Old Leatherman patent #4238862

Did you check for a date stamp? I hear if it's missing then you have one of the ones from the period before they started putting the manufacturing date on the inside of the handles. I assume they started doing that for warranty purposes.

Very cool piece! Looks like it only has inches on the handles without metric units. Having the patent number should date it to early to mid 1980’s according to the “PST Chronology Project” over at Multitool.org.

Thanks for the replies and info,

First, I hope posting this topic is in the right place and if not maybe switch it mods please.

Funny, but I have no idea how this goofy thing was acquired.....looks like a flea market pick up or estate sale decades ago. Knew I had it somewhere but hadn't touched it for lottsa years. Joining this forum was a good idea......get the crazy sap rising a bit.

Seems to be no date stamp like later incarnations have or had and yeah, only inches measured. I reckon it's the second run of these tools, the first being a tiny run for Cabellas around 1985 or thereabouts.

Sheath is crispy dry and beat up, but the tool is perfect, complete with a sharp blade edge.

Any other thoughts are welcomed,,

Martin

Last edited:
Sheath is crispy dry and beat up, but the tool is perfect, complete with a sharp blade edge.

Any other thought are welcomed

I have to disagree about the tool being perfect. It looks kinda scratched up, and what's up with those flat drivers? That doesn't look normal to me. Is that pitting?

I have to disagree about the tool being perfect. It looks kinda scratched up, and what's up with those flat drivers? That doesn't look normal to me. Is that pitting?
Hi there,

I forgot what kinda place this is.....heh. I guess what I meant was it's perfectly fine when it comes to using the thing. Yep, some scratches on the outside but clean and intact inside with all it's appendages undamaged and shiny.

Attachments

• 20240229_043415.jpg
    20240229_043415.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240229_043430.jpg
    20240229_043430.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 4
I have a New Old Stock, in the box, one of those around here somewhere. I bought it several years ago and "put it up" somewhere. I carried SOG's for the last few decades and just recently decided to replace them with a new Leatherman because U.S.A. and started researching and found this place. I ended up with a new Arc, but I keep searching for that darned PST that I hid from myself for safe keeping. All I remember is the box looked like old timey cardboard and was faded. The tool, I think, was never used.

Very cool find, dodgy. My (late) dad used to buy Leatherman's and give them as gifts. My oldest son told me the other day that he still had several that "Grampa" had given him.

Cool re-find. I keep a PST in the boat and use it all the time. Bought my first one in the store on a Naval ship when I was in the Marines. Still have that and the identical one I bought for my Dad. He still had the box for his. I know Leatherman and others have come a long way since the PST but I really do prefer it to others. The only other Leatherman I own is the Bond, and only because it was so similar in size to the PST.

Hi gang,

Found this piece way back in the arsenal. No idea when it was acquired......sheesh! Knife tools all in nice shape.
With "POCKET SURVIVAL TOOL" spelled out like that, it dates c. early to mid late 90s. The earliest PSTs were released in December '83. Even in used condition, that would be a keeper in my opinion. Enjoy! T-A

Back