Military Khukuris [WWII] (markings) - John Powell

Thanks N2S

Bro do you know how old the logo khukuri is? The reason I ask is because of the extra, it appears to me, small bolster and the cho so close to the handle.
As we know almost all the khuks of today suffer from cho creep in that the cho has gotten further away from the handle.

It's also sorta interesting that my preference in chos has come back to the, how is it called, the kowdi(?) or the cow track cho?
The ones I prefer though are those excellently executed with a perfect semi circle with sharp points at the blade and bolster ends and with also a well done center, center shape unimportant.
John & Ben posted some beautiful examples above.

I 'cleaned' up the cho one one of my YCS's. I laid a washer down flat over the cho that was close to the cho's size, drew a line around it with a magic marker, scibed a line with my extra pointy carbide scribe and then used my Ryobi 'dremel' tool with a carbide burr to trim it down to the scribed lines.
It added much to the looks of the knife.
And it also had the effect of making the ends very sharp on the cho!!!!:)

I figure the knife must have been made around 1940. It was carried in Burma by the Gorkha uncle of the kid who gave it to me so it had to be around that era.

Good little khukuri with a lot of sentimental value.

Does 'LL-64' underneath a broad arrow mean anything to anyone?

also, was talking to someone who said he traded a rucksack to a Gurkha for a khukuri (he's not selling it though), which is marked:

'ORDER
NEPAL
9/32'

this is a fairly modern khukuri--are these standard markings for a British Gurkha kukri?

cheers, B.

JP,
During vac. was asked about a M43, it had an old small China Burma patch in the handle,blade was marked "ALLIED, small lettered made in India"!I said in my opinion this was from WW2, India theatre,patch installed by troop serving there who wanted to have a keepsake! Sheath was WW2 military, K was "old" but taken care of, was given to him by a friend's son!I've handled a few of these, they are really "light & fast"! Wanted to know what it was worth, I told him, "Whatever someone will pay"!
jim

Back