"New" heat treatment?

BBW

I noticed that from what I recall the heat treatment went up in the Rockwell scale from previous generations?
Have you seen an improvement in edge deformation?
(if you haven't had any edge deformation in the past that is fine, I have and there are videos out there showing it)

I'm looking to buy an inkosi and that is the only thing holding me back.

I was able to deform the edge by whittling wood for my camping and other mundane chores with my 21 and the 25 so I'm curious.

Thanks guys

Both my new Inkosi and Ti-Lock "blue steam" are doing just fine.

My 2012 (21) was another story regarding hard woods. I'd say go for it. I have noticed the change. I go with a 19dps with micro and have no issues.

Reactions: BBW
well I ordered the carbon fiber inkosi with insingo blade from KA ;-)
Now the wait begins!!!!
Thanks BB

well I ordered the carbon fiber inkosi with insingo blade from KA ;-)
Now the wait begins!!!!
Thanks BB

That's great. I alsmost pre ordered the same one. That is a great choice. I think you will be happy.

Tonight I will removed the factory edge and set a 19 DPS on my Starkosi. With a 21 degree micro bevel. Then the steel with show its true colors.

The factory edge is about 21dps and 23 at the tip so I can easily put my edge on it without removing any actual material. It's mostly just bringing the shoulders into the apex.

I will compare it to my AFO 2 with the same sharpening job but in 154CM at 58-60. Not scientific but it will still be interesting to watch over the period of a few weeks of use.

About the same size.

IMG_20180406_112643_2~2.jpg

Last edited:
sweet!!!! I'll play a little bit with it and then I'll throw it on the WE as well ;-)
Cheers!

sweet!!!! I'll play a little bit with it and then I'll throw it on the WE as well ;-)
Cheers!

So earlier I went with 17dps with no micro bevel for now. Went up to 1200 Ceramic finishing hone on the Gatco.

Knocked the burr off on a piece of wood. Finished with 1micron paste on my leather strop. This is the first time I have ever put this much finish work into a blade. It was a bit of work but so rewarding.

Slices like a demon and splits hairs. I am super pleased with how this steel takes an edge.

Although it will not hold this Edge forever. Touch-ups will be a piece of cake for the next 6 months or so.

IMG_20180406_224159~2.jpg IMG_20180406_224308~2.jpg IMG_20180406_224218~2.jpg IMG_20180406_224343~3.jpg

Last edited:
Based on feedback from CRK owners i would definitely say that the new heat treatment protocol is a noticeable improvement.

This Rockwell C Differential Comparitor shows the hardness change in percentages:

http://bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=287&highlight=Rockwell

According to this the difference between a "pre-mid-2013" Sebenza with a 59 HRC blade and a "post-mid-2013" Sebenza with a 60 HRC blade is a 4.9 percent increase in hardness.

And if you compare a "pre-mid-2013" Sebenza with a 58 HRC blade with a "post-mid-2013" Sebenza with a 60 HRC blade then the difference would be a 9.8 percent increase in hardness.

Last edited:
I honestly haven’t noticed any difference. I routinely carry two lately to compare from both “HT” and just cant tell any difference. Both are sharpened at the same time and EDC’ed and used equally. I just don’t see any difference. I maintain the factory edge on the Sharpmaker. Sharpen both to hair shaving sharp. Both perform equally well in all tasks.

Got it!!! Initial impressions are really promising!! I really like the weight with carbon fiber and that insingo blade looks very very nice!
It disappears in the pocket.
I’ll use it and see how it holds up.
Will post pics soon.
Thanks guys!

Got it!!! Initial impressions are really promising!! I really like the weight with carbon fiber and that insingo blade looks very very nice!
It disappears in the pocket.
I’ll use it and see how it holds up.
Will post pics soon.
Thanks guys!

Sweet! Enjoy. I used mine hard today with the 17DPS . Still push-cut news print sharp. There is a difference . Some just are not that RH sensitive to notice it.

23hdFiu

She sure is pretty. That was on my top three list.

If it cuts well now ,wait until you put an even better edge on it.

I honestly haven’t noticed any difference. I routinely carry two lately to compare from both “HT” and just cant tell any difference. Both are sharpened at the same time and EDC’ed and used equally. I just don’t see any difference. I maintain the factory edge on the Sharpmaker. Sharpen both to hair shaving sharp. Both perform equally well in all tasks.

This is what I was hoping to hear. While a 5-10% increase in hardness sounds like a decent jump, I'm wondering if it really only applies to the more acute edges. I sharpen my CRK's to 20dps, so there is still plenty of strength there. I think the 10% jump might make the 15-16 dps edges hold better, but for something in the 18-21 dps range, I think it would have more to do with the finish (ie: toothy or refined) than a few points of hardness.

Back