed to the feature having been using it since September of 2011. Had it not existed originally I may not have missed it or even thought about having it, but when you have used something nearly everyday for many years and it is suddenly gone, there is a certain loss felt.

4. I don't consider using Bladeforums as a "privilege" when I am paying for it. Had this forum and it's options been offered for free then I have no room to make requests or ask for past features to be re-enabled. However, as a paid member I feel as though I should receive the product I am accustomed to. That being said, if the feature is no longer offered then I can exercise my own option as to whether I want to continue to be a paying member. Simple economics.

By this point, one begins to wonder if anyone is "listening", if anyone of authority cares and if any such person will react textually so that we can hear more of their thoughts and reasoning. Is the cost $100 for a complete feature add-on or $10,000? Maybe if we understood this, there would be more sympathy for the argument against.

But i imagine no one will like or accept the response.

By this point, one begins to wonder if anyone is "listening", if anyone of authority cares and if any such person will react textually so that we can hear more of their thoughts and reasoning. Is the cost $100 for a complete feature add-on or $10,000? Maybe if we understood this, there would be more sympathy for the argument against.

But i imagine no one will like or accept the response.

There are plenty of people listening, just none that have the power to do anything about it.
Spark makes it here between the things in his personal life..Keep it bumped so he sees it.

I'd like to see the feature back. It was fun and useful. It was a good real time gauge of how much traffic your thread was getting or to see which friends were browsing the same thread together.

If it's a cost issue, perhaps the owner can cut some of the modules or features that don't have as much of a demand or see much traffic and fund it with the savings.

I really hope to hear something soon on this. My threads are not as fun since I have no idea if being watched. Also, not likely to renew my gold status as a seller. Just takes the fun out of it. I know a single buyer/seller/trader will not be missed and there are thousands of folks out there still enjoying it.

The indefinable - it has made, IMHO, Bladeforums less of a community. If the powers that be can't see the reasoning in that point (because of what it might mean in membership) then why even argue the point. It puts Bladeforums in the position of going backward with tech/community than forward.

It becomes more about money and less about people. That requires a balance of fact. Expense side of the balance sheet is imticrtant but a declining membership is even more problematic.

I want to know who of my friends are in "the room" or exchange, each for different reasons. Take a poll of gold and platinum members and find out some facts.

The above is from something I wrote earlier but after the thread consolidation.

Only one who is blind would be unable to visualize the lack of growth in the knife community. We have become faceless, along with previous generations, through use of social media, connected through the and by the internet. SPARK, you are cutting off the last remaining link through which you will be able to visualize a customer base, and we as the customer base will wander away toward another, better product that will keep our community from becoming totally faceless, one from the other, because someone will indeed recognize the need we discuss here.

None of us care who the "Notable Members" are. We want to see each other. We want to see the names of members who are in the same "room" we are in. Sooner than later, please.

Last edited:
A poll in tech support would be a good place to start, however the tech forum doesn't get a lot of traffic and therefore it could backfire (in the sense that non-participation could equal noone cares). You might have to spread the word through sig lines. A new poll thread could be started, or this thread can be turned into a poll, by the OP or a Supermod. My suggestion would be that the options include "Indifferent" along with a "support" and "against".

I just started a thread in Carothers/CPK subforum explaining the consolidation and using the link to this thread. Seems to me that it's the paying membership that should be polled, and anyone who doesn't pay, have a separate poll or none at all. After all, it's about paying customers moreso than not. But I like your suggestion about vote choices.

Hey, thanks for all your comments here! I'll try to keep my own comments as positive as you have.

Last edited:
I just started a thread in Carothers/CPK subforum explaining the consolidation and using the link to this thread. Seems to me that it's the paying membership that should be polled, and anyone who doesn't pay, have a separate poll or none at all. After all, it's about paying customers moreso than not. But I like your suggestion about vote choices.

Hey, thanks for all your comments here! I'll try to keep my own comments as positive as you have.
I'm not sure I understand why this is about paying members more than non. I'd suggest including the non paying members, alienating them doesn't help the forum format stay alive. That's just my opinion, if I'm missing something let me know.

Having been around here for a little while, one thing I've learned is that if you want speedy replies, instant action, this isn't the forum for you. If you want a resoulution, if you want your case to be genuinely considered and considered thoroughly then have patience and give Kevin an opportunity to address this along with all the other fires he's still puttin' out.

I've ridden this fun house ride before with many of the OBs and Kevin does everything to make certain that all issues are addressed based on his priority. Just because it's important to me or you doesn't place it high on Kevin's list.

He does forget, he is human, he does have a life and encroaching on that is another sure fire way to insure your problem moves to the back of his in basket.

This site isn't here to make Kevin money, its here to give us a forum to discuss knives and everything related to the industry and the community. First and foremost are the knives, knifemakers, bladesmiths, seller/trader/dealer, collectors and the end users. Whether or not you can see who's lookin' in on your thread or how many people like you, (yes some of the members are proud of their contributions over the years, some of them feel like this is a family of sorts and have consistently donated time, money and energy, why some have even bled for this forum. Some have been here long enough to see forum member's kids grow up and go off to college and war, get married, have babies, divorce, illness, recovery, death and even worse. So believe me when I say we understand the friendships, the thrill of seein' lots of people's names at the bottom of a thread you've made or a popular thread you and your friends have congregated around like the water cooler at work to talk about the latest knife, what's goin' on in the Survive! threads or even jump on the band wagon to bash LCT or any other topical figure or company in the industry or community.

So don't think you're alone in your mornin' the loss of the list at the bottom of who's currently reading that post. I'm guilty of the same thing, logging on, (like I ever log off :rolleyes: :D ) and rushing to my favorite threads to see who's there, either late at night or early in the am. It's a rush to open your thread and see a whole slew of names propagating the bottom of the page and to see the gold and platinum names is even better. It means payin' members are readin' your threads. :)

W e all get it and I along with lessismore were one of the first during beta testing to even bring it up so spark is aware, he's made mention of looking into it and I know he will, give him time. There's so much still left to iron out yet, if the site seems seamless it's because of his dedication, commitment and attention to detail that's gotten it to where it is without much downtime at all. Ask any of the lifers how easy the last change over was and how much downtime we had. Kevin started a FB account for BFC and lots of other BFC members started groups just so we had a place during the down times to congregate at.

Lohn has given the best advice so far, keep it topical, current and on the front page but and here's the hard part for a lot of people, be patient and stay adult and friendly about it. If it's at all possible Kevin will have it added/turned on. There's enough people who feel as you do, John and myself are 2 good people to side with because we're both patient and we both miss the feature too. Because of that we'll both keep at it till we get some kind of answer. I've been here since knapped flint knives were new. :D

In summation I'd like to close with these thoughts.

1) Be patient, Kevin's a busy man and this is not the only thing he has to deal with. (Remember, Kevin has a family and a job/business aside from BFC as most of us have.)

B) This is really a clearinghouse of information about knives and for the community and the industry first, the inability to see who's on the same page as you doesn't impact the ability of the forum to do it's job of providing information, look at, talk about, sell, trade or buy knives.

o_O) If you've taken the time to read all of this that I've written and expected to find an answer other than the obvious which John has mentioned a few times on this thread already you may want to reconsider why you come to BFC. Is it for the knives or the people? You may be better served joinin' FB and some of the various FB knife pages and lookin' for the BF members active there also. :D Just kiddin' ya, there isn't a better place to go and talk and learn about knives.

If nothin' else this stupid post by me took your mind off of your worries for 2 minutes and maybe Kevin will read this and it'll help him realize that there are a lot of members, paid and not who enjoyed and made use of that function in their daily use and navigation of the forums here.

@Spark , Kevin! Please look into the members on line function and when you get the opportunity could you post an update in this thread?

Thanks,
T. Erdelyi

TL;DR version:

Be patient, Kevin will address it when he gets to it, annoyin' him about it will just annoy him and he might work on something else instead. ;)

There's more to BFC than just friends. ;)

I am Ted, I am Notable so there! (~);-}

Last edited:
@ betzner...

I guess I am left to scratch my head a little here. I am not trying to be a smartass, but isn't it somewhat incongruous to want to see who is viewing a particular thread, but out of the desire for privacy, you limit who can view your profile? On the one hand, you want transparency. On the other, you aren't transparent yourself. Again, I'm just trying to understand your thought process here. It seems like this is a big issue for you.

Not at the moment, I just want to help get to the same end, at the moment having my post be transparent is just because I can turn it off and I do. It doesn't help to follow me anymore than following me, all it does is tell you the last thread I visited while it's turned on. Spark fixes it I'll turn it back on. It's like turnin' on the locator on your cell phone, I turn mine off because I can right now, I turn it on when I'm in the woods or out alone for the day. It's only a function. Don't mistake my long post as me bein' obsessed or upset by this, I was just tryin' to clarify so for those who wanted a result of some kind, John's advice is the best way to go about it.

Ted, I think edge was referring to Betzner.

Back