Noob question.

Sufler

Gold Member
Never really looked at Hinderers even though I shook the man's hand and saw his table at a show on the East Coast.

Question is, just so that I get some idea of what this is all about... what's the one Hinderer to have? Is it still the Xm-18? 3.5"? Flipper or no-flipper?

Thanks all!

:thumbup:

Depends on how you use a knife. For me it's the 3" slicer because I just want a smallish knife to be in my pocket all the time. Small enough that I don't notice it but large enough to be versatile and legal pretty much anywhere. So for me the 3" is the ultimate. I have a slicer blade and want to find a Spanto.

Knowing what you like in an EDC or however you plan to use the Hinderer would help us direct you.

But, if I may be so bold, a suggestion...

Get the 3.5 first. Why? Once you have it, you will know if it's perfect or you need to go up or down in size.

Also great thing about the 3.5 is that either production grind is very useful and robust. Spanto or Slicer, cannot go wrong.

Now, the flipper....I'm pro flipper! But to justify it, I'll say that once you go flipper, it's difficult to go back. I developed blade deployment methods with a flipper that I cannot duplicate with a thumb stud.

I know some will ask what deployment methods I'm referring to, all I'll say is I'm not putting it out there in the world.

N2K summed it up very well. If I were to direct somone to their first Hinderer it would be (without reservation) XM18 3.5" Spanto Flipper tumbled finish (stonewash).
From there the "Hobby" is born :)

I'm on board with the 2 posts above. Start with a 3.5" spanto grind flipper, that's a just-right all around use size. After that, you might want to add a larger or smaller, or both. I have all 3 sizes, but if I had to go back to just one it would be my first one. It's a 3.5" with s scratched and beat up red scale.

I have a 3 "and 3.5", I really like 3 inch the best, if you can't decide just get both. That's what I did

I pointed to the 3.5 for another reason. It gets a lot of love. By that I mean...

Some find the 3" a bit small

Others find the 24 a bit large.

Take that into account and the best place to "start" seems to be 3.5. That is unless you already know how you like to carry and use a knife. It's real world activity is a great way to help decide which is the right tool.

I wanted a 3.5 first, but 3" were the availables ones. I hesitated on a 3.5 i really wanted, and now i get to live in regret.

3.5 first

Depends on how you use a knife. For me it's the 3" slicer because I just want a smallish knife to be in my pocket all the time. Small enough that I don't notice it but large enough to be versatile and legal pretty much anywhere. So for me the 3" is the ultimate.

Same as this. This board seems to favor the 3.5 the most however from what I've seen.

Same as this. This board seems to favor the 3.5 the most however from what I've seen.

Actually, a production 24 Spanto Flipper is my favorite folding knife I currently own. The 3.5 is my primary EDC and the 24 rides along for if and when I need it.

3SizesScaleOpen_zps70516a3f.jpg

I pondered the same question after deciding on an XM.

I figured I would only own one so it had to have the classic features of the XM -

Spanto blade.
Flipper.
Stonewashed blade / frame.

After browsing XM size comparison photos sent by some very helpful forum members I lined up my sights on the 3.5" XM.

No regrets, it is simply perfect IMO.

I did also pick up the 3" later down the line and I love it, no regrets at all.
The 3" simply fits in better with more EDC roles due to the smaller profile.

Wearing shorts or formal wear for instance.

Whichever way you go, selling a Hinderer is not going to be a problem if the size does not work out.

Good luck

3.5" is the most popular size and tackles every job thrown at it, however some people like the 3", because its a lot smaller and lightweight. The XM-24 was my first and its really awesome, but my favourite for EDC is a 3.5" that being said I carry a 3" today :) Very hard to make a choice they all have its qualities.

I greatly appreciate all the replies so far and input from actual owners. I've reviewed his site and man... those are some fine looking pieces.

How does one go about getting one? Place an order with a dealer? I'm willing to wait and only willing to pay base price (not inflated grey market prices). By the way, is there a price list for his knives?

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited:
You might be waiting a while then. For prices check the sticky threads on this board.

Ok, I'm convinced too. I am on the hunt for a 3.5 Spanto flipper. Sufler, you and I won't be the only ones hunting for a 3.5" on the exchange. Check frequently, move fast, and good luck to you!!!

Ok, I'm convinced too. I am on the hunt for a 3.5 Spanto flipper. Sufler, you and I won't be the only ones hunting for a 3.5" on the exchange. Check frequently, move fast, and good luck to you!!!

She's all yours.

I'll contact a dealer and get some info on ordering directly.

I don't mean to insult anybody when I ask about the Zero Tolerance collaboration knives. How are the 05XX series knives? Very curious.

Thanks!

Back