NOW TAKING SUBMISSIONS: Blade & Edge Knife Making Competition!

Hey everyone!
We're hosting the first ever Blade & Edge Knife Making Competition, and we're super excited to invite any knife makers to submit their entries! This year the competition is sponsored by AmeriBrade, Combat Abrasives, Knifemaker Direct, and the Knife Talk Podcast! (see below for prizes)

Theme: "The Final Frontier", to be interpreted however you like
Competition opens: March 1st
Competition closes: April 30th

1st Prize:
-
Rotary Platen + accessory arm from AmeriBrade
- 2 x 72 belt package from Combat Abrasives
- Damascus steel bundle + G10 bundle from Knifemaker direct

And with 3 amazing judges from the Knife Talk Podcast:

Mareko Maumasi of Maumasi Fire Arts
Geoff Feder of Feder Knives
Craig Lockwood of Chop Knives

You can check out more details and entry requirements at the competition page, as well as submit your entry here: Blade and Edge Competition Entries

Would love to hear in the comments if you're planning on submitting an entry, or have any questions!

Last edited:
I want to participate! I don’t think I have time to though 😢
And there isn’t really anything in my upcoming build schedule that I could enter either.

I want to participate! I don’t think I have time to though 😢
And there isn’t really anything in my upcoming build schedule that I could enter either.
Hey Joseph! Traditionally, we do tack on a few weeks of "extensions" at the end of the contest (that's not official, but it's not uncommon)...so I'd say if you want to participate, give it a shot, you might find you've got a little extra time! Oh and btw, we just released the trailer, check it out and let me know what you think:

Hrrm, but the "blades and edges" aren't tested.

So this is a knife "building" and "design" competition based on subjective criteria?
You're not wrong! Shipping knives in and back is complicated and expensive so for this year at least, the competition will be based on images and videos. We're definitely aware of the limitations with this model, which is why the knives will be scored based on originality of design and execution of the build...both of which, we know, are subjective! But to be fair, it'll be Mareko Maumasi doing the judging so maybe subjective isn't a bad thing in this case...

We just confirmed that the boys at Knife Talk Podcast will all be judging this year's Blade and Edge competition! That's Mareko Maumasi, Geoff Feder, and Craig Lockwood...really looking forward to having them on board to check out everyone's hard work!

Dwidling said:
All work must be original and done 100% by you (no blanks please).

I send CAD files of my designs to be profile cut and heat treated by a third party. Does this disqualify me?

I send CAD files of my designs to be profile cut and heat treated by a third party. Does this disqualify me?
Hey David! Thanks for your question. I would say no, as long as the design is yours. What we don't really want to see are blanks bought from a supplier that are generic in design. A big part of the competition is interpreting the theme in a unique way and coming up with your own design.

No kit knives. That sounds reasonable. Thanks for the quick reply.

Hey everyone!
We're hosting the first ever Blade & Edge Knife Making Competition, and we're super excited to invite any knife makers to submit their entries! This year the competition is sponsored by AmeriBrade, Combat Abrasives, Knifemaker Direct, and the Knife Talk Podcast! (see below for prizes)

Theme: "The Final Frontier", to be interpreted however you like
Competition opens: March 1st
Competition closes: April 30th

1st Prize:
-
Rotary Platen + accessory arm from AmeriBrade
- 2 x 72 belt package from Combat Abrasives
- Damascus steel bundle + G10 bundle from Knifemaker direct

And with 3 amazing judges from the Knife Talk Link Podcast:

Mareko Maumasi of Maumasi Fire Arts
Geoff Feder of Feder Knives
Craig Lockwood of Chop Knives

You can check out more details and entry requirements at the competition page, as well as submit your entry here: Blade and Edge Competition Entries

Would love to hear in the comments if you're planning on submitting an entry, or have any questions!
There is no need of this i really like this

Just wanted to bump this for everyone...the competition is coming along nicely and I'm super excited to see everyone's entries!

is it really necessary to join a facebook group? i deleted my facebook profile years ago
No, we recommend it because that's where we communicate competition updates and things like that. You can enter without joining, just updated the contest guidelines, thanks for bringing that up!

So…what was the outcome of this competition?

hmmm I totally forgot about this

Back