Nevada knife laws??

SkinnyJoe

BANNED
Interested in knowing in what's ok and what's not, in Washoe County and Reno and Sparks specifically, with respect to:

open carry vs. concealed carry
folders vs fixed blades
blade length
neck knives

Thanks. :)

I'll try to keep this concise and too the point.

It is illegal to possess (even in the home) switchblades or belt-buckle knives.
It is illegal to carry concealed any "Dirk, dagger or machete."

Seriously, that's it for state law. By implication, that basically means you can open carry anything ya darn please so long as it's not a switchblade or belt-buckle knife (which are pretty rare). As for "Dirk, dagger or machete" that almost always means fixed blade knives, making folders legal to carry concealed. There are no length provisions; a knife is legal based on it's style and type, not it's size. A 1" dagger blade neck knife is illegal if concealed, legal if open carried. Intent also plays a part. In Knight v. State 2000, the defendant was convicted of a concealed weapon for carrying a 4" steak knife, because it was clear by his kicking down someone's door and cutting them with it that he had intent to use it as a weapon.

Source: http://leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec350

Washoe County basically just echos state law, adding nothing of notable difference except for it is illegal to conceal a "dangerous knife." However, that term was ruled as unconstitutionally vague in Bradvica v. State 1988, and while the state law above removed it long ago, Washoe never updated it's statutory language. Basically, that means that while the law still says "dangerous knife," it would not hold weight in court.

http://www.washoecounty.us/clerks/files/pdfs/county_code/Chapter050.pdf (see 50.075)

Reno, I don't see anything about knife carry, though the potentially relevant statutes are "reserved."
http://library.municode.com/HTML/14160/level3/P2_T8_C8.18.html

Sparks only seems to have laws on brandishing weapons "in a rude, angry or threatening manner" "except in self defense."
http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/governing/muni_code/Title_9/63/020.php

So, I am guessing a fixed blade single edge neck knife is not a dirk, dagger or machete, and can thus be carried concealed legally?

Thanks. :thumbup:

As far as I know. Any throwing knives, kungfu stars and switchblades are the only knifes not allowed. I do not think there are any regulations concerning blade legnth and or concealed carry. This is based on my memory of a past search I did. People in northern Nevada don't look twice if they notice you have a knife and a concealed gun that prints(or momentarily exposes itself) really don't bother many either.

So the Auto that I have from the Press Button Knife Co. that used to be my grandfathers I cannot have in my home? Even if it is part of my collection?

Snappy

So the Auto that I have from the Press Button Knife Co. that used to be my grandfathers I cannot have in my home? Even if it is part of my collection?

Snappy

By the letter of the law, yes, you're a criminal. Stupid isn't it?

To emphasized that point, look at NRS 202.355. A business is required to get a special permit just to be able to sell switchblades, and that permit restricts sale to people outside the state (which is moot because it illegal under federal law to do so unless it's to the military or police), and "A person who is authorized by law to possess a switchblade knife in this state, including, without limitation, any sheriff, constable, marshal, peace officer and member of the Armed Forces of the United States when on duty"

Though based on mitigating factors, I have my doubts any officer or prosecutor would bother in your case, unless you give them any particular reason to look for an excuse to charge with something.

We have it easy here in Nevada, especially us in the northern part of the state.
I've yet to have any issues and have even carried an auto at times. Don't flaunt it and you're good. (I'm not recommending it, you should always follow the laws... ;))

Yeah I have to second all what was said, that is from my own understanding of the law. I've carried knives on both university campuses and have not been hastened but from my understanding if I were to get caught by police in Vegas I would be in a serious situation.

Back