1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Newbie BK7 Question

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by stalbot, Oct 1, 2012.

1. stalbot

stalbot

Sep 7, 2012
    New to the forum and new to Beckers. Just ordered a BK7 that shipped today. I ordered it because I liked the clip point. I'd like to sharpen the top of the swedge. Is this best done with a file, or wheel? In the past I've heard that a grinder can ruin the temper of a blade. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Stuart

2. never too sharp

never too sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Welcome to the forums.

Any time you use a power grinder on hardened and tempered steel, you run the risk of heating it too much and ruining the temper. That's not to say it cant be done. If you are not versed with grinders, a file would probably be your best bet, but progress would be s l o w. My suggestion would be to just use the knife and not worry about sharpening the clip. It's a great knife, and maybe my favorite Becker.

3. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Wheel on a variable speed belt grinder on slow would be your best bet. And you'll probably end up ruining it unless you're experienced with grinding in swedges. They're surprisingly hard to do. Also, illegal many places. Make sure you check your local laws before you attempt it.

4. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah, check your laws. Hate to "donate it" to a LEO.

5. bigghoss

bigghoss

Jul 27, 2011
    Assuming it's legal, it might be worth it to have a professional do it. I doubt it would be very expensive.

6. Uncle Malice

Uncle Malice

May 13, 2012
    Get yourself a Work Sharp sharpener. It's basically just a small handheld belt sander with guides to put a beautiful and super sharp convex edge on blades. I imagine it would make short work of sharpening that swedge, just take your time as to not overheat it.

You'll get a great sharpening system for future use, and have a great convex edge.

7. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Unless you hold there blade there for like 10 mins on the grinder you wont ruin the HT...One quick pass then dip in water. As people said, check that its legal. Didnt know sharpened swedges were illegal

8. K9-Handler

K9-Handler

Jan 27, 2012
    It's a regional thing. Some States (and cities) it is, some don't care.

9. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    I've heard of these before. Not looked into them though. I've been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker for a good while. It works okay, but I'm looking for something better.

10. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Paper wheels. Pretty cheap, and fairly easy to put an excellent edge on, especially if you have a steady hand.

11. dramos1

dramos1

May 4, 2012
    I been wanting to get myself a bk7 for a bit, it looks like an awesome knife and I thought I'd sharpen the swedge to, if you make it work lets us know how it comes out, I may sharpen the swedge on my 9 soon