My First Case... with a scratch

I am new to traditional knives. After doing some research, I decided on the Case SBJ with CV blades to be my first nice traditional. I just got it today and I love it. But I did notice a small scratch (?) on the blade. Is this normal? I doubt it is but figured I would ask. The scratch is hard to pick up with a fingernail so i dont think it is very deep, but it is definitely noticeable to the eye. My question is.. will this affect the usability or durability of the knife? If it will just affect the aesthetics, I can live with it, but I do not want to jeaopardize the future (or present) of the knife. Everything else with it is perfect. Worth sending back to either Case or the dealer? My only problem sending it back really is that I would be without the knife for quite some time as I wait out the process. What do you think? Does this type of scratch affect anything besides looks?

sbj.jpg

Looks like the blade made contact with the liner?

If you intend to use it, don't worry one bit. It will acquire many more scratches :D

I don't think it has any affect on functionality, etc. It only affects your joy of the purchase and so forth. If you are going to use it, its going to develop its own scratches and marks and patina, and you might try to just ignore it until it is subsumed by the other dings and scratches you are going to put on it. But if it bothers you greatly - and I can understand why it would - it might be best just to send it back. So it really boils down to your comfort level. But I'd say it has no affect on function or durability or anything like that.

Functionally, a non-issue most likely. Check to see if the edge itself is rubbing against a liner or adjacent blade. If the cutting edge is rubbing, then that could be an annoying maintenance issue, in keeping the edge sharp in that spot. Otherwise, if not rubbing the edge, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

You might also look for a burr in the brass liner, if it's rubbing against one. That might be enough to leave a light mark on the polished blade. The brass is soft enough, it can't really abrade the steel deeply at all, but might just burnish the surface of it a little.

Edit:
Looking at the pic again, it looks as if the scratch extends in straight-arrow fashion directly perpendicular to the shoulder of the bevel. That may've been a stray particle of abrasive from the belt used to put the final edge on the blade, before it was shipped. If I recall correctly, Case puts the cutting edge on the blade using a wide belt grinder, in edge-leading orientation (belt moving into the cutting edge; this was on a video I've seen of their factory process). That would be the perfect setup to shoot a stray particle of the belt's abrasive up the side of the blade, from the shoulder.

Most blade/liner rub marks are usually curved at least a little bit, which makes sense because the blade opens & closes in an arc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The scratch does not affect the edge itself, but stops right before it. My main concern was that it would affect the functionality of the blade, but not the look of it. One more question for you guys.. for now.. Are the blades supposed to be centered on this knife? As this is my first real traditional, Im not sure if multi-blade knives are supposed to have their blades centered as well. Sorry if a dumb question. The look of it doesnt really bother me, but if they are supposed to be centered, than that is what I would like.

sbj3.jpg

sbj2.jpg

Functionally, a non-issue most likely. Check to see if the edge itself is rubbing against a liner or adjacent blade. .

The blade edge is close to the liner, but almost too close to tell if it is rubbing. Is there an easy way to determine whether it actually is or not?

Last edited:
The blade edge is close to the liner, but almost to close to tell if it is rubbing. Is there an easy way to determine whether it is or not?

Maybe mark or coat the blade/edge with something (Sharpie comes to mind), then open & close the blade a few times. Use a magnifier to see where the ink rubs off, if it does at all. The more I think about it, the more I think that might be a scratch from the final sharpening of the blade at the factory (I edited my earlier post & added a comment about this, if you hadn't seen the addition).

Personally, I don't like the looks of those off centered blades. A little off center isn't bad but those are way over there.

Are the blades on this knife supposed to be centered?

Ideally, yes, but just like any other folder they aren't always.

As mentioned, it won't hurt the function of the knife as long as the edge is not rubbing. Maybe it isn't as bad as your photos suggest but I would be concerned that the edge would rub eventually after repeated sharpenings.

Those blades just look too far over against the liners to me.

Ive had several Cases that have off centered blades/blade rub. Ones that are collectible, i sent back to Case and they handled it. The ones I use, i dont worry about it. But Case will fix it for free, if you want to wait for 6-8 weeks to get it back.

They look ominously close to the liners. When pinching or nicking the blade open, you probably get rub marks - hence the scratch on the new blade.

My Swaybacks have blades in the centre, where they should be. I'd return it and request a replacement, it's not good enough.

Regards, Will

Thanks for the fast replies guys. I was going to send it to Case, until I saw how long it takes. I got it through a popular online dealer. I have been in contact with them and they are giving me free shipping both ways and will replace the knife. I hate to be picky/anal, but I think Ill be happier in the long run if I just replace it now. Thanks again for helping out a noob.

Gotta say tho, I love the knife and how it feels in the hand. Cant wait to get the replacement.

I got it through a popular online dealer. I have been in contact with them and they are giving me free shipping both ways and will replace the knife. I hate to be picky/anal, but I think Ill be happier in the long run if I just replace it now.

The scratch cited in the first post would be a non-issue for me. However, you made a good call returning a knife with blades that far off center. Before you know it, you'll be back in business.

-- Mark

....and the replacement is in the mail. I plan on holding onto the "defective" knife until the new one comes in so I can compare/contrast. Thanks again fellers. Ill let y'all know how the replacement is.

....and the replacement is in the mail. I plan on holding onto the "defective" knife until the new one comes in so I can compare/contrast. Thanks again fellers. Ill let y'all know how the replacement is.

Good move. Sounds like you picked the right dealer too. :thumbup:

you may also be inadvertently pushing the blade into the liner a bit when opening it, caught myself doing it with blades that werent even off center

You did the right thing replacing the knife. I purchased two peanuts from two different dealers several weeks back. They both arrived the same day and both had severe misalignment. They went directly to Case. Mary Ann and crew repaired the knives.... Just waiting for vacation week to end to get them back in the mail.

I guess the lesson is buy in person when possible (advise I have heard many times on this forum). I am now willing to pay the extra $15 bucks or so for a Peanut to ensure fit and finish is where it needs to be.

Enjoy your new knife.
Peter

Sorry if a dumb question.
Remember, the only dumb question is the one not asked. You had a very valid concern, and you are asking questions about it. Not dumb at all. Hope your replacement is perfect, and I hope you enjoy your knife. Use it in good health :)

So I got the replacement in.. The blades have no scratches and the knife seems great. The blades are centered (or lack there of) just like the last one, and it honestly doesnt bother me too much. For some reason, the scratch on the blade bothered me more than the off centered blades. I have noticed one thing though. When I open the primary blade from half stop to full, it doesnt have the sharp crisp click that I get when I open up the other one. What could cause this? Too much factory oil? Not enough? Something very satisfying and reassuring when I hear the click. The secondary blade on both of them dont have that crisp sound. But the "blemished" one definitely has a much louder "click" when opened than the new one. Any thoughts? Thanks guy

Back