North Face vs EMS Backpacks

Hey guys. What are your opinions on EMS vs North Face backpacks in terms of quality. I have a bunch of EMS's and really like them, will I be as impressed with a North Face? thanks.

-kng

Regardless of brand, I'd want to handle them in person, or at least be mentally prepared to send them back if they aren't up to snuff. Brand names don't mean that much any more, especially with many companies having multiple overseas contractors making their stuff. I have TNF gear that is over a decade old, and some clothing from as recent as last year, that is of excellent quality. On the other hand, I see positive comments about models I've handled in the store, like a backpacking pack(Terra?) that I ripped a strap out of when pulling it tight to look at the stitching. My personal experience with owning TNF products has been very good, but it only takes one instance like that to make me very wary.
Some of this crap blows my mind. When I actually tear up gear(happened a couple of times with "Outdoor Products" brand stuff in Wal-Mart, too) just looking at it in the store, something is very wrong.

I had an EMS back pack for years..it is still going, I sold it to a buddy. Great gear IMO.

north face is just a name the quality isn't worth a s###t since nike bought them. try ospray or arc terex if looking for high quality

I personally have only had great experiences with The North Face (especially their outerwear) and like i said in your previous thread; I recommend their products.

I don't own any gear from EMS, but Ive handled a few backpacks through friends. As with The North Face, EMS seems to also make excellent gear and i don't think you could really go wrong with either. That goes ditto for Osprey, Kelty, Gregory etc...

And like others have said, try to make sure you can handle your pack in person before you buy it. :thumbup:

I've had good experiences with EMS and REI brand items. They are just as good as the big name brands in most cases. TNF quality is still pretty good, but I do notice a difference in quality from some of their products made 10+ years ago and today. Unfortunately I find myself saying that about more and more products each year.

I've got a North Face Primero 70 backpack that has served me very well. I think they may have discontinued it this year in favor of the Crestone.

I've also got the 15 year old TNF equivalent to the modern day Mountain Guide Shell. I bought that before you could buy TNF gear in shopping malls, and let me assure you, it is of highest quality and has been proven over and over again.

You have to watch TNF stuff though. It seems that they are looking more towards the brand conscious parakeet-males who bravely trek through the mall on the way to buy their lattes. Unfortunately, lattes are expensive so the parakeets can only afford items in the sub $100 range. But, alas, there are far more parakeets than there are eagles, so TNF sells WAY more cheap gear than it does real gear. That being said, the high-end TNF stuff still looks fairly well made but you pay a pretty penny for the quality.

I own a good deal of EMS gear, but not a backpack. Their quality has gone up in past years and their products are a very good value. They do sometimes have a bit of quality control issues with consistency from piece to piece (mainly in their clothes and sizing) but they are definitely a good choice if you check it out in person and are on a bit of a budget.

From what I've seen in the stores and handled in person, their packs are updated with the newest innovative features and the craftsmanship is good. Not quite as good as on my ArcTeryx pack, but good quality nonetheless. They also have a pretty decent return policy if something isn't working out like it should.

Back