Need advice on a Camillus-like suvival knife

Well, I'm in the market for my first true survival knife. I have come across a lot of blades in my search, but I can't seem to get the Camillus USAF Survival Knife out of my mind. I love the look of the brown leather handle/sheath, the usefulness of the "hammer butt", and the entire history this knife has. The only thing it's missing for me is a serrated blade. I know it has the serrations on the back of the knife, but those are meant for metal more than natural fibers. The one part of my current knife that I use the most is the serrated blade for cutting rope (I'm suprised by how often I have the need for cordage :)). This is the only downfall for me for the Camillus knife. So I'm looking for suggestions. I would like to find something as close as possible to the Camillus (in appearance/history), but with a serrated blade. Did Camillus happen to make any 'rare' serrated blades on these knives at one point or another? Would it be possible/easy/inexpensive to take a Camillus to a knife shop, and have them make serrations in the blade?

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated :D

Woody

What's wrong with the Ka-Bars? Sure, no sawteeth, but you don't really need them anyway. Everything else is the same, and they make one with a partially-serrated blade too.

Thanks for the warm welcome Samael :)

I have considered the Ka-Bars before - and I really do like them - but there is one thing that bothered me about them. While I do enjoy a knife with a good history behind it, I don't really want the 'USMC' stamped on the blade, or the Marine logo embossed on the sheath.

However, if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for I think I may just pick up a Ka-Bar, thanks for the recommendation :)

The Chris Reeve Green Beret or Pacific fits the bill, but at close to ten times the cost of a Camillus/Ontario USAF knife.

Why not compliment your Camillus with a small folder that has serrations, like a Spyderco Endura? Or perhaps a multi-tool?

nice to meet a fellow camillus fan:D although mine are their slipjoints i dont have any of the sheath knives, but we have a camillus forum here and there are some very helpful people that stop by there that might be able to help:)
Unfortunately camillus closed for good in 2007:mad: so their stuff is getting harder to get and the prices are all over the place...
Try here (site created by a fellow BF member, thanks Irv!)
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/
I did a quick search didnt see anything on ebay?? Dunno what your asking for doesnt sound crazy, hopefully you'll have some luck
all the best
ivan

Check out the Gerber LMF2 it has all the same features plus serations and a better steel IMO as well as an amazing sheath

While I do enjoy a knife with a good history behind it, I don't really want the 'USMC' stamped on the blade, or the Marine logo embossed on the sheath.

There is a partially serrated, short version of the Kabar with blade and sheath marked "USA", if that size suits your needs. I've used one (non-serrated) for quite a while and it's a decent knife, though the handle is a bit undersized.

I would like to find something as close as possible to the Camillus (in appearance/history), but with a serrated blade.
Ka-Bar makes a smaller verion of their USMC combat knife, with serrations, that is about the same size as the old Pilot Survival knife:

1252_large.jpg

Ontario Knife Co. is also making an updated version of the old Pilots Survival knife called the Aircrew Survival Egress Knife (ASEK) which I think is the current AF issue survival knife. It looks a lot like the old PS knive, only with a partially serrated blade and modern plastic handle.

ASEK-w-NSN-a.jpg

Ya know what, guys?? For a bunch of knife-wielding folks, you're a friendly bunch of people :D

The Chris Reeve Green Beret or Pacific fits the bill, but at close to ten times the cost of a Camillus/Ontario USAF knife.

Why not compliment your Camillus with a small folder that has serrations, like a Spyderco Endura? Or perhaps a multi-tool?
I like those Chris Reeve knives, but it's a bit outside of my price range ;) I'm looking for something around the $30-$50 (new or used) price-tag for a Camillus or Ka-Bar.

Also, I do have a folding Gerber Gator that has a serrated blade, as well as a Gerber multi-tool (which are my current EDC's) but I'd like to be able to have one knife I can use for everything, and then only pull out my muti-tool when I need it for something odd. So I'd like my fixed blade to have serrations on it.

nice to meet a fellow camillus fan:D although mine are their slipjoints i dont have any of the sheath knives, but we have a camillus forum here and there are some very helpful people that stop by there that might be able to help...
Thanks for the tips! I'll defianltely be checking out that site :D

Check out the Gerber LMF2 it has all the same features plus serations and a better steel IMO as well as an amazing sheath
I have a Gerber fetish, and love the LFM2, but again, I'm looking for something with the similar looks/history as the Camillus USAF Survival Knife :)

There is a partially serrated, short version of the Kabar with blade and sheath marked "USA", if that size suits your needs. I've used one (non-serrated) for quite a while and it's a decent knife, though the handle is a bit undersized.
Beautiful knives! Are the ones in the pic, yours?? Where did you find one that doesn't have the USMC markings? I've seen it on just about every one I've looked at. I guess I have to look around a bit more ;) That sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well :D

Ka-Bar makes a smaller verion of their USMC combat knife, with serrations, that is about the same size as the old Pilot Survival knife...
Ontario Knife Co. is also making an updated version...
Yeah, I really like the shorter Ka-Bar. I really don't want/like/need a 7" blade, but the shorter version looks really nice. I do like that new version from Ontario, but again, I'm looking for something with the older leather/leather look :)

To heck with the knives, we're all pretty much armed to the teeth, too. Hmm, maybe that's why we're all so polite and friendly.

on a side note ive seen some new camillus products on knifecenter. super cheap. anybody ahve info on them?

Hi swoody,have a look at www.888knivesrus.com they do a custom serrated edge option on the spec plus line. There isn't any mention on the leather handled USAF knife but you could contact them and see if they are able/willing for an extra charge.This way you get exactly what your looking for.

There are a few places that will add serrations to a knife for a fee(someone help me out with the links). Perhaps you couls have a Camillus serrated?

Thanks for the warm welcome Samael :)

I have considered the Ka-Bars before - and I really do like them - but there is one thing that bothered me about them. While I do enjoy a knife with a good history behind it, I don't really want the 'USMC' stamped on the blade, or the Marine logo embossed on the sheath.

However, if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for I think I may just pick up a Ka-Bar, thanks for the recommendation :)

I'm with you here. I don't want USMC stamped on my knife either, so I bought one stamped U.S. Army! It's KaBar's product number KA1220. Now, if that bothers you, I can't help you!

Ka-Bar makes a smaller verion of their USMC combat knife, with serrations, that is about the same size as the old Pilot Survival knife:

1252_large.jpg

Ontario Knife Co. is also making an updated version of the old Pilots Survival knife called the Aircrew Survival Egress Knife (ASEK) which I think is the current AF issue survival knife. It looks a lot like the old PS knive, only with a partially serrated blade and modern plastic handle.

ASEK-w-NSN-a.jpg

I think this Ontario is your closest option outside of paying someone to put serrations on a Camillus. Ontario took over the production of the USAF survival knife and they are made to the same specs.

Where did you find one that doesn't have the USMC markings? I've seen it on just about every one I've looked at. I guess I have to look around a bit more ;) That sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well :D

Those are mine. Dressed a couple deer with the Kabar. Worked fine, though you have to keep track of the sharpened swedge when inside the body cavity. Search for a model 1261. Here's one place, there are lots more:

Back