My 'Famous' M43 Kukri

This is the M43 Kukri I used to build a couple trappers cabins and several dozen other shelters during my several year survival living slog. I ordered it from Yangdu through snail mail as I didn't have much access to the Internet in those days. It is a Bura made blade. The sheath was rough when I got it....and use has made it a bit rougher.

IMG_00000016_zps2dbab2e3.jpg

IMG_00000018_zps435c117a.jpg

IMG_00000017_zpsd6e4dfbf.jpg

This last pic shows the Bura blade in the old style with one of the new type.

IMG_00000020_zpsfb9bcb18.jpg

Hope you all enjoy....and I hope all the pics post as I'm very new to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fine looking blade. If I had needed any more convincing that the M-43 is my next HI knife this would have cinched it. Was the M-43 your go-to utility blade for the duration of your wilderness living?

Where were you holed up for that period?

I have friends and relatives that built a "squatters cabin" about 40 years ago. Reachable only by snowmobile. They used it for a few seasons, then got wise and quit (something about it being a crime!)

Yes Torm it was. It was backed up by an R10 later, after a Camillus Pilot's survival knife.

The M43 is such a winner due to its design improvements over the WWII. It chops like a maniac while being very fluid and nimble in the hand. It's point is on centerline of thrust with the hand in a natural position which makes it even more efficient in combative applications. As to utility the Kukri is more versatile than any other single tool I have ever found. It even makes a terribly efficient drawknife, which comes in handy when making bows and throwing sticks.

It is still my favorite knife, though I have several more these days.

I really wish I had the knowledge to make and post videos as I could share a wealth of techniques in the survival use of this blade.

BigFatty

I camped out around 20 miles or so from the closest towns, traveling back into the Yakima Washington area once every month or three. Usually following river and creek drainages. It was useless to camp much closer to towns as your camp would get robbed by dope fiends. Later as I was able to aquire my Clark Jungle Hammock I was able to keep much more mobile and somewhat safely be closer to town. Most of my time was up in the Cascades.

Hello,
What an interesting sounding story!
What is the overall length of the blades? I have an M43 and while the balance is incredible, I am still debating taking it or my WWII.
I am fascinated by the idea that you lived off the land with just these knives... any way you can elaborate or direct me to a link if you have already told the story.
Also, what is an R10?
Thanks

NYCDanman

An R10 is a 5" bladed utility knife made by Himalayan Imports.

I don't have any idea how to retrieve and post the requested links, my story has been posted in bits and pieces in several posts on BladeForums.com

Surviving with the M43 as my primary blade was not really a problem, but, I had very well established survival skills to work from. The M43 is just a highly efficient tool for the purpose giving an unbelievable amount of utility for its size and weight.

Both knives are roughly 18" overall length. Only the Bura made M43 with the horn handle was used in those hard times, later with the R10. The new style M43 was added around 3 years ago. It is only shown to make plain the difference between the older and newer style.

Ya bout time eh Ivan!

Still it took me three or four tries to post this thread....I really am a caveman with a computer. Waaaaaaay outside my skillset.

Wow, Bura's blades are so incredible to look at. Even if just in pictures. I would give anything for one of his M43s. Excellent post thank you.

By tradition kukri handles are shorter and have a wide pommel flair, but most westerners complain about the comfort of these traditions. Thats why many of the newer HI handles are shaped different, and are much larger/longer.

That's awesome Mike! As someone who also roams the North Cascade Mountains of Washington, I have found my Kukri (made by another reputable manufacturer) an indispensable tool. When I first got it, my friends were like "why did you buy a tourist knife?!" soon afterward they saw its utility. What I have found is that the sheaths however could use some improvement, at least in the rainy environment we are in. Mine quickly fell apart within weeks of use with the leather and wood splitting open as soon as the pointy brass chape fell off. How was your experience?

My sheath has held up fairly well. The chape did come loose, I slipped it back on and using a nail as a centerpunch tapped the pointed ear into the sheath making it act like a staple. I have also made traditional Kukri type sheaths, deerskin lined with welt for another knife. They are fairly easy to make.

If you are set up for a bit of leathercrafting then it is easy to make an open spine sheath.

North Cascades is a wonderful area...ever spend much time up around Stehekin?

Mike, now that you can post pictures, any chance of posting pics of your sheath work? Especially the more traditional ones?

Great pix of Bura M-43,thank you for sharing

It is nice to finely see the blade which started so many M43 fires burning:) Now, IIRC, that old Bura is around 24 oz. or so. Does that sound right? That weight and the overall profile (handle/blade ratio) follows the historic M43/Mk. II pretty well Thanks for posting the pics. Take care.

Jdk1 you nailed it, maybe a little over 24oz but right in there generally.

Bemo I will try posting a pic or two of that sheath later, It was made for a custom chopper I had made.

wildmike, how does your current use of khukuris fit in with your use of axes and hatchets?
In other words, for what situations and tasks do you use a khukuri instead of a hatchet or axe?
Thanks for posting this thread.

Wildmike, I just picked up the m43 from today's DOD because of this post. The model wasn't even on my radar. Thanks for bringing to my attention!

Mus....now you're sunk. These things are highly addictive. You'll love the M43 it sings in the hand, a bit of use to get used to it, and you won't want to let it go.

Steve most of the time it just depends on what I want to carry, and if I'm just going out to play I may take several tools on the same trip. The Kukri's wins for versatility over the most applications. The axe is far preferable in winter camping and when keeping a large fire going. If I were again in a situation where I was likely going to be building survival shelters, cooking outdoors on a small fire or improvised stove I'd be taking the kuk hands down. My GB hatchets will do much of the same work but not with as much versatility. For example I can use a hatchet to drawknife with a bit of adaptation and work....but nowhere near as well as can be done with the kuk. Overall the Kukri is the clear winner from my experience.

But I still love my axes and hatchets.

Back