Old Friends

I just visited with a friend who was told 4 years ago that he had 6 months to live, so every time I see him, I don't know if it might be the last time. He gave me this little Spyderco which immediately went on the shelf with the other knives that I treasure. He was carrying the Spyderco that I gave him almost 20 years ago and he asked me to put an edge on it, like he does every time we meet.
df4XSEJh.jpg

This is a touching story about friendship and cherishing moments. It highlights the bond you share with your friend, emphasizing how each visit could be precious. The exchange of Spyderco knives takes center stage, symbolizing a long-standing connection and the trust he places in you. The detail of him still carrying the Spyderco you gifted nearly 20 years ago speaks volumes about the value he places on your friendship.

Thanks for the inspirational anecdote. Knife people really are some of the best kind.

I had a good friend who I reconnected with right here on Bladeforums. He had a terminal disease that finally took him. We would try to get together fairly often, but I'll always regret not being there more. I have one Knife I traded for from him and it is obviously a precious thing. It too is a spyderco. Kiwi with bone handle. At least I still have that and the memories.

Mortality sucks, but it does lend a precious quality to the time we have with friends.

Back