On Cliff's banning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin,

Just curious. Was there more to what happened that just the post? Your house, your rules. I understand. Just seems like the punishment was disproprortionate to the crime, so to speak. I should think at least a warning was in order unless there is more to it. That said, I do understand why rules have to be established and enforced.

Verb

Verb - if someone wants to talk shit about this website, they are more than welcome to do so elsewhere, especially when the person talking shit has long been seen as an inveterate troublemaker. That post was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

I don't think Cliffy will be answering anymore posts here Tom.

Spark just banned him for talking trash about
STR

Banning Cliff is really saddening. Despites some controversial ideas, who is perfect?; Cliff has provided many insights that I am sure many people have enjoyed. Cliff is very popular, “iconoclastic” person. I am sure that some knife makers and their eager eyed acolytes are celebrating his “death”, but many BF users are left puzzled and confused by that decision.

By banning Cliff we are not only loosing a strong debater and very knowledgeable person but also one of the few people who have contributed their time and energy for the community by writing numerous reviews and answering questions raised on the forum.

Dear Spark,

I plead to you that you try to overcome your personal feelings and even if you believe that you are unjustly hurt by some of Cliff’s comments, please also take into account his contribution to this forum and to the knife community in general, over the last few years, and consider restoring his membership.

If there are other reasons for the ban, that the public is unaware of, I would appreciate if you let the members know.
:confused:

Banning Cliff is really saddening. Despites some controversial ideas, who is perfect?; Cliff has provided many insights that I am sure many people have enjoyed. Cliff is very popular, “iconoclastic” person. I am sure that some knife makers and their eager eyed acolytes are celebrating his “death”, but many BF users are left puzzled and confused by that decision.

By banning Cliff we are not only loosing a strong debater and very knowledgeable person but also one of the few people who have contributed their time and energy for the community by writing numerous reviews and answering questions raised on the forum.

Dear Spark,

I plead to you that you try to overcome your personal feelings and even you believe that you are unjustly hurt by some of Cliff’s comments, please also take into account his contribution to this forum and to the knife community in general, over the last few years, and consider restoring his membership.

If there are other reasons for the ban, that the public is unaware of, I would appreciate if you let the members know.
:confused:

This is a thread about D2. Your post belongs in Bladeforums Service and Support where there already is a thread in progress.

BTTTOH...Military is on it's way...can't wait! :) Except I am out of town all week on a business trip. Mailman should be reassured though as I won't be stalking him ;)

Posts # 4, 5, & 6 above moved to here from "How brittle is D2?" to keep that thread on topic.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4890437&postcount=124

I will take you at your word. That puts a different light on it. The ban itself, frankly, looked kind of like summary execution. Perhaps taken in context over the period you mention perhaps things would look differently. I'm too much of a newbie (relatively speaking) to have the perspective of the harm Cliff may have caused. As I said in my original post, I do understand why rules are there and must be enforced. I can't help but feel a sense of loss that Cliff could not put his ego aside or conform enough to BF rules. Greater good I guess. Kevin, please lock this thread also so we can move on. And thank you for Blade Forums.

Verb

please lock this thread also so we can move on

Sheesh, you haven't been around Bladeforums much, have you....

Maybe if you try using both hands on your mouse you can find enough strength to move on to another thread without needing a moderator to help you.

banned3.gif

Get over it.

Sheesh, you haven't been around Bladeforums much, have you....

Maybe if you try using both hands on your mouse you can find enough strength to move on to another thread without needing a moderator to help you.

Seems like Whine and Cheese and Service and Support are merging. And yelling and put downs are displacing rational discussion. That's fine. Try to be civil. Get put down. Welcome to Bladeforums.

Verb

I act like that whenever people ask the moderators to lock or delete threads they've lost interest in, no matter what forum it's on. Beware, next I'll post a lolcat, or possibly a cartoon or a sound file or a turtle ... hey, I know:

VIOLENCE.WAV

There is a lack of coherence in the mindset that thinks Cliff was unfairly silenced, and then wants his silencing silenced.

Cliff was given years to establish his character and his position here. He's the one who made a problem of himself. He wore out his welcome. Those he left behind, the rest of here at Bladeforums, are as free to discuss his banning as he was to make it inevitable.

"Help help I'm being repressed! That's what I'm on about. You saw him repressing me didn't you?"

Sorry about that. Nothing of any real substance to add here. Cougar's link made me do it. -DT

There is a lack of coherence in the mindset that thinks Cliff was unfairly silenced, and then wants his silencing silenced.

Cliff was given years to establish his character and his position here. He's the one who made a problem of himself. He wore out his welcome. Those he left behind, the rest of here at Bladeforums, are as free to discuss his banning as he was to make it inevitable.

my initial perspective wasn't complete. I think the whole point of lumping a group of people with different experience with Cliff together as if they are monolithic just because they dare to ask or question may be convenient, but not terribly helpful. Your response just like Cougar's sounds like another put down. Moving on.

You become more and more incoherent with each response. Moving on would be a great idea.

:rolleyes:

Verb

You become more and more incoherent with each response. Moving on would be a great idea.

If you guys want Cliff, why don't you just e-mail him and have him start his own group. Heck, you folks could go old school and take over the old rec.knives on Google Groups(www.dejanews.com) . All Cliff, all day.

Just stop whining about it.

Cliff is very popular, “iconoclastic” person. I am sure that some knife makers and their eager eyed acolytes are celebrating his “death”, but many BF users are left puzzled and confused by that decision.

If you, or a close friend, was chosen to be the icon undergoing the iconoclasty, would your celebration change? Does liking a person who makes knives you enjoy make you an eager eyed acolyte? Spark used this site to call Mick Strider out for some claims, so I hope you don't think the decision was made to please knifemakers.

How about pouring an obsessive amount of your waking moments making knives with the intent of solving problems for your customers? Would you like to sink years of blood, sweat, and effort into a product and hear someone call you a liar, cheat, and a fraud because you grind knives a certain way or choose a particular steel, lock, or heat-treatment? Do you understand the emotional impact one feels from being called a liar for the sole crime of having a different opinion and experience? There is a big difference between wishing and asking/begging/pleading for a knifemaker to make knives more in line with your opinion of how a certain type of knife should be to please you (or me; I like knives, too!) and calling them dishonest or incompetent for not running their business the way an outside party with no financial obligation to employees and lenders might want things done.

That's very true. Large tracts of my opinions have been formed by both Cliff Stamp and by seeking out the writings, opinions, and knives of folks with whom he spoke. If there's one thing no one questions about Cliff, it's his strong passion for cutlery. He also has a strong writing style and a desire to create computer models to help users and makers better predict the behaviors of certain steels in a variety of shapes. That doesn't excuse his behavior towards Spark, the guy who actually had to bear the brunt of the backlash for Cliff's "iconoclasty." And none of this stops you from studying up about everything knife-related you can learn or from sharing it with us here at bladeforums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back