Miscellaneous Fish Pics

fish2.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Some night fishing
nightscatch.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

camoninja, that's a great looking fish sir. I think I would like snook fishing. What gear did you use to catch it?

I've been really lucky the past week, me and a buddy (actually it ended up being 4 different buddies, different friend each time) have been able to get out a do a lot of fishing. We caught some fish but none of them were really pic worthy. This is one of the better ones I caught all week. I was using a Powell 683 spinning rod with a Shimano Symetre spooled with 10# P-Line Halo fluorocarbon. It was a fun little fight he put up, I had just broken off a better one than this about 30 minutes earlier. That's the way fishing goes sometimes though.

brushhogspotmarch2012.jpg

Wareagle, thats a small one lol. They get a lot bigger but ya have to throw them back. I used a custom rod shimano spinning reel. Custom made jig with 40 pound Power Pro. Fished the jetty that night.

I've been really lucky the past week, me and a buddy (actually it ended up being 4 different buddies, different friend each time) have been able to get out a do a lot of fishing. We caught some fish but none of them were really pic worthy. This is one of the better ones I caught all week. I was using a Powell 683 spinning rod with a Shimano Symetre spooled with 10# P-Line Halo fluorocarbon. It was a fun little fight he put up, I had just broken off a better one than this about 30 minutes earlier. That's the way fishing goes sometimes though.

Get that Baby Brush hog out of the picture, before other people start using it!!! ;)

Nice bass, and great lure!

tonym, I thought everyone ALREADY fished the Baby Brush Hog, at least it seems that way around here anyway. Thanks for the kind comments.

Nice bass

Great pics guys!! Keep them coming. I love seeing pics of fish other people have caught, some of them are species that I know I will never catch myself. Anywho I actually got out on the lake again this afternoon for about 3 hours, only got 5 bites but I sure did have a ton of fun being out on the water. I only hooked up with these 2 though, I missed 2 more on the same lure as I caught these on and missed the last one on a 7" swimbait.

Both fish were caught on the same set-up, it was a Powell 703C with a Shimano Citica 201E spooled with 15# P-Line CXX. I was using an Owner Zo Wire 4/0 flipping hook with a 1/4oz lead crimped to the shank with a greenpumpkin Strike King Smokin' Rooster with its tail dipped in chartreuse Spike It dye. The set-up I was fishing the swimbait on was a Shimano 7'7" Cumara Reaction rod with a Calcutta TE DC 201 spooled with 17# P-Line CXX. The fish felt like a GOOD one but I really couldn't tell because I didn't get the hook set past the barb and the fish came un-buttoned in about 5 seconds. For the short period I had him though he felt pretty good, he took probably a foot of drag before coming off. I had the drag set pretty thight to because 17# CXX is strong stuff and I'm not to worried about breaking it.

Anyway guys on to the pics...
april12thbass1.jpg

april12bass2.jpg

Great pics guys!! Keep them coming. I love seeing pics of fish other people have caught, some of them are species that I know I will never catch myself. Anywho I actually got out on the lake again this afternoon for about 3 hours, only got 5 bites but I sure did have a ton of fun being out on the water. I only hooked up with these 2 though, I missed 2 more on the same lure as I caught these on and missed the last one on a 7" swimbait.

Both fish were caught on the same set-up, it was a Powell 703C with a Shimano Citica 201E spooled with 15# P-Line CXX. I was using an Owner Zo Wire 4/0 flipping hook with a 1/4oz lead crimped to the shank with a greenpumpkin Strike King Smokin' Rooster with its tail dipped in chartreuse Spike It dye. The set-up I was fishing the swimbait on was a Shimano 7'7" Cumara Reaction rod with a Calcutta TE DC 201 spooled with 17# P-Line CXX. The fish felt like a GOOD one but I really couldn't tell because I didn't get the hook set past the barb and the fish came un-buttoned in about 5 seconds. For the short period I had him though he felt pretty good, he took probably a foot of drag before coming off. I had the drag set pretty thight to because 17# CXX is strong stuff and I'm not to worried about breaking it.

Anyway guys on to the pics...
april12thbass1.jpg

april12bass2.jpg

fine bass there bud. whats in the bottle in the top pic? secret weapon? lol

Hahahahaha, no hung-solo I don't know of any "secret weapons" in fishing, if I did I wouldn't be so careless with my pics. That is a bottle of Spike-It chartreuse dye with a VERY strong garlic scent. I'm not sure if it helps or not but in my mind it does so I always dye the tails of my baits with it. In the bottom pic you can kind of see that the tail is a different color than the rest of the plastic. Greenpumpkin is my favorite color for plastics because it just seems to work here no matter the conditions, hot, cold, clear water, or stained.

Hahahahaha, no hung-solo I don't know of any "secret weapons" in fishing, if I did I wouldn't be so careless with my pics. That is a bottle of Spike-It chartreuse dye with a VERY strong garlic scent. I'm not sure if it helps or not but in my mind it does so I always dye the tails of my baits with it. In the bottom pic you can kind of see that the tail is a different color than the rest of the plastic. Greenpumpkin is my favorite color for plastics because it just seems to work here no matter the conditions, hot, cold, clear water, or stained.

it didnt look like dye at first thats why i asked. a lot of guys use the pigs n jigs. i call that the secret weapon though its not really a secret. i dont use pig. i should lol................ ill keep the dye in mind for the dirty lakes around here. i ASSume in alabama that most of your lakes are stained unless you are in northern alabama where the "mtns" are.

green pumpkin works ok here. depends on water clarity. surprisingly junebug works very well around here. even in the clearer waters go figure

Yeah most of our water has a nice green tint to it, though it muddies up fairly easy with a good rain. I would say on average you can see down 2 to 4 feet when our water is at its usual color. I'm in central AL, I'm almost dead center of the state.

Junebug also works well here, though the last 3 or 4 years most of the plastics I buy are greenpumpkin. I've been very lucky in the fact that the Bassmaster Classic has been on Lay Lake twice in the last 5 years or so and I've been able to get out on the water and actually watch the pro's fish. The launch ramp is only about 20 minutes from my house so I haven't had to go to much trouble in order to see some of the best bass fishermen in the world fish my local waters. One of my close friends actually got to ride along with one of them for a day and he said that the pro told him that in Alabama the only color of soft plastic he ever throws is greenpumpkin with the tail dyed chartreuse. He also said that when he was at the ramp that morning and getting to look in all the pro's boats that the vast majority of them were also only using greenpumpkin. After that we started trying it out and found that it works really good here so there's really no reason to waste money on all the different colors of plastics. If it comes in greenpumpkin that's the color we always get.

Now don't get me wrong, a lot of different colors work here and there very well may be an even better color than greenpumpkin, I just have gotten to the point in my fishing where I like to keep everything as simple as I can because that way it seems that I actually enjoy fishing more and worry less about the tackle that I'm fishing. When I first started out I thought I had to try every color of every bait and have all the different size hooks and all the different weights just "to be ready for any situation" that may come up. It just all got to complicated to me and I really burned myself out on fishing there for a while because I was trying to make it WAY more complicated than it needed to be. Now I focus more on actually enjoying my time on the water instead of all the other junk that really doesn't matter.

Last thing, on the subject of colors, there are a few colors that really work well here in a particular style of bait. For example a Red Shad green flake currly tail worm works wonders here in the summer months but a lizard or creature bait in the same color doesn't do nearly as well. Also black and blue jigs with a black and blue trailer works great where a worm or lizard in black blue doesn't get a bite. Also just a plain ole solid white Zoom Fluke seems to work better than most of the rest of the colors that bait comes in, althought lately I have been having really good luck on a Fluke in their Baitfish color. I also can't get my head completely around the fact that fish bite lures in these certain colors but they don't look like anything that's actually in the lake?? I've never seen anything that is purple with green flakes in my local waters or red and black with green flakes.

Still LOVE to fish though, it's my favorite hobby by a long shot. I'm not a great fisherman but I still keep trying. Collecting fishing gear is worse than knives for me, I buy so many new reels and rods that I don't need and don't even get me started on the terminal tackle, WOW I'm a lost cause. As an example I just picked up these 4 new Curado 201G's this week from Bass Pro, don't even have rods for them. Got the ones in mind that I want for them though so maybe sometime in the next few months I'll be able to get them. On the new reels, Bass Pro had their spring "sale" thing they do where you can trade in a reel and get money off a new one and to go along with that Shimano was offering an additional $30 mail-in rebate so I just couldn't pass these new Curado's up. I mean I got them for $99 + tax each where they are regularly $159.99 + tax so I did pretty well on them I say. Also my local Bass Pro didn't have any in left hand retrieve so I had to wait while they ordered them for me, I ordered them in late Feb, and I only picked them up this past week so because it took so long the tackle manager let me pick any line I wanted to spool them up with. So I got one 300 yard spool of the new Power Pro Super 8 Slick braid in 30# test in the Timber Brown color and two 150 yard spools of the same line in 50# test Aqua Green. So that was $80 worth of line I got that just made my deal even better!

curadogs.jpg

Last edited:
This is the small pond that I fish about every week, it's right down the road from my house so it's just a short ride away. The people who actually own it are very nice and let me fish in it any time I want to. I took these pics today as I was there doing a little afternoon casting. Casting is all I did to, didn't even get a bite.
pond1.jpg

pond2.jpg

This is an old boat they have there, I never go out in it because it has a pretty nice size hole in it that sits really close to the water when someone is actually using it.
pondboat.jpg

Lastly this is a pic of my two "pond" combos, I pretty much have everything covered with one baitcaster and one spinning reel. The baitcaster is a Shimano Chronarch 101B on a Shimano CarboMax 6'6" MH rod spooled with 40# test Power Pro braided line. My spinning set-up is a Shimano Sahara 1500FB on a 7' M Shimano Scimitar rod spooled with 30# Power Pro braided line with a 15# test fluorocarbon leader of about 4 feet.
pondrods.jpg

I know none of these were actually fish pics but I just thought I would post a few of where some of my fish pics come from :D

Back