Review Microtech MSI / Some (Subjective) Thoughts / UPDATE: HOW TO FALL BACK IN LOVE!

With all of these not so great reviews, while I happen to like the look of the knife. Also, the Axis type lock was my favorite. I might give one a try still, but I'm not jumping out to buy one quite yet.

I got one of the Frag MSIs back in July, and my first reaction to it was similar to OP's. The handle didn't melt into my hand, and it felt kind of odd, but I wouldn't say there are any hotspots. I think part of the problem is that I typically use more of a saber grip on most of my knives, and the MSI works better in a hammer grip. One of my first thoughts when I got it was about sanding down the edges of the G10, but since I wasn't sure whether I was going to keep it or not, I haven't modified it. After a couple months of carry and use, it is one of my favorite knives, and I have no issues with the handle at all. It's almost like the edges wore down a little bit from use, or more likely, I just got used to it.

I got my Amphibian yesterday, and it too has the sharp corners on the G10 handle. This one is getting sanded down immidiately though, as I absolutely love it otherwise, and the handle definitely feels better despite the sharp corners. It is a little disappointing that Microtech is having an issue with sharper corners on the G10, but I guess full G10 folder handles in this style are a newer product for them. I've had this issue on several Chinese made knives, but never an American knife. Hopefully they figure it out as they get more experienced with this style of knife.

Love the blade for it's function over form, strong tip and maximum cutting edge. It's beautiful in the same way that a Porsche is for me.

Mine fits great in my hand. I like the blade shape, ergos, and overall look of the design. Blade is razor sharp out of the box and action is smooth as glass. It's a keeper for me.

I got the Polymer first, then picked up a G10 model. Absolutely kicked a Benchmade Crooked River out of my Right pocket. Still run a 940 though in my Left pocket.

The negative Nelly’s here all sound like a bunch of Karen’s - so annoying. I believe the Stitch and MSI are exceptional and my hands are tough enough so that all this ridiculous blather about comfort isn’t an issue. We should celebrate new and innovative American knives and their makers. These threads are unreadable.

I have been carrying using mine. Strangely, it has become one of my favorite knives. If it were not for the big hole in the blade, which I call a fruit and debris catcher, I would like it even more. But yes, I have come to really appreciate it. It has an unspoken authority to it in the design.

How's the action? Would it flip if it had a tab?

I had the same feelings about it as others have mentioned, and as mentioned it has grown on me. My only complaint so far is edge retention/brittleness, I cut some 1/8th in plastic airline and it chipped the edge. It’s a little more than micro chipping but nothing I can’t fix.

Huh. I just ordered one. I like the looks, seems like one I'll be happy and unafraid to use a lot when i am always in need of something that can cut through a bunch of random things. I've a hand that should fit it well. I also am not afraid to sand down parts. I hated all the Cold Steel, most ZT and Spydercos fit weird. I can't stand frame locks. Ss long as it can hold up to cutting straps and notching wood, I can fix the rest. Everything is figureoutable.

I don't generally spend much time trying to analyze why I don't like a knife. No reason to with the (relatively few) instant Winners. Not really much reason to with the instant Nopes, either. It's the big category in between that I might give some thought to, especially if I think should like it more than I do. Hand feel is huge for me. If I don't immediately like the way it feels in my hand, I'm probably not going to carry it...even if I like everything else.

The G10 MSI was, for me, an instant Nope. I bought it because I liked the blade shape. When it got here, well, I still liked the blade shape. After a couple months, I decided I was just going to make it a user; so I took it back out, opened & closed it a few times...and put it back in the box. There wasn't much thought involved & I didn't notice anything I specifically disliked. (For those that never considered the idea, not liking something does not require disliking it.) I've got a few that I really like to carry and use, so I'm not exactly motivated to force myself. Just ask that darned umnumzaan that I thought I could learn to like.

I had some DLT rewards points burning a hole in my pocket, so I leapt into a MSI. I went with the FRN/injected molded handle as a more economical option to see if the knife would be a good fit for me. So far, I am quite impressed; I haven't been kind to it either. It's been a landscape companion, and has cut it fair share of plastic zip ties and clamshell packages (hey, it's Microtech's version of M390, which after all was a steel designed for cutting plastics). The edge has performed admirably so far, just some honing and a strop or two.

It is a large knife, but the handle isn't awkward for me; in fact I really don't have to adjust the knife in my hand at all to either open or close it.

I like the Ram Lok so much that I have a G10 Stitch arriving tomorrow. I have to believe that somewhere down the line, there will be some nice aftermarket scales for the MSI (there may already be), I will upgrade the MSI when I find what I like.

Back