"Old Knives"

Nice additions all :thumbsup: ... I really find it interesting that all the examples of post-1860 integral liners so far are Barlows or military knives as Neal pointed out... hmnn - is that based on the design and the possibility it was easier to make these with integral liners? or perhaps it added durability to these knives having a solid liner/bolster?.. I imagine there are more hawkbill pruners post-1860 with integral liners as well...
An interesting point. I have speculated that the movement away from integral liner/bolsters was the result of changes in manufacturing processes by companies like Russell to produce the parts by machine. There was an article from an early 1900's catalogue of theirs I have seen posted that mentions swaged parts, which I assumed would include the bolsters. Other makers would have stayed with more traditional methods until it made economic sense for them to change, and the military at the time was often very conservative.

Great knives gents!
L F & C 'universal' picnic set, marked "Trooper" on the shield.
A click on the first pic should zoom on the shield.
GUyuEMI.jpg

nSnSb0T.jpg

nVR07T3.jpg

Missoula (arched, over) Mercantile (over) Co.
Elegant, well-treated 3" pen knife, with nice details and good snap!
What more could you ask for in an antique knife??
Both blades are stamped, suggesting an older knife. Jigging not unlike older Camillus or Rodgers bone.
Missoula Merc 1.jpg Missoula Merc 2.jpg Missoula Merc 3.jpg

Levine's Guide and Goins' encyclopedia of cutlery markings say Missoula Mercantile Co. existed between 1885 and 1972, in Missoula, Montana.
I am going to guess the knife was made between 1910 and 1930. Please post your opinion!

Very nice and interesting picnic set Mark! George beautiful Schrade and M&G. Charlie that is one gorgeous pen knife! Thanks for posting photos gentlemen.

Here are three HSB & Co. OVB folders. Top is a swell center or Coke bottle folding hunter (NYKC), left one is a dog leg tear drop Jack and on the right is a regular Jack. Lloyd
IMG_1299.jpg

YOUR Very Best, Lloyd!!:)
Lovely collection and picture; the Very Best indeed!!:thumbsup:

thanks waynorth, Gevonovich, and Luger!

I've never seen a Missoula knife before, but I've been to the town a couple of times. nice knife, I like the square ends

nice trio Luger

GEORGE, that SWEDGE!!! BEAUTIFUL M&G:cool:

CHARLIE,
how neat is that rare maker/stamp??? Very NICE:thumbsup:

LLOYD, OVB
is AOK;):D seriously Lloyd, just wonderful knives you post:thumbsup: not sure I've asked before or not but are you going to the rendezvous? I sure hope so.

Last edited:
Back