New Jersey: Switchblades vs OTFs

Hey all,

I own a Smallfly 2 I never carry because my state's laws (NJ) are thoroughly descriptive in banning gravity knives which deters me from even the occasional carry as I love the piece and cannot lose it. On the flip side, I have never owned but absolutely adore OTFs. A private seller let me check out a very rare and old Jeff Harkins Triton and let me deploy it a few times at NYC Knife Show pre-COVID and I cannot shake the desire to acquire my own DA OTF even after years of trying to swallow that they're 'very likely' considered autos which are illegal in NJ.

Matter at hand: I'm trying to convince myself that, perhaps, an OTF (Ultratech is on my mind) isn't actually a switchblade but rather an assisted opener and I would like others' opinions on my line of thinking šŸ˜…

I know, I know but hear me out!

I'm trying to make the argument that the slider on the handle for opening isn't actually a button for deployment, like an auto stiletto's, but rather an 'assist' promoting the upwards activation that I'm already getting started with the slide... just like a flipper assisted knife!

Think about it, the slider doesn't actually release the blade immediately upon moving it upwards (obviously a guard against accidental deployment but maybe not only that!), it pushes the blade up until sufficient movement by the user is achieved in order to activate the assist and complete opening. How can I be wrong?! lol

So for the actual question: Are single or double OTF knives considered autos in NJ and thus illegal, full stop?

I'm sure the answer is yes but gosh, I wish we could remove silly restrictions on how knives' blades open from our laws. It's insane to me, we all can deploy PM2s faster than most button-activated autos!

Thanks for hearing me out

Actually, unless the laws changed 5 minutes ago you can own any knife in your house as long it was made in NJ, with several exceptions. Some knives, like the common folders, fixed blades, and swiss army knives can come from basically anywhere. But for autos either need to be made in NJ or sent by specific shipping companies that are deemed "unmanageable by law". Once you get the knife you can either keep it in your house or you can carry it. It seems illegal but if you have an explainable lawful purpose(witch self defense is not included) you can legally carry. If you want to read more I suggest reading AKTI state laws.

New Jersey's definition of Switchblade definitely includes OTF's:

ā€œSwitchblade knifeā€ means any knife or similar device which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.

Back