1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

New design all for me! Its done!

Discussion in 'Backwoods & KFU Custom Handmade Knives' started by KFU, Mar 13, 2012.

1. KFU

KFU Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator

Sep 10, 2007
    So I decided late last night that I wanted to make myself a knife while I wait for the sanding sleeves to finish up the tin knives. I actually ground one out late but ended up not liking it so its going to the wife. I thought about it all night and woke up this morning with an idea of what I wanted. Its going to be an all around woods knife but also one I can sit on the front porch and whittle with. My main goal was to make the most comfortable handle in all the positions that I use most. This one fits my hands perfectly but probably wouldn't feel right to everyone and it looks sorta weird. I just grabbed some steel, marked the handle and blade lengths and started grinding and feeling. I am glueing the handles up now and am stoked about how they will look. Hopefully I will have it done before it gets dark and I can take some pics.
    4" blade thats about 1 1/8" at the plunge
    4 3/4" handle
    Convex Saber Grind
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is finished up
    I used Stabilized Spalted Elm, orange pinstripes, and jade liners. The liners look red but when its sunny out they look clear. I tried showing in the last pick if you look at the corner of the liners. Its getting dark here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    This is gonna be cool. Love the sabre grind, by the way.

3. ac700wildcat

ac700wildcat

May 24, 2011
    Holy, you knocked that one out quick. Did ya even go to bed last night? The handle looks super comfy...how does it feel?

4. KFU

KFU Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator

Sep 10, 2007
    I went to sleep about 3am and was back at it at 7:30! Its crazy comfortable in my hands. I made the handle thick but put a nice curve in it.

5. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Damn, that was fast. That turned out awesome!

6. Northridge88

Northridge88 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Looks great! Really like the scales and liners

7. ol_sc

ol_sc

Sep 12, 2011
    That looks nice! Kind of a funky EDC/bushcrafter.

8. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    that handle shape looks comfy as hell

9. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    looks good!

10. JUST1MOR

JUST1MOR

Oct 19, 2010
    Chris, that handle reminds me of the first time I got to wrap my hands around a Beretta 92 w/ their double stacked magazine. I thought I had died and found handgun heaven . . . . . ;)
    My hands are between XL & 2XL, & things have a tendency to "twist" on me when I am trying to hold onto them. That palm swell looks like it would help a great deal to keep the blade centered in your hand no matter what you were trying to cut. And I swear from the pictures the orange liners look orange w/ red pin stripping on the outsides edges . . . . must be that darn orange color everyone is so enamored with "down there" . . . . :D
    Great design on the handle . . . . . now if the blade was about 5" long, about an 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide with a spear point . . . . . . ahhhhhhh. .
    Be safe.

11. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    love the handle... this just added another one to my list

12. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike

Mar 21, 2006
    wow Chris.. that a winner there bro.. i like it..:thumbup:

13. discdoggin

discdoggin

Jun 6, 2010
    DITTO!! Put me down for the 5+ inch version with G-10 or micarta and I will head over to paypal... :cool:

14. essublime

essublime

Aug 7, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Love the spalted elm and the 3 liners. Convex saber is killer as well. Nice job Chris!

15. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    FattyCrafter sounds about right.
    To the top with an awesome knife and thanks for makin' knifes with decent handles on them, which doesn't has to be a "special order" :thumbup::thumbup:

16. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006
    I like it a lot. That handle looks like a real fatty.