Kershaw Blur
ZT0562
ZT0450
Benchmade 940-?
Benchmade 550/556
Spyderco Endura/Delica

Schrade Fixed Blade of any size you like
Gerber Multi-Tool
Gerber Dime (the best keychain multitool IMO)

I downsized my collection to where its just knives I use recently.
1) Microtech OTF- One of those "simply cool" knives that does have some edc function.
2) Mora/Puukko/Woodlore- Mora is the perfect cheap belt knife. It is really hard to beat a scandi grind knife for general belt knivies.
3) Rat1/Avispa/Opinel-great cheap folders
4) Boker Camp knife-sometimes you want a fancy scout/SAK knife.
No longer in my collection, but ESEE Junglas if you want to know what a chopper can and should be able to do.

After 40+ years of playing this game I've purchased or traded for all the must haves, and then bought or traded for more. I've finally decided a Spyderco Military was "all that". But it hasn't stopped the itch

Reactions: whp
I'm not sure I believe in the concept of must haves. Looking over the suggestions posted so far, I have a mixed response. Some I have tried & dislike, other's I have not tried because I already know I won't like them. There are also some that I've tried & loved...but that doesn't mean that the person to whom I recommend them will feel the same way. I've got a friend that likes knives, and our tastes are different. When he asks me for a recommendation, I set aside my own perspectives & consider his.

1. CRK Small Sebenza - Drop Point - S30V - I've had this one for about 12 years. It went on every Scout trip I went on with my kids. Apart from the history I have with it, I find it to be virtually perfect in all respects. When I got the knife below, I made this one my dedicated backpacking/peak bagging knife.

2. CRK Small Sebenza Insingo - S35VN - IMHO, the perfect edc knife. I carry it virtually every day.

3. KBar MC - Mine's 33 years old now. Carried it for 10 years anytime I was in the field as an infantryman. Not the world's best hard duty knife, but it served me well enough/never let me down. I don't use it anymore, but iy will always be in my collection.

4. Victorinox SAK - I carried this one on duty as well. Actually used it a lot more than the Kbar.

I could live just fine with the above four, which are my real must haves. If I ever lost any of them, the only one's I'd replace are the CRKs.

If we include multitools, I'd add a LM Wave and PS4. I always have one of these on me (usually the Wave). I use them almost daily for some on the spot repair.

If we opened this up to include the knife I'd really hate to lose, I'd add my CRK Mnandi (Thuya Burl Wood) It took me a very long time to find one that spoke to me the way this one did. I let a really nice one go about four years ago (Honduran Rosewood) and regretted it until I recently pulled the trigger on the Thuya Burl.

Olamic 247 (Absolutely everything is fantastic)
Benchmade 710 (Classis Benchmade design)
Kershaw Leek (Great gentleman's knife)
ZT 0560 (Rugged as all hell and great ergos)
Benchmade Ritter Grip (Great blade shape and steel)
GiantMouse GM2 (Insanely light for the size, perfect centering, lockup, factory edge on both of mine)

Spyderco manix 2, pm2 ,benchmade 940, Coldsteel ultimate hunter

Bradford guardian 3, Survive gso 4.7 , barkriver bravo 1 , Fallkniven f1... just a few that came to mind

KA-1252-Kabar-USMC-Knife.jpg

Amen. Leather washers for collection, plastic for use.

That said, has anyone ever wondered why ka-bar just don't use G10 for the grip? I know the Keaton is nice and all, but I'm afraid that it will wear easier.

Spyderco manix 2, pm2 ,benchmade 940, Coldsteel ultimate hunter

Bradford guardian 3, Survive gso 4.7 , barkriver bravo 1 , Fallkniven f1... just a few that came to mind
Interesting that you include the Ultimate Hunter in your group. An amazing under the radar knife.

A Rockstead... most amazingly ground and sharpest blade in the world. IMO

A Shirogorov for the action and the amazing machine work

A Chris Reeves for the beautiful simplicity and amazing tolerances

A Thorburn for the blade grind and flipping action

A Curtis for the rock solid build

A agree with all these but the price puts people out of that range.

There are a number way of looking at "must haves". Must have as examples of knife design and history? Must have as the best utility and bang for buck? Must have as man jewelry? Maybe you could be a bit clearer.

I agree the range is to broad.

Maybe historically or rounded out different knives like
slip joint
lockback
liner lock
multi tool
OTF or other automatic ..ect

Buck 110
Buck 119
Ontario Rat 1
BK-9
Mora Robust
Opinel No8
OKC Carter Prime
Machete of choice - Tramontina, Imacasa, Ontario, and/or Gavilan

A Mora, Becker, TM Hunt, CRK, Spyderco Military, there's lots out there that are must haves!

My must have production keepers are:

PM2
Delica
Griptillian
SMF/SnG
XM18
Sebenza
CQC7

GEC 73
Case 62032
Queen #2
Schrade 93ot