1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

New LMF firesteel

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by tknife, Oct 13, 2010.

1. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    I was perusing REI the other day when I noticed a new LMF Scout 2.0 firesteel. I don't need any more firesteels, but it looked pretty neat so I made an impulse buy :cool: I also checked their website, and the large army model has a 2.0 version as well.
    [​IMG]

The steel and striker both have a very comfy thumb divot that makes using it feel secure in hand. This striker is a huge improvement over the old style one.
    [​IMG]

I usually don't use the striker anyway and just use the back of my knife, but this one has a small emergency whistle built in that is actually very shrill and loud.
    [​IMG]

In testing it out, I was using common things that I keep in my first aid kit that's always in my pack. The Purell is just like alcohol and will easily catch a spark but it evaporates very quickly.
    [​IMG]

For instance a little Neosporin helped this small piece of cotton burn for about a minute. It works exactly like vaseline on a cotton ball
    [​IMG]

I found these cotton squares work better than plain cotton balls though. So I snagged a bunch from my wife's makeup kit :D
    [​IMG]

So nothing too exciting, but a new firesteel is always neat and playing with a little fire is fun. And I always like things that I carry to be multipurpose too.

2. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Thanks tknife, I saw these a few days ago, I thought about getting some more. Thanks again. Moose

3. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    I like the whistle addition. If it works good as you say, I am definitely going to pick up a few for my own stocking ;)

4. VictGerbSogCamill

VictGerbSogCamill

Feb 19, 2010
    I just got one a few weeks ago, but I do like the styling of that new one. The whistles handy too. I guess I can keep one in the truck. Thanks for the info.

5. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    Any difference in the firesteel itself, or just in the addition of the whistle?
    Polysporin is a good idea for multi use items, going to try that one. :)

6. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD

Aug 5, 2008
    Definitely cool lookin' ... I like the new design.

7. tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    The steel itself is identical to the regular Scout models that I have. The handle shape, striker and whistle are what's different. The 2.0 was also a couple dollars more than the standard. Don't know if it can be had for cheaper online, you kind of pay a premium at REI anyway.

8. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    thanks for the review- that striker (san whistle) looks a lot like the firesteel super scraper- it does work very well

I didn't know neosporin would make a decent substitute for vaseline- I keep a couple of small packets in FAK- good to know they could work for fire starting :)

9. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    tknife great tip on the neosporin. one never knows what our members are going to come up with. thanks a ton.
    dennis

10. tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    Thanks guys, I'm glad I was able to pass a new tip on.

11. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks Bro

Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    its about time, 7,320 posts later.....:D

seriously,Thanks!! since I don't have a steel at the moment I'll have to get this one.

13. tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    Haha, seriously about time huh!

14. ohski

ohski

Apr 24, 2009
    I have to swing by REI in the morning... I'll see if they have them out here in STL yet.

Thanks... Ski

15. Pritch

Pritch

May 3, 2006
    Neat new scraper for LMF.

Oh, and not exactly a new idea. ;) :D

16. Rprecision

Rprecision

Aug 17, 2008
    I have a few knifes that I keep firesteels on the sheath. The new style is not very condusive to that.

No a real fan of the change

17. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks for this, hadn't seen the new design. I was going to pick up a few more of these, now i think I'll wait and get the 2.0s when they come in or order them off line.

18. tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    No way I thought of it first! :D Nah, I don't remember where I saw that done actually, it might have been on one of Ron Hood's videos.

19. Chinpo

Chinpo

Aug 25, 2007
    Nice review and tips!
    I like the new design on those. I'll have to pick up one of each size, next time I make an order at REI.com.

20. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Is the actual metal match material any different from the original design?

TF