My observations - Tenacious, Persistence and Sage 1

These are my first and only (for now) Spydercos that I own. Some thoughts or my two cents....however you want to look at it.
  • Very impressed with Syderco in general - seem to put out good products
  • Tenacious and Persistence must be one of the best values going right now - very solid product for what they cost
  • Sage 1 is one sweet knife - perfect EDC size, great CF scales, super smooth action and nice fit/finish. Love the choil to choke up too.

Here's my only issue and it's not a deal breaker for me. Is the Sage 1 really that much better for the extra cash$$? Is the better blade steel and CF scales worth it? I don't know because I'm just getting in to knife collecting.

Is the Sage 1 overvalued or are the Tenacious/Persistence undervalued (by a lot)? I don't know, but I love all three for their own reasons. I would love to hear what others have to say.
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/hill4535
/spyderco002.jpg
spyderco001.jpg

spyderco005.jpg

spyderco003.jpg

spyderco004.jpg

spyderco006.jpg

spyderco002.jpg

I like my S30V blades very much. Don't have any experience w/ the 8Cr13MoV steel, though. With the Sage, your paying for the CF and the USA made S30V. Plus, Sage is made in Taiwan, and the other two are Chinese (I don't know if that makes much of a difference to most folks, but I do everything reasonably within my power to not buy anything made in China - but that's just my little quirk).

Last edited:
Its not just the s30v and carbon fiber (those two things alone should make the sage 1 much more expensive then it is.), but it's the fit and finish. There's a much higher level of polish overall, more even grinds, more highly finished edge. You really are getting more than what you pay for which is something spyderco has accomplished many times.

You get what you pay for. I've handled the Tenacious, great knife but I'll never pay to support a Communist country that conducts itself as China does if I can avoid it.

IMO the Sage1 is worth 4 times the Tenacious due to the way better steel, better pocket clip, better scales, and choil. Plus you support better countries. American blade steel, Taiwan for the rest.

Great pictures though!

The Sage 1 is actually a very high value knife for what you get versus what you pay while the Ten/Per are too but with a different goal and target demographic. IMHO of course.

The Tenacious is a great knife. At twice the price I would still consider it good value.

More expensive knives fight back with sophisticated designs, better fit & finish and better steel.

At the end of the day we don’t need expensive knives, we buy them because we want them.

I don't own a Sage 1, but I want one!

Rafael

I have all three. I enjoy them all but feel the Sage is miles ahead of the other two. Fit, finish, and steel.

I have a Tenacious and a Sage - never handled a Persistence.

For what it's worth I don't think any of these knives are overpriced - they've all stellar values. The Sage is just aimed at a different price point. I have many knives but on balance I think the Sage might be the most compelling overall package - great steel, very light weight, nice grippy, elegant CF scales, and silky action and lockup. I love this thing! I can't think of another knife available for less than $100 that can compete.

Back