Modified 103 Drop Point

TAH

Gold Member
Saw this 103 on eBay and thought it was well done. Has anyone else tried it?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I did mine, taking it all apart and gave it a new stacked leather handle, higher grind line, straight spine, no hump, added a longer pommel so I could fit a lanyard hole into the handle.
Then with the added longer handle it won't fit in the 103 sheath. So, I gave it a new sheath. The Akouna sheath and this works great. I really enjoy carrying it now. DM

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This forum still has bugs and it takes getting used to, as well.

TAH, that is a great looking mod. Who did it? Any idea?

I forgot to add that I thinned out the edge profile. It now is a real good skinner. Thanks, DM

TAH, that is a great looking mod. Who did it? Any idea?

Not sure. It was under "completed listings" and sold for $51.00 out of Japan. I would have bid on it, if I had seen it. Whoever modified it, did a great job. Looks original and I like its small false edge.

David, your 103 is fantastic. A very useful blade shape. Thanks for the photo.

Last edited:
While we are talking about the Buck 103 - does anyone know if the original idea of the Buck 103 was an interpretation of the Nessmuk design? The 103 favors the Nessmuk somewhat. OH

No it was not. The 103 was a spin-off on Al's 110 Skinner from the 50's. Here is a photo of that model and you'll see the middle one resembles, not only the 103 but the others here you'll note are similar to the 118 & 105. I should add these are not my knives. They are Buck Collector, HK's knives. DM

Last edited:
Your welcome. On my mod., to insure that the heat treat was not compromised I ground slowly and dipped in water often. Then when finished (and before the handle)as a good measure I gave it a cryogenic soak and a stress relief temper afterward. As evidence the blade holds a good edge and no edge curing after use. DM

Last edited:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
[/QUittTE]
I saw that same 103. What a great looking knife. If i remember correctly it had a high shipping cost and thats why I didnt bid on It

Back