My First Randall Knife

DTHN2LGS, I just noticed a guy selling a 5" companion with sawteeth. He said it was new from shop. Do you suppose that was an option 4 years ago that is no longer avail? Or is it perhaps still available?

Its about halfway down, with the yellow handle that is also no longer available...

http://acutabovecustomcutlery.com/Randall .2.html

I see many good recomendations in this post. One that I would make is that if you want a compass, get one seperate from the knife.
If your new RMK is used for wood work or any thing with knife involved with impact the compass will not hold up.

P.S. Ask me how I know :eek:

Last edited:
DTHN2LGS, I just noticed a guy selling a 5" companion with sawteeth. He said it was new from shop. Do you suppose that was an option 4 years ago that is no longer avail? Or is it perhaps still available?

Its about halfway down, with the yellow handle that is also no longer available...

http://acutabovecustomcutlery.com/Randall .2.html

The new catalog says Sawteeth are available on the Combat Companion. The Yellow Micarta is not.

Order yourself a Catalog from Randall's website, it's free.

https://www.randallknives.com/catalogrequest.php

Get a compact folding saw for sawing, a Silva or other compass for route finding (I think I've used a compass maybe twice in 40+ years of hunting/hiking) and a simple blade for cutting.

After all these years of only using Busse knives, I decided to find what a Randall feels like. So about a year or so ago, I decided to order a # 14 attack with green Micarta and a number 16 dive knife with Green micarta border guard handle, saw teeth, stainless steel single hilt. I finally got the letter that they were in. and am awaiting them to come in. Can't wait to feel them in my hands and to view their beauty. they may not be going to the field with me to be batoned through tree limbs, but after all these years of messing with survival knives and to have never even held a Randall, I"m looking forward to it.. will have to post pics when they come in :)

fb, looking forward to seeing the pics - those are both great RMK's :thumbup:

Frank, looking forward to the pics. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with both of those blades.

After all these years of only using Busse knives, I decided to find what a Randall feels like. So about a year or so ago, I decided to order a # 14 attack with green Micarta and a number 16 dive knife with Green micarta border guard handle, saw teeth, stainless steel single hilt. I finally got the letter that they were in. and am awaiting them to come in. Can't wait to feel them in my hands and to view their beauty. they may not be going to the field with me to be batoned through tree limbs, but after all these years of messing with survival knives and to have never even held a Randall, I"m looking forward to it.. will have to post pics when they come in :)

Well, here they are my # 14 attack and # 16 diver. They feel great in the hand and have a very classic feel to them. I've never owned a finger groove handle like this before, and it fits like a glove when you grasp it. the Border guard handle is also an awesome feel. I'm already planning my next version of the # 16 SF.. I can't see myself batoning these through branches like I do my Busse blades, but they do have their place in my "best blades" impressive, and definitely not my last Randalls :)
DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

received my first RMK about four moths ago and my second just yesterday. After waiting nearly five years for each (yes did it the hard way) I thought it would be easy to sheath them and start using them.

here is my dilema: the first a model 19 with stag, finger grooves, nickle silver hilt and but plate, wrist thong, silver and black spacers and it is stainless (7 options). Plenty out there so there would be no problem taking it afield, right? no, wrong, it is beautiful, and I cant bring myself to sheath it!

the second, a model 5, brass hilt and spacers, stainless and a piece of stag that is just great. So now i can save one and use one, right? ..........no, i can't bring myself to sheath that one either.

Thats the dilema, I bought them to use them, but what workmanship, what stag....how does anyone use them? does anyone else have this problem?

"Does anyone else have this problem?" Sure, most of us do. My low cost opinion (both cents worth) is: keep those two pristine and buy a few low cost users... :D

That's why I prefer Micarta for a user. I still haven't used/sheathed the Model 27 Mini I have with a Stag handle, even though I thought I would.

But I will use the Model 23 with Micarta! It has already been sheathed in both of the sheaths I have for it.

Back