"New" classic large Seb.

Ok, so I've been crushed by the awesome weight of amazing that is the CR Sebenza. After a year or so of trying nicer production, and then higher-end custom folders, I've not been satisfied..... until now. I'd always heard/read about CR knives and for some reason....never felt like pulling the trigger..until now....

5547106689_032dd1fe37_b.jpg

5547694938_606720c7ed_b.jpg

I ordered a large classic seb. w/ micarta and after some fairly easy mods, it's exactly what I think a perfect EDC knife should be. I realize I'm preachin' to the choir, but I thought I'd share a few pics of the mods in case others care to follow suite. Most, if not all came from other forum members, so I can not take credit. This forum has been the real inspiration behind my purchase.

5547695216_73ac26a062_b.jpg

First was the sanding (800 and + grit) of the scales to produce a smoother and lighter-colored effect. This to me is both the easiest and most note-worthy visua/textural effect of the mods. It turns a dark grey and super-grippy scale into a very light grey and silky smooooth scale (the micarta adds enough grip to make this workable).

Second was the thumb-stud mod. This was a biggie...I just wasn't a fan of the pyramid thumb-stud. After dremeling the top layer off and sanding the stud, it became a real pleasure to use. I do recommend following another forum member's advice and using a hard horizontal surface to use as a sanding tool to finish the studs. This will ensure a flat surface on top of the stud, and stop the natural tendency to "dome" the top of the stud (with only the fine sandpaper under the thumb).

5547698782_727c161638_b.jpg

And, I also added the CRK lube. This took a smooth opening/closing to a silky smooth operation in toots sweet fashion. I can't say enough good things about the lube.......it's just that good!

5547114831_9d48b2ea76_z.jpg

5547116259_6b0478fafa_z.jpg

Also incremental in the knife's look/feel was the application of Sno-seal to first, the house-made lanyard and then, accidentally, the micarta scales. It waterproofed the lanyard, bur also lent the micarta a "finer" textured finish akin to black leather. It is both grippy and super smooth ala a finely finished leather.

5547700694_daf36371c0_z.jpg

I also reversed the screws as has been mentioned before for a polished look.
I'm really glad you guys turned me on this search-ending folder.......you've saved me many an hour of hunting and many a dollar of spending!:thumbup:

5547695518_e7ae24ceb5_b.jpg

Here is my hiking set-up with the large Sebenza:

5547687068_98474e2513_b.jpg

5547106407_4e4c977320_b.jpg

Excellent pics!!!! and nice work on the mods. I to share in your excitement about CRK knives.

Nice photos and mods! I too recently acquired a Large Classic Sebenza from a fellow forum member and I've been carrying it non-stop. The thumb stud was already crowned and the scales polished to a high shine by the previous owner. :D

Did you dye the micarta a darker black? I have the same classic but my
micarta has alot more grey in it. And awesome mods by the way. Its always
good to know you made the knife yours. Thats why I love buying my knives
brand new. I like to be the one to break them in and "raise" them into
adulthood...:)

Did you dye the micarta a darker black? I have the same classic but my
micarta has alot more grey in it. And awesome mods by the way. Its always
good to know you made the knife yours. Thats why I love buying my knives
brand new. I like to be the one to break them in and "raise" them into
adulthood...:)

Mmm...when I applied the Snow-seal to the lanyard, I also rubbed a bit into the micarta. It filled in those tiny holes and it now feels kinda like leather.

Back