Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by 1SKSNowhere did it say we could not discount their knives - thought I personally changed the pricing upon receipt of Mick's email.

Hmmmmm. I thought retail price maintenance was illegal too. Curioser and curioser. This is exactly why I no longer own Sebenzas. The pricing "issues" rubbed me the wrong way.

Y'all have me hooked. Do tell more. I'd like to hear all sides of this story. I'd also hope that whatever problem there is could be worked out. Seems like all of us here (in the BF community) have so many important things in common...just a shame when there's bad blood. (Regardless of fault...or perceived fault.)

Originally posted by spartan_ajax
Strider Knives has for a long time protected the company and the name.
I think Mick and Duane refuse to do business with people that would undercut the prices on Striders. Example 1SKS gets 10 Striders, another smaller dealer gets 10 Striders. 1SKS then starts to slowly undercut the smaller dealer until 1SKS is selling Striders for 30 bucks less then everyone else and now the litte dealer is SOL.
He can't compete. To PREVENT this Strider Knives has what I believe is the most fair policy in the knife business it is as follows...
Comply with the dealership agreement or you will be hunted down and killed.
What you are advocating is
1. Illegal under US law - re. price fixing and
2. Not in the dealer agreement I signed.

Furthermore, you apparently think it's ok to judge me on actions that I could possibly do, rather than ones I have done.
FACT: I lowered the prices on Strider Products by $5 because at the time there was no way for us to offer free shipping.
FACT: There was no place on the dealer agreement I signed that mentioned pricing policies, MAAP or price fixing.
FACT: Mick emailed me about the price lowering and we discussed Strider's "unofficial policy"
FACT: I changed the pricing back to full MSRP within minutes of his email.
FACT: Prices were not lowered since.

So, while you have a nice theory, it's just that. Let's deal with the <b>real world</b> instead. I did not get in any "undercutting" war with any other dealer. Furthermore, the reverse cannot be said about another Strider Knives Inc dealer who has, on multiple occasions, gotten into undercutting wars with us using their higher discounts to sell below our costs. If you truly feel that this is bad behavior, worthy of a dealership being revoked, they should have been gone a long time ago.

Anyway I know what prices are for dealers to get knives I know exactly what an Emerson Commander costs a dealer, how do I know this I did a little research. I know that 1SKS sells Emersons for alot less than I could if I was a small guy with a smaller clientel and no web-site.
You don't know what you are talking about then, because our price on an Emerson Commander is based upon wholesale cost. We're not a distributor of Emerson products - we don't get any price breaks beyond typical wholesale. Furthermore, our prices on the Commander match other internet stores, and are higher than a few I could point to. Again, you have a nice theory, but it isn't reality.

The prices are set in stone with Strider Knives vary from them and you will be pulled as a dealer. Sell knock of POS knives and you will be pulled as a dealer.
Not true, again, and completely illegal. I suggest you check your sources if you think you know exactly how much the dealer discount is for Strider Knives.

Second, no manufacturer has the right to dictate what a dealer can and cannot carry in their store. Especially Strider.

Third, let's not even start into the Knock off area. I turned down the Linton Knife company cold when they asked us to pick up their line. Do you really want to start a discussion of the originality of a knife design?

Now many people are not accustomed to this method of business because it takes a man to do business this way do not forget we are dealing with a highly respected Ranger and a a highly respected Marine Scout Sniper. Its an in your face company and in your face with a 1/4" of flying war steel.

Complete garbage. Running a business is running a business - being a Ranger, Marine Scout Sniper, or Force Recon member does not grant you mystical business running skills or even the ability to run one in the first place.

If running a business to you means shaking a manufacturer's hand at Blade Show, setting up an account, signing dealer agreements, then having that manufacturer decide not to live up to their end, you are in the wrong business.

If running a business to you means that a manufacturer can dictate that you can carry their product line, but not sell it in your store, you are in the wrong business.

If running a business to you means not getting return phone calls, emails, or faxes when you put in purchase orders of $25,000, you are in the wrong business.

If running a business to you means that my customers should be hung out to dry because some manufacturer won't communicate order & account status for 3 months, you are in the wrong business.

If running a business to you means that any manufacturer can dictate what you do and do not carry in your store, how you set pricing on products other than your own line, or can push their own "ethics" on you while libeling you publicly, you are in the wrong business.

If running a business to you means that you should make yourself available 24 hours a day through email, home phone, and business phone to discuss any problems, take lightning action to resolve any said problems, and still be left in the dark and jerked around, you are in the wrong business.

It's not going to wash with me. You don't know what you are talking about.

It seems to me that Strider Knives just didn't want to be associated in a undercutting price war, why would you want to see your knives selling at some bargin basement web-site.
That's the funniest thing yet - an undercutting price war where none exists. Here's a website for you:

KnifeCenter: http://www.knifecenter.com -
They match our prices exactly for Emerson & are lower on a few other brands. Yet they are a dealer. According to your rules, they should not be.

TAD / Triple Aught Design - http://www.tadgear.com - Strider Knives Inc.'s favorite dealer
They are Microtech Distributors and sell their Microtech Knives below dealer price quite often. In fact, they are guilty of the same behavior you accused me of above, yet they are Strider's most prominent dealer. And yes, I <b>know </b> what dealer & distributor prices are on products, I don't have to guess. So, they do what you accuse me of, and I don't - yet I'm the one who is cut off.

Where is the honor in this unequal treatment? Or am I being singled out because someone else feels threatened?

I hope you guys cn clear this up or I fear I may not be able to read and post about Strider knives here any more.
Somehow I don't think this is possible anymore. I've more than done my part. I don't know what else I can do. Strider has chosen to ignore my requests for status until without warning they cut us off entirely, questioned my ethics, and now want to tell my customers about what I have "done" - something I'm still in the dark about.

You tell me what else I should have done.

Kevin

I'm interested in hearing these details as well.

After all, we did everything possible to comply with the <b>demands</b> of Strider Knives, specifically Mick Strider and Duane Dwyer.

This included:

1. Not advertising or even mentioning on the forums that we were a Strider "Dealer"
2. Not competing with the other Strider Dealers on BladeForums.com (or even any other forums)
3. Agreeing with a Dealer's agreement that was more stringent than any other we've dealt with.

That right there should have been enough for anyone else to throw up their hands and forget about doing business. Instead, I tried my hardest to work with Mick & Duane.

So, what am I guilty of? Well, as far as I can tell -

1. 1SKS carries Extrema Ratio brand knives, which somehow Strider views as a knock-off brand, despite massive differences between the models, materials, & designs.
2. I have an internet store
3. I posted pricing on Strider products at $5 off MSRP, which was not stated as being "wrong" in the dealer agreement I signed. Nevermind that the pricing was changed within minutes of getting an email from Mick where he expressed his displeasure.

As for <b>my</b> business ethics... let's see.

1. I've agreed to each and every reasonable demand (and a few unreasonable) from Strider Knives.
2. I've hosted a Strider Knives forum on BladeForums.com at no cost to Strider Knives for almost 2 years, allowing them to build up their internet business to unknown levels <b>free of charge</b> and without asking for anything in return.
3. I've gone out of my way to make sure the other Strider Dealers got more than a <b>fair shake</b> when it came to advertising on the forums.
4. I waited 9 months after banning TAD before approaching Strider for a dealership to completely remove any possibility of a "conflict of interest" or the two events being linked.
5. When approached by Linton Knives to carry their knock-off product, I turned them down cold.
6. I've "overlooked" the several times Mick has shilled TAD "exclusives" on the forum, despite our long discussion as to why they were banned.
7. I've made roughly 75 phone calls since Blade Show, several emails, a few faxes, purchase orders for $25000+ of product, and more than a few private messages trying to settle any situation without a coherent response as to what our situation was.
8. I've had more sales than I can count get cancelled or go to other vendors because we couldn't give an ETA thanks to Strider's lack of response.
9. Ask Vinnie and Matt D about how bad I "screwed" them to become dealers here and let them sell your product.

I find it amusing that Duane would challenge *my* ethics. I've been extremely forthright about everything I do. I went out of my way to be available for any questions or comments - even to the extent of providing my home phone number so I could be contacted. In turn, I have not been able to get a single return phone call.

So, I'm extremely interested in hearing what "ethics" problem I have.

Maybe it's that I have an ethics problem with being screwed. Maybe I have an ethics problem with not getting return phone call, fax, or email for 3 months. Maybe it's that I don't take being called a Nazi by Strider's pet dealer sitting down. Maybe I have an ethics problem with my customers going to other dealers because someone wants to play games instead of doing business. Maybe I have an ethics problem with my <b>military</b> customers getting jerked around by someone else's lack of follow-through.

The funny part about this is that most of the demands and problems Strider Knives seem to have were in no place listed in the dealer agreement we signed. Oh yeah, maybe I should provide that to the nice viewers.

• Nowhere did it say we couldn't advertise on the forums (though we agreed not to anyway).
  • Nowhere did it say that we couldn't advertise product for sale on the Internet. Heck, I even specifically asked for models so that we could get them into our magazine advertising - something I see <b>no</b> other Strider Dealer doing.
  • Nowhere did it say we could not discount their knives - thought I personally changed the pricing upon receipt of Mick's email.
  • Nowhere did it limit what other brands we could carry - which is <b>illegal</b> under restriction of trade laws.

All of this could have been avoided just by bothering to contact me. Instead, you choose to libel my company.

You guys wanted a pissing contest? You got it. All I asked for was a fair shake - instead you guys screwed me repeatedly, and even worse, screwed over my customers with this Mickey Mouse garbage. Most of all, you screwed the guys who came to me looking for equipment they could depend on. Congratulations.

Glad I could finally get an answer from you - I'm not surprised it was a post instead of a phone call.

Kevin

Though I don't post here often I do regularly come and find out what is happening with Strider knives. It would be a real disappointment to find that this escalates into the loss of Strider from BF. Hopefully things can be worked out.:(

"Does anyone know of any other web forums where the Strider Guys post???"

spartan_ajax, email sent.

The DB is a fine small fixed blade. My wife even likes it. It will never replace my AR, however. I'm going to write a short review and put it on the forum in the next few days...

Business relationships run aground...

'nuf said...

Mel

Due to inappropriate business ethics, One Stop Knife Shop’s status as a Strider Knives Inc. Dealer has been terminated.
Orders placed by this company were partially filled. Individuals who placed orders that were not filled due to this situation are encouraged to contact Strider Knives Inc. directly for more details.

Duane Dwyer
Strider Knives Inc.

:confused: :( so SORRY to see this happening. Striderguys got good
reputation we all know that. And Kevin seems to be an honest person.
What the heck is wrong? Better sitting together and have a peaceful
talk. There must have been some misunderstanding.

ERICLEW

uhm correct me if i am wrong but isnt MSRP
just a manufactures SUGGESTED retail price?

if it is suggested how is lowering the price slightly unethical?

I think you have a right to say what you said, Kevin. After all, forums should encompass the good, and even the bad about companies. That's fair. You've said your side of the story.

Still, I think you push your luck trying to reply in these forums. We are all Strider fans here.

Posted on 1SKS:

"To our customers: At this time all current orders for Strider Products are being put on hold due to lack of communications from Strider Knives. At this point, we have done everything in our power to secure these products for you. Our phone calls, faxes, & emails are going unanswered & unreturned; after 3 months we have no choice but to notify you of the situation. Again, we have done everything possible to resolve this on our end."

Ooooohhh. Knife gossip. Spicy.

Strider Knives has for a long time protected the company and the name.
I think Mick and Duane refuse to do business with people that would undercut the prices on Striders. Example 1SKS gets 10 Striders, another smaller dealer gets 10 Striders. 1SKS then starts to slowly undercut the smaller dealer until 1SKS is selling Striders for 30 bucks less then everyone else and now the litte dealer is SOL.
He can't compete. To PREVENT this Strider Knives has what I believe is the most fair policy in the knife business it is as follows...
Comply with the dealership agreement or you will be hunted down and killed.
Well maybe not that strict.
Anyway I know what prices are for dealers to get knives I know exactly what an Emerson Commander costs a dealer, how do I know this I did a little research. I know that 1SKS sells Emersons for alot less than I could if I was a small guy with a smaller clientel and no web-site.
This is a simple economies of scale.
If I sell 200 Striders at a profit of 20 bucks I beat the guy who sells 50 Striders at the MSRP and makes only 50.oo bucks. MSRP is a contractually binding agreement when you sign into a dealership agreement. Example MOD Masters of Defense Knives has a strict set MSRP on the knives they sell to dealers I see other web-sites breaking that MSRP all the time to make a buck.
However there are great Strider web sites www.badassknives.com for example.
The prices are set in stone with Strider Knives vary from them and you will be pulled as a dealer. Sell knock of POS knives and you will be pulled as a dealer.

Now many people are not accustomed to this method of business because it takes a man to do business this way do not forget we are dealing with a highly respected Ranger and a a highly respected Marine Scout Sniper. Its an in your face company and in your face with a 1/4" of flying war steel.

It seems to me that Strider Knives just didn't want to be associated in a undercutting price war, why would you want to see your knives selling at some bargin basement web-site.

I hope you guys cn clear this up or I fear I may not be able to read and post about Strider knives here any more.

Does anyone know of any other web forums where the Strider Guys post???
Please e-mail me if you guys are posting elsewhere.

Kevin lets hear the real story. I think this is way more than just a pricing issue.

I think someone put the screws to Kevin.

I think this issue may end the Strider portion of this Forum
That would be a sad thing to have happen!

Sorry for using 1SKS in my examples.

I just see this price cutting as a trend with production knives, but not with custom knives

I would not want to f*** with the STRIDER GUYS though.

I just see this price cutting as a trend with production knives, but not with custom knives

Custom Knives????????????? ... if you say so.

n2s

Well maybe not ALL Custom makers!

Anyway, heres the deal Strider Knives Inc. is Micks and Duanes company they can do what they want remember the web site used to say "Honor before all else except Loyalty"

I just think this little thread is bigger than all of us except Duane, Mick and 1SKS. Whatever 1SKS did they sure as hell pissed of the wrong people.

I tend to believe Mick and Duane and thier word.

Lets see what happens.

I hope I can still read the forums here and read about STRIDERs

Dude, this is all the information I have. I honestly don't know what the problem is past what I've posted above.

Like I said, I've been trying for months to figure out what's going on. I've provided my phone number for home and work, multiple email address, etc, and I can't even get a courtesy reply. I've called Strider Knives every other day, several times a day, and haven't been able to get a reply or return phone call.

Each time I've messaged Mick, he's told me he thought everything was cool, but I'd have to talk to Duane. So, I called for Duane, who never returned my phone calls. I faxed Duane, confirmed the shop got the fax, and heard nothing back. Emails were always answered with essentially "I'll talk to you soon". This has been going on since June.

I have no interest in "****ing the STRIDER GUYS" - all I've wanted is to do business.

If I wasn't serious about doing business, I wouldn't have placed orders for merchandise totalling over $25,000.

If I wasn't serious about doing business, I wouldn't have agreed to the demands of not selling on the forums.

If I wasn't serious about doing business, I'd have balked at their "20% up front" order deposit requirement.

If I wasn't serious about doing business, I wouldn't have asked for models to put in my magazine advertising. Oh, and FYI, we advertise in Tactical Knives, Blade Magazine, Soldier of Fortune, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, Special Weapons, and a couple others... something again I see no other Strider dealer doing.

I was more than serious about doing business - I offered a level of commitment that I see is now being maligned as poor business ethics. I don't know how much more serious I could have been.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back