Opinel mods

I got this knife a long time ago at a yard sale for two dollars. The tip was broken and the handle cracked. I reshaped it as little as possible and used it a fair amount.

Then I decided, upon seeing so many cool Opinel mods, to mod mine.

Thanks for looking.

OMG what a score - that's beautiful

Need to work on handle finish. I was limited with 320 grit paper and 2 bottles of dye, but I like how they turned out.
rdbIOis.jpg

Send the question via email, asking in the thread when not in a sales section is akin to asking for an infraction.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

But he is right, that thing is a work of art.

I got this knife a long time ago at a yard sale for two dollars. The tip was broken and the handle cracked. I reshaped it as little as possible and used it a fair amount.

Then I decided, upon seeing so many cool Opinel mods, to mod mine.

Thanks for looking.

Wow, what a fantastic mod! :thumbup:

It is especially neat because every aspect of the knife has been modified. :thumbup::cool:

Got after my Carbone No. 6 and this is what I created. Very heavy "black" patina on the blade and Bombay Mahogany on the handle. Love this little thing now, not that I didn't before. I will be experimenting with more Opinel's in the future.

20160201_202541.jpg

Has someone an idea how to make the locking ring of the Opinel No.8 more grippy? Its very difficult to lock the knife when my hands are wet. I'm looking for a neat mod,not something like skateboard tape or so ;)

Nice mods all. I also use my Dremel sanding wheel to cut a "easy opener" notch down just above the nail nick to make it easier to open. To make the locking ring more grippy, maybe try coarse sand paper or emory?? Personally, I'd use my Dremel sanding wheel (which I haven't since I don't find it necessary).
Rich

I actually push on the notch itself to the side and use that to rotate the ring, not spin the ring by gripping it.

By pushing on the notch you open it slightly which aids in it spinning as opposed to squeezing the ring closed or slipping on it when your hands are wet and/or cold.

No mod yet for my lock ring.

I too use the notch on the lock ring to turn it, I would use some 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper on the protruding rifge on the ring. Mine has a rough spot right by the notch from sanding the wood, and it helps a bit I think.

Pinnah's mod of flattening the sides of the handle on a sanding block is one of my favorite and most noticeable mods to an opi. That and rounding over the edges on the tail make it way more comfortable.

I like to chamfer the edges where the cutout for the blade is, because they bite into my hand when using it.

Connor

Back