Mora Knives

There's been a fair bit of discussion in the past on Mora blades and why they are recommended in the Bushcraft book. I believe that this is the most appropriate forum to discuss them since people here are constantly experimenting with jobs that such knives are appropriate for. The knives and blades are cheap and easily found so even people who have never used one can pick one up to try if they want.
I guess that the reason I would like discussion is that with these knives we can have a benchmark to discuss what they can do, and realistically what other knives can do better (and why). They come in many blade lengths and widths - all with the same steels and general construction, so people with different preferences in blade length can still discuss them, and why they prefer their model.

I was at the store and picked up a Mora knife for $8.95 CAN ($5 US). It's the red painted birch handled plastic sheathed ugly one - this one with a 6" non laminated carbon blade. I'll be getting a full set to try out different blade steels (laminated and non laminated, stainless..) and blade lengths. I've owned some before - but always gave them away. I always considered them toolbox knives.

So in the store I picked one up at random out of 50. When I have time I can pick over the rest more critically! The first strange point is that now I've obviously become more interested in knife function - the looks don't offend me so much!

It was quite true that one of these selected at random will slice paper. It looked as if the blade had been polished to an edge with some rounded grind marks still apparent. When I examined the blade with a 16X magnifier, I saw that I was wrong. There is a minute secondary bevel, quite steep too. The saber grind is also slightly hollow ground.
It's quite a bit of work with a glass plate and abrasives to get the edge straight, and get past the bits where grinding has altered the temper. If you don't do this you'll end up with a blade that cuts paper very well - but parts of the blade will seem to blunt quickly and tear while others seem to just keep going. I wanted to follow the saber grind taper. I'm prepared to believe that this blade is somewhere around R60+ as the ads say. Subjectively it is harder to sharpen than a Scrade carbon blade, and it seems to hold an edge better in paper cutting - both being sharpened past factory edge defects. I haven't yet checked to see if the edge chips easily with this degree of hardness.

The handle always put me off in the past because I am used to handles with guards - or at least some sort of grip to stop slipping onto the blade. I consider this one quite dangerous since the red paint becomes VERY slick when wet. Peel a few potatoes and you'll see just how slick it can get. I believe that others - like me - will feel much better about the knife after taking a propane torch to the handle: you can only improve the looks of this knife. Birch fire-hardens very well so go slowly but thoroughly. Eroding enough wood to bring up the grain gives a much more secure grip, as does grinding, filing, or even burning a few dimples to give more contact with surface of fingers on underside. As long as you weren't expecting to find any curly birch under the red paint, I would expect most people to be much happier at this point: the knife actually looks OK. An oil finish rubbed in will give protection and surprisingly more grip even if finished to a slick finish. Leaving enough blackened wood on the final finish will leave the wood quite hard. Once so treated the knife can be used quite safely with wet hands.
I can see daylight through the handle on my knife. The main supports seem to be where the blade meets the handle and at the back rivet on the tang. You'd sure want to soak some glue down the handle hollow (as suggested by James Mattis) before using this knife to cut up chicken and stuff. I'm wondering just how well this knife handle will hold up with use of a baton.

The plastic sheath is secure if ugly. It could serve as a good blade protector to build a leather sheath around for looks.

Oh well off to test with a baton.. One thing I won't try today is Mors Kochanski's notion of how to test a knife for strength. Pg 111 in old book says to drive knife into tree 4cm at right angles to grain, then stand on handle. And I thought I was thorough...

Jimbo

Update:
I must admit that I'm shocked that the handle of the Mora survived the baton beating of the blade. The baton didn't do too well since I didn't bother fire hardening some birch - and the back of the blade is very rough. One way of getting kindling splinters in a hurry. No problem smacking down 3" alder in quantities to build a shelter frame - if you need them that thick. Using a rock instead of a baton is improving the looks of the back of the blade, giving it the crafted hammered look.
Chopping small 1" alders is no problem despite the lightness of the knife and the handle was quite comfortable for this. The burning and brushing (with a brasss brush) has created shallow ripples in the handle which give a very stable grip while not affecting comfort.
Shaving a whole pile of dead lower branches from various conifers was no problem, and was a lot more comfortable than using my Gerber Bolt Action pocket knife on a few. Dragging cuts produced fuzzes that curled at the tips. I had a lot more length of blade than I needed and I still don't see much point to such a long blade - but that's just my preference. I find the handle too narrow at the front too - but maybe that's a reflection of what I'm used to using since it isn't uncomfortable - just doesn't feel quite right. If the handle were turned around I'd find it perfect.
The downside of the knife is the lack of lateral strength. I don't think you'd get very far with prying with this knife. I bet I could wrap the blade and bend the knife permanently at the blade/ handle junction with my hands.
Anyway came home, picked up the weekend advertiser newspaper and no problem shredding it all despite all the cutting the knife had done. I don't think that the only comparable knife I have (a Schrade Deerslayer) could do this despite similar sharpening - I'll have to test them alongside each other.

Jimbo

Looking forward to results of your research on the excellent Mora blades. Lee Valley Tools offers several unmounted blades by Frost. Frost and Erickkson are the only two knife manufacturers left in Mora, I understand. I have a knife by a defunct Mora cutlery firm, Johnsson, with a 4.5" long blade. It appears to be a little heavier duty (thicker) than the current ones. I have a bunch of 'em, a couple of Frosts plastic handled in plain carbon for abuse (they live in the garage), a couple of the nice woodcarving 3.75" Frost laminated blades, which hold terrific edges but seem to me a little thinner than the Erickssons; a 4.5" laminated blade from Lee Valley Tools which I mounted in a piece of moose antler from a hunting trip. I think of that one as the poor man's Kellam puukko. Ragnar of ragweedforge (I think that's the correct website) informed me that the laminated blades are made in France. I'd like to know what the carbon steel is... being Swedish steel and having used them, I know it's excellent. I believe Frosts uses Sandvic's 12C27 in at least some of their stainless blades, and by all counts it's a very good steel. For some reason I have not been able to find the red wooden handled laminated blades made by Frosts, although I have one by Ericksson. These knives may not be good for prying (I also wondered about Kochanski's test of standing on the handle), but they sure are good for cutting. They make a nice, um, letter opener for a purse or briefcase, too.

Hi guys;

Thanks for putting up with my long winded review. To me there is something strange with these knives outperforming other cheap knives in terms of edge holding. I certainly look forward to trying the shorter laminated blades. I have some coming like the ones you used Ed - How did you fix into moose antler?

I don't expect the 6" to be long lived with the present handle at heavy duty batonning - maybe I'm wrong since it's still tight.. I just see the torque as being too great with no glue in handle and such a long blade. As far as I can see the handle is secured at just the front and back rivet. I've been trying sideways stresses and it actually will take more than would generally be used with a knife - it'll handily pry off large spruce bark flakes and such. I'll be giving it a workout to breaking handle since I think I have a handy supply of 50 year old maple school desk legs to use in making handles.

I've been sharpening back my Schrade to make sure that I'm getting past decarbonized areas of the edge but so far the Mora easily beats it on straight paper cutting. I've hardly moved back from the original edge on the Mora - I've just flattened the saber grind to get rid of the secondary bevel - so it can only get better too. There's no comparison with Gerber stainless or AUS8, though Gerber tool steel will easily beat it.

I've been looking at puuko blades here: http://www.brisa.multi.fi/start3.html
but so far I haven't seen anything I want badly enough to put up the postage. Maybe after I get some more Frost's blades.. I did get the Bergman book on knifemaking, so I'm all set.

Jimbo

Jimbo..Good review!..I was just looking at all the Scandinavian Knives on the Chai Cutlery.com site..I like the vibe there!! (the owner is a member of this forum) ...think I will try some Mora's in the kitchen ... http://www.chaicutlery.com/moraknives.html
Barry

[This message has been edited by Spim (edited 05-08-2000).]

Another way to improve grip: tie a turkshead or constrictor hitch in the middle of the handle so it fits between your middle and ring fingers.

-Cougar :{)

Jimbo, that moose came out of the Dease Lake country, about five or six hours north of Kitimat. My buddy and I drifted the river for five or six days and took a nice big moose with a respectable set of antlers. We're aiming for elk next fall (with luck). Moose antler is much denser than deer, makes great handles.

Hi Spim - you won't go wrong dealing with James Mattis, and you certainly won't go wrong with using these knives in the kitchen, since you can get the plastic handled ones with a choice of steels. If you do decide to use the wooden handled ones in the kitchen, just remember the burning and linseed oil before you ever use one with a wet hand - and sealing the handle hole with epoxy - James mentions this on his page. Since I don't use a dishwasher, I intend to use the wooden handled knives in the kitchen - carbon blades too - to discourage me from leaving them in the sink ready to slice me.
Cougar - I thought about this in the past. With the paint burned off the handle and the grain of the wood raised by burning and brushing it is totally unnecessary. It does appear though that these knives are in common use for training camps. If I was going to have one issued to me and couldn't burn the handle I'd sure appreciate that trick! This is seriously sharp steel!
Ed - Is there any chance of getting a picture of that knife? I can get hold of some moose antler. I've floated sections of the Dease around Cassiar - what a beautiful river, depending on the time of year you are never quite sure what is going to hit the fly next!

Jimbo

Glad to see you enjoy blades from my part of the world. The Mora knives are by far the most common knife over here. You can buy it everywhere for a few bucks and there are usually several in every household. It is also one of the knifes issued by the military. Truly a part of our heritage. The low cost justifies rough use and if it breaks you´ll just reach for another. They are allways razor sharp from the factory. We used them as wood-cleavers in the army while out in the field. Chop it into the wooden chunk/log and beat on it with a hammer. But they tend to break after a while. Enough to get a fire started anyway. That´s why I bought my CS SRK... Whack, whack, whack, all night long...
Can´t have too many of those.

Pelle, what is the consensus on the Fallknivens over there? I might be wrong, but I thought that they are used as survival knives in the Swedish Army. Here, they received very good reviews and I am eyeing one.
Thanks,

HM

I picked up a couple of Frost knives when I was in England a few years ago. Red painted handles, and they appear to have laminated blades. This is the knife that I have jumped into a ditch with and cut into hard plastic hose that had to be trimmed to bring water into my house, now I have a lot of other knives to use, but wallowing around it a very muddy ditch does not promote the urge to grab a ~Nice~ knife for the job. But the Frost worked very well and cut better than I thought it would, so I'm all for them they take a beating and being inexpensive you don't mind it as much
smile.gif

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

I think that most people have never had a knife as sharp as a Mora when they first get one. They are wonderful slicers and carvers, not choppers. I just purchased a batch of Ericksson #711 knives for my highschool survival class from Cha'i cutlery, and the kids are amazed at the work they can do.

Which steel is preferred - high carbon or stainless steel - in a survival situation?

Is Frosts' Tri-Flex Carbon Steel supposed to be a compromise between the two?

Which steel works better as a sparker (for magnesium rods, etc.)???

Ok guys. Here's one of my mora's hanging out in my 15 minute, no-sew, neck knife sheath. I based the sheath on one I saw from a link I picked up at the Plainsman's forum.
http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/moraneck.htm

Here are the original links.
http://www.gripclips.com/primitiveways/pt-knifesheath.html
http://www.gripclips.com/primitiveways/pt-antlerhandleknife.html

BTW, the Plainsman's Cabin forum is absolutely kick butt if you are interested in wilderness, survival, primitive arts.Great links and the atmosphere is great too. The Plainsman has done good. Give him a visit!
http://pub7.ezboard.com/bplainsmanscabin

As for stainless vs carbon, carbon is great but those Scandinavians make a darn good stainless so I don't think you will go wrong with either. I have both and I like both.

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

[This message has been edited by Hoodoo (edited 05-25-2000).]

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the stainless Scandinavian blades are laminated, with a high carbon steel core sandwiched between outer layers of 18-8 stainless steel. Thus you get the edge holding qualities of high carbon and the rust resistance of stainless.

I think that most will like the look of Hoodoo's sheath. Combined with the functional but ugly plastic sheath, as an insert it has to be one of the easiest constructed and safest sheaths around.
I like the carbon steel 6" Mora - it sure holds an edge and sparks as well as a hacksaw blade. The stainless Swedish blades I have spark well too. I'm still waiting on some laminated blades. I don't believe that the stainless is Sandvik but rather some euro mystery steel (whatever they could get a good buy on at the time): that being said - they still hold quite an edge - quite a bit better than more expensive knives. Depends on whether you like carbon steel and the joys of looking after it.
I'll be putting up details on non-destructive handle removal of the wooden handled models soon. They can sure use some epoxy inside!

Jimbo

I forgot to mention that I saved an inch or two of the original plastic sheath and stuffed it into the bottom of the neck sheath.

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

Back