[Or maybe not. More on post 22.]Maybe this is enough gaucho knives for now.

screened porch

Basic Member
sferGUj.jpg

I could look at those beauties a long time.

I would probably end up with a few more, if I were in your shoes. :)

Thank you, gents.

Beautiful knives. Are they all South American?
The leather one is South-American, but I don't think the seller was more specific. The short one is by Ju-Ca of Tandil, Argentina. The other metal ones are apparently by Elmo of Argentina (try googling Elmo- Nothing but muppets). No name on them, but a twisted bugle mark that means Elmo in the e-harbor.

I would probably end up with a few more, if I were in your shoes. :)
Well, to be honest, I hope I do.

What is this "ee-nuff" you speak of?
Yeah, where did that come from?

Nice collection Jer :) I'd love to find a few more of these, but when, rarely, I see them, they are stupidly priced (by idiots who don't even know what they are). The exception being the solitary one I have, which cost me £10 :thumbsup:

Gaucho Knife 1.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black , you lucked out finding one without the picturesque cowboy decorations. No offense intended to picturesque cowboys, but I suspect those are for us tourists.

I've seen only two in real life, the cowboy one in my picture that was in an antique mall in Holland Mi for so long I'd forgotten I'd been to the mall before, and one in Saugatuck that disappeared sooner. Both marked well over $100. (I paid $30 to the widow for mine).
The other three are all from the aqueous auction site and quite recent finds. The final two being a last minute self-birthday present that arrived two days ago.
ssqLkKW.jpg

I suspect the shiny blade on the metal one didn't start life with the handle and scabbard, which are well worn. There's just a fleck of the gold wash behind the horse's muzzle, and there are a couple turns of string around the shank of the belt hook, as if someone had tied the knife to the sheath or the sheath to a belt.

The shiny blade says gaucha on one side and has a picture that could be Dale Evans on the side showing. But if anyone gets close enough to snicker at my girly blade etch, I'll probably have lost the fight and gone to my reward.

I wonder if the leather one belonged to a gaucho chuck-wagon chef.

Last edited:
Jack Black Jack Black , you lucked out finding one without the picturesque cowboy decorations. No offense intended to picturesque cowboys, but I suspect those are for us tourists.

I've seen only two in real life, the cowboy one in my picture that was in an antique mall in Holland Mi for so long I'd forgotten I'd been to the mall before, and one in Saugatuck that disappeared sooner. Both marked well over $100. (I paid $30 to the widow for mine).
The other three are all from the aqueous auction site and quite recent finds. The final two being a last minute self-birthday present that arrived two days ago.
ssqLkKW.jpg

I suspect the shiny blade on the metal one didn't start life with the handle and scabbard, which are well worn. There's just a fleck of the gold wash behind the horse's muzzle, and there are a couple turns of string around the shank of the belt hook, as if someone had tied the knife to the sheath or the sheath to a belt.

The shiny blade says gaucha on one side and has a picture that could be Dale Evans on the side showing. But if anyone gets close enough to snicker at my girly blade etch, I'll probably have lost the fight and gone to my reward.

LOL! :D They are really cool Jer :) :thumbsup: I saw one today that has been in the same antiques shop for over a year, priced at over £100, and described as a 'Boot Knife'! o_O

Jack Black Jack Black , are the ones you generally see there originating in S.A. or do you think they are coming from Portugal, Spain, etc...
From what I read the gaucho knives came over with the Portuguese immigrants to Argentina in the form of facons?

Jack Black Jack Black , are the ones you generally see there originating in S.A. or do you think they are coming from Portugal, Spain, etc...
From what I read the gaucho knives came over with the Portuguese immigrants to Argentina in the form of facons?

As far as I know, they come over from S.A. I guess holidaying there is no longer that exotic. There are some great photos and links about different types of Gaucho knives in this thread, which might be of interest :) - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/knives-of-cassius-m-clay-of-kentucky-1810-1903.1357594/

ssqLkKW.jpg

Nothin wrong with Dale Evans! It was a good show.

Thank you, gents.

The leather one is South-American, but I don't think the seller was more specific. The short one is by Ju-Ca of Tandil, Argentina. The other metal ones are apparently by Elmo of Argentina (try googling Elmo- Nothing but muppets). No name on them, but a twisted bugle mark that means Elmo in the e-harbor.

Well, to be honest, I hope I do.

Yeah, where did that come from?
I have one just like your top one, and I have found the bugle to mean Eberle of Brazil in my online search!

Thank you for the link which leads to many more links. :) I am looking forward to perusing all of them.

You're very welcome, they are certainly spectacular knives to look at :) :thumbsup:

I have found the bugle to mean Eberle of Brazil in my online search!
Thanks. Then I have three Brazillians and one Argentine.
I thought I had identified the pretzel bugle company after I bought the top one, but someone in BRL's, who knows his criollos, thought it unlikely. And I don't remember the name anyway.
Eberle's fine with me.

One last note about the wood-and-leather one: the seller enlarged on its history for me. Something over 60 years ago, a guy who was working on a sugar plantation in Brazil was given this knife by a gaucho who was working on a ranch associated with the plantation.

Back