My third OKC knife

I have just put in an order for a black handled Rat 2, and I thought it would be my first Ontario knife, however it will actually be my third. When my wife and I got married in 1977, I bought two carbon steel kitchen knives that were on a store promotion (just like those store promotions where you could pick up a new volume of Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias every week). They lasted for quite a long time, were easy to sharpen and we used them for quite a few years until we replaced them with a different set. The wooden handles kind of disintegrated on the paring knife, but the butcher knife was lost in '96 when we moved to our current home.

Fast forward to now and while I was researching the Rat knives, I saw someone mention "Old Hickory" and a light went off in my head and through the fog of time I remembered that was the name on those old kitchen knives. I am glad that OKC still makes them and I found an online Canadian retailer that sells them. So I just may need to get another couple of Old Hickory knives (and they are still pretty cheaply priced).

Oh and I am eagerly awaiting my new Rat 2.

Very cool story. Enjoy the Rat 2. A great all around EDC knife. Size, blade shape, and ergonomics are great. My 14 yo daughter hijacked my black one so I just got an OD replacement.

Last edited:
Only 3? ;)

OKCs great prices, quality and warranty and CS will probably convince you to get more. :D

Ah, my brand spanking new Rat 11 just came in. I switched the clip to tip-up and am good to go. Sweet little knife and it fits my arthritic hands just fine. Oh boy, another toy to play with.

BTW, even though I really don't need it and will probably find it a little too large, I am now pining for a Rat 1.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back