1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Naked and Afraid on Discovery

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by RickJ, Jun 23, 2013.

1. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    Well I kinda liked it, what are your thoughts?

2. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    It was better than I expected, thought the guy was a little strange.

3. DocGP

DocGP

Feb 22, 2009
    Yup, he was a bit of a jerk, she seemed to me the more mature one. Though they both struggled a bit (as would anyone under those circumstances). Definitely would have scared the crap out of me to be that close to a Ferdilance!!! Those guys are masters of disguise.

Doc

4. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    you see the part when the chick walked right over one. I don't think I want to be naked in the jungle or in any survival situation.

5. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Apr 20, 2001
    Yeah, that gave me the heebie jeebies! I had seen the pictures of that producers foot shortly after it happened, and that is one nasty wound! And to think aroud here we get worked up over cottonmouths.

6. DocGP

DocGP

Feb 22, 2009
    Yes, they had to do a relief incision. If not the limb will loose blood flow due to swelling and quite possibly the whole foot would have become gangrenous. They have to leave it open for a period of time. Really ugly stuff. Have to do similar treatments to rattlesnake bites in the US.

Doc

7. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    Apparently when that chick caught the 'monella she did get medical treatment...

8. rkmoore

rkmoore Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Haven't seen it yet but guess I'll have to check it out. I just can't imagine any amount of money or anything else that would convince me to spend 30 days, butt naked, anywhere on earth.
    Well, I'd give serious consideration to spending to 30 naked days and nights with Alyssa Milano at her place. :D

9. tholiver

tholiver

Feb 22, 2003
    Do they ever think to maybe eat some of the greenery? I think if i went on one of these programs i'd at least google "wild edibles" of that area before i left home.

10. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Yeah, they didn't seem to have received much in the way of local foliage identification. I like the concept minus the naked part; sure it adds to the advertisement, but is pretty stupid in my opinion. I think it would have at least made more sense to grant them flip flops and a bathing suit. They each could choose one item. She chose a machete and he chose a Strike Force firesteel; pretty good pairing.

I was interested in the water purification (or lack there of), they didn't seem to do anything but drink directly from a moving water source. I've spent some time in the highland jungle of Ecuador and I can attest to the pretty cold temperature drops during the rainy season.

The guy was a work horse but was about as whiny as a 12 year old girl; the girl (other than the food poisoning) was quite mature and level headed. Looking forward to tonight's episode, but I'll DVR it and watch it tomorrow.

ROCK6

11. WJC01

WJC01

Mar 3, 2006
    I thought the show was decent and agree a bathing suit or pt shorts would be suitable. Being the tenderfoot I am I'd have to at least have my Tevas or I die in place.
    The guy was definitely a whiner. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

12. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    The one episode I saw they had a stream full of possible edibles and and didnt try to fish or build any kind of trap for fish, crawdads, freshwater shrimp, shell fish,etc. Also knew nothing about edible plants. The guy was whining about being hypothermic and starving while he was sitting in the middle of the creek!WTF!

13. 555

555 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2007
    After seeing just 3 minutes of the show, I was wondering if the show will last to see another season.

14. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    Yes, I liked the first show but last nights seem to left me cold, I think they should call it naked and starving and afraid. I also think the fish were planted there so they could eat some food.

15. Andster2

Andster2

Feb 18, 2007
    I like the show so far. I'm glad they are using different people every episode. They should at least put some clothes on the guys.

16. Orangeneck

Orangeneck

Oct 11, 2011
    The Alaskan woman in the second show concentrated on foraging for edible plants, much to the annoyance of the he-man solder. But it was she who carried all of the load when he was sidelined by an infected foot. She even caught a fish by spreading her legs-my kind of woman; too bad I'm already married.

17. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    Clearly the men they pic for the show are type A with the goal of getting to the finish line as if it proves something. Makes for good tv for sheeple that don't know any better. I have yet to see any of the teams flourish in any way. You would think that being out for 21 days someone would build some form of trap!

18. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    In the first episode they managed to build a fire and a shelter, and ate 2 times in 3 weeks, how are they survival experts?
    I mean aside from the accidental bumping into a snake and seeing a turtle they have not tried to actively get food in 3 weeks.

19. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm just glad Discovery Channel didn't come up with this idea with any of the cast of "Dual Survival"....................

20. Orangeneck

Orangeneck

Oct 11, 2011
    Times are changing: American public opinion and recent Supreme Court striking down DOMA. The show could happen-one of the guys is already bare foot....http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/images/smilies/barf.gif

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013