My Son Was Born Yesterday!

Congradulations! I'm sure you'll hear the flip-clicking of little tiny blades in no time. They they grow up so fast.

Congratulations!

My daughter was born in 2011, and I wished someone would've advised me to pick up some 2011 knives at the time to pass on to her later - particularly knives with year stamps - Case, Buck, CRK, etc. I did eventually find a handful on the secondary market, but it would've been much easier (and likely cheaper) to have bought them in 2011.

Congratulations!

My daughter was born in 2011, and I wished someone would've advised me to pick up some 2011 knives at the time to pass on to her later - particularly knives with year stamps - Case, Buck, CRK, etc. I did eventually find a handful on the secondary market, but it would've been much easier (and likely cheaper) to have bought them in 2011.

My daughter was born in 2014 (she's the Abby in my handle), but I haven't sought out knives with her born on date. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have thought about getting my kids a special 110 each, but beyond that I have mostly wanted to let them decide what kind of knives they want as they get older. Maybe they won't even like knives.

I know that for my daughter, she is already really into knives, so I doubt I will have any trouble on that end. But she is a lot like me, so she has already actually lost her first knife on a hike at age three! She has a couple of little knives that she is only allowed to hold or use under careful supervision, but she is already a tiny knife knut.

This is her reaction to getting a peanut gifted by a generous forumite:
View media item 270
But when she gets older, and no longer liable to lose knives, she will inherit this one:
View media item 276
It's my old K. Tragbar from Solingen. It was my Grandfather's, who gave it to me. I have lots of stories about this knife. I even lost it on the tundra when I was 14 or so. It was lost out there for more than two years before it found its way back to me through some pretty far-fetched happenstance. I have camped from the Arctic Circle to southern California and from the pacific to the Atlantic in the US and Canada with that knife. When Abby was born I set it aside for her. When she is old enough it will be her knife. Of all my knives it is the most important by far.

Great news and congratulations! Great taste was exercised in choosing his name too!

Here's my Sam:

20170324_230201_zpsil7dobis.jpg

He's 7 months old now and if he hadn't been 2 months premie he'd have been a biggun himself. Was the biggest baby in the NICU at 5.5lbs.

Glad to hear everyone's doing well. Enjoy the early months. They sure fly by.

Can you tell what knife this is?
20170422_190345_zpsrijo6rbl.jpg

I really like the looks of it. Hopefully it comes in a plain edge version.

Great news and congratulations! Great taste was exercised in choosing his name too!

Here's my Sam:

20170324_230201_zpsil7dobis.jpg

He's 7 months old now and if he hadn't been 2 months premie he'd have been a biggun himself. Was the biggest baby in the NICU at 5.5lbs.

Glad to hear everyone's doing well. Enjoy the early months. They sure fly by.

Can you tell what knife this is?
20170422_190345_zpsrijo6rbl.jpg

I really like the looks of it. Hopefully it comes in a plain edge version.

Wow he is a cutie! Congrats on your Sam. And I am glad he is doing well. :)

The one you picked out there is a Lone Wolf T1. Designed by Bill Harsey for Lone Wolf. The scales are G10, and the serration pattern was kind of a Lone Wolf specialty. Unfortunately they can be a bit of a challenge to come by at a reasonable price. The ones that come around these days all seem to be high priced safe queens.

That said, you can find them in a plain edge. For myself, I was glad to get this particular one since when I first started looking into higher quality folders, this is the exact one I wanted (at the time, I prefer plain edges myself these days). It ended up taking me three years to track down a T1 in my lowball price-range (I already had other knives that filled the niche, so I was willing to wait). But they come up for sale fairly often, and if you are willing to spend in the 200 range it shouldn't be too hard to track one down (though that is close to twice what they originally retailed for). Too bad Lone Wolf went out of business/was bought by Benchmade, because they made great knives that were at really good prices at the time. Now they are all at a premium, but still worth hunting down in my opinion.

Congratulations on the birth of Sam. Glad he and his mom are doing fine.

Congrats on the cool knife collection and of course the new bouncing baby boy. :)

..., I feel like I buy enough knives that I will have no trouble outfitting my kids.

Admirable indeed.

I know that one day my son will wind up stuck with all my knives, (poor kid), but I wanted to make sure I had at least the inexpensive basics covered for a young kid learning how to handle knives, (Opinel Jr., Mora Safety knife, Rough Rider slippie, a pair Kabar lock backs) but also wanted a couple nicer potential graduation gifts and hand me downs for different milestones up into his teenage years, provided he is into knives and responsible enough to trust?

If not, que sera, I like them all too, I carry 3 of them, and the 2 NiB, (the Blur and Trapper), are among two of my favorite designs to carry, so I have no problem keeping them either if I have to...

just think of all the amazing custom knives you would be able to buy with the amount of money a kid costs!!!
but all the same, congrats :)

I just thought of something else. You have to change your screen name now to samabbydaddy or abbysamdaddy. The more kids you have, the longer your screen name will become. Just keep that in mind. Ten years from now your screen name might be abbysamtomchristinamichaeldaddy or something. :eek::D:p

Congrats on your son!

One thing that I wish I had done when my daughter was born in 2015 is buy a Buck 110 that was made on her birthday. They put the date it was produced on the box. I think it would be cool for her to have when she gets older. I'm still looking for that golden egg on the bay....one day one day.

Don't make the same mistake I did!

Back