Mora 2000 Neverlost Edition Orange

So I got a mora 2000 neverlost and was batoning with it and about an inch of it bent, so I straighten it and it happened again, I straighten it and now it finally broke off. I'm thinking probably a poor heat treat. Does that sound right? :confused:

BTW this isn't a down on mora as I also own two clippers and they are dandy knives. I know mora did this as a contract for neverlost so it was probably done to the precision of what neverlost wanted.

Anyway I've tried emailing neverlost and all my messages are blocked. I did get ahold of Mora and whomever I emailed back with said they would send me a new one in the mail? :thumbup: Does that sound right?

Thanks Ash :)

The tip of a MORA 2K is very thin, it is designed this way to work as a kitchen knife, food prep and the like. I own a green one, and I would never Baton this knife, not unless I had to, which I never have (baton anything) ....I am glad they are sending you a new one, but I wouldnt baton the next one...The Mora 2K is a great knife, when used for knife stuff.
As to the bending of a blade, when you bent it back, and then bent it again, you were aligning the molecules, basically hardening the knife at the bend point, making it brittle. That why knives break in this manner...sometimes they just let go at once...some times it takes a few bends.

So I got a mora 2000 neverlost and was batoning with it and about an inch of it bent, so I straighten it and it happened again, I straighten it and now it finally broke off. I'm thinking probably a poor heat treat. Does that sound right? :confused:

BTW this isn't a down on mora as I also own two clippers and they are dandy knives. I know mora did this as a contract for neverlost so it was probably done to the precision of what neverlost wanted.

Anyway I've tried emailing neverlost and all my messages are blocked. I did get ahold of Mora and whomever I emailed back with said they would send me a new one in the mail? :thumbup: Does that sound right?

Thanks Ash :)

That does sound kinda funny, how far did it get bent before it did not spring back ?

I have bent my mora 2000 over 45 degree and it went back to straight when released.

I've never had to baton something in my life. I'd never even heard of it until a few years ago. While I've never needed to baton something, I did baton with my MK2000 a couple of times just because. It held up fine. I wasn't beating on it, and I wasn't trying to split a 4 inch think oak log. I'm curious as to what others have to say.

I was told by a knifemaker that the heat treat was poor. I was batoning little twigs and such to start a camp fire. No logs more then maybe 2". :eek: I was hitting the spine when all of a sudden it bent back. I'm not sure how it happened but it did. On the mora site it shows it as an outdoor, camping, and survival knife. The person at mora also said that should have never happened with just batoning.

I was told by a knifemaker that the heat treat was poor. I was batoning little twigs and such to start a camp fire. No logs more then maybe 2". :eek: I was hitting the spine when all of a sudden it bent back. I'm not sure how it happened but it did. On the mora site it shows it as an outdoor, camping, and survival knife. The person at mora also said that should have never happened with just batoning.

I would agree that something was wrong with the heat treat, The Mora 2K is a great knife, if you were just batoning branches, it should hold up to that. It is good news that you are getting it replaced..thats good customer service indeed.

So I got a mora 2000 neverlost and was batoning with it and about an inch of it bent,
Just a little piece of advice.
Any piece of hardened steel that takes a permanent bent (springing back in shape is OK) has gone beyond its normal use limit and should be considered "compromised". Not that you should throw it away and bury it immediately but you should keep in mind it has taken permanent damage and has become a lot more likely to break in that particular point. From there you should be careful with it and replace/retire it when possible (yeah, you could also keep it for quite a long time but we've come to a point where tools are pretty cheap at least compared to limb damage).

About initial damage, without seeing the actual piece of wood, hard to tell if it was abuse or defective knife. Some pieces of wood (hard wood, twisted branches) can be tricky, also you may have batoned sideways...

The new one arrived today. :thumbup: That was super fast shipping. :D I'm pleased. Mora stands behind there products 110% :)

Sorry to hear about yours failing like that. I have batonned with my Mora 2000 many many times and even a few times had the blade bend as it followed the grain of knotty wood (bent enough to make me go "Uh oh, I've killed it") but it's always came back to true.
ATB

I've never had to baton something in my life. I'd never even heard of it until a few years ago. While I've never needed to baton something, I did baton with my MK2000 a couple of times just because. It held up fine. I wasn't beating on it, and I wasn't trying to split a 4 inch think oak log. I'm curious as to what others have to say.

One of the first things I did was baton with my Mora 2k. It held up fine. I just wanted too see if it could and it was impressive. Never have had mine bend :confused: I am always cautious in keeping the blade straight and hitting straight down on the spine with a stick. Worked great.

OP: Sorry to here of your knifes premature death, glad to here Mora took care of you and stand behind a great product.

I have too stop reading the forum, because now I want an orange Neverlost Mora! :cool:

EDIT: Just seen a pic of the Neverlost Mora :(. I figured the grip would be orange instead of green. I wish the black and orange were switched. Still cool though, just not as cool as I had thought.

Last edited:
The handle is black and orange. Not green. :eek:
I was refering to my Mora 2000 grip being green so I figured the Neverlosts GRIP would be orange not black.
EDIT: Just seen a pic of the Neverlost Mora :(. I figured the grip would be orange instead of green. I wish the black and orange were switched. Still cool though, just not as cool as I had thought.

As in green grip of the Mora 2000 vs. the not orange grip of the neverlost.:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back