Ouparator #15 ordered.

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Moving right along I finally got a start on this yesterday for a customer but still have to cut this one out and then do the other side. Seen here all the holes are drilled out and the pattern is laid down for the band saw which will be next.

STR

I can't wait to have it in my pocket. I'm really glad I happened across the Ouparator in my BF browsing before I dropped $400+ on a different custom Ti Wharny. The design is exactly what I've been looking for.

Yep. Soon as I get a day where I am sure the brown outs are over and we are out of the woods with the weather the way its been I hope to make more progress in the right direction on your folder.

STR

Sounds good. I intend to do a detailed review with lots of pictures in the review forum when it gets here. This will be my first custom knife.

Made some progress on this one today also. Got both slabs cut out for the folder. Managed to make all my holes and get its clip started also. Trying hard to maximize my time since I don't know if the power will go out on me again for the eighth day in a row. So far so good though.

STR

You will be happy to know that I am finally caught back up to where I should be and will be starting into yours again tomorrow Joe. I do apologize for the delay but I try to knock all these jobs that are paid for out and get them out of here before moving on to others.

It won't be long now though. I promise. Besides I have something very special in mind for you for your first ever handmade folder in my effort to make up for the delay. You'll like!

STR

That sounds very exciting, and I'm really looking forward to it Thanks for the update.

Steve is really terrific and makes a great folder. I trust my Ouperator completely and what I like is ..........everything! Rock solid lockup, wonderful clip and is secure when closed and cannot be gravity flipped open. And with our more Draconian like laws and government minions who carry out these laws in regard to knife carry that is important.
RKH

Been mapping out your blade today getting all my ducks in a row. Made a good bit of progress. Due to the thickness difference I had to make my own stand offs in the back to space it so this one is the first Ouparator and of what has been few and far between coming from me due to the level of difficulty to craft my own custom ones for an 'open design' Time for a little 'teaser' for ya even though it will ruin my surprise.

I don't mind though. I'm sure you won't either. :D

We'll talk again later. Got a lot going on today with more than just knives so I'll be in and out.

Thanks for checking in.

STR

Wow, Steve ! Is that a damascus blade? I did not know you had the Ouparator in damsacus also ! Looks great! By the way, I just sent you the knife I mentioned for the detente problem. Take care. Danny

Its the only one I've ever done. I've been doing some testing of various steels and this one gentleman that I met is quite knowledgable and very good at what he does. This is some of the better damascus I've had the opportunity to work with. I like it a lot for that but when you combine the looks of it too because its also one of the better looking ones, well, you have a real winner.

I may be doing more of these and for all I know I may do just that from now on and do away with the other steels I've been using. I guess it all depends. Its a bit more work to do it in damascus for several reasons and they would cost more since it costs me more so thats the hold up. These are not the cheapest blades being forged and this nice looking as far as the patterns he gets. It may be worth it though since I believe this blade will outperform most of the others I've done so far as far as cutting.

Anyway, Joes price will be a one time deal for him. I thought it would be a good way to make up to him for being so long getting to his order which he did place a while ago with me. I've never taken this long on anything before I don't think and he has been very patient and understanding watching me knock out stuff that was technically behind him in the line up of when things were ordered from me. For that I thank him. Its not everyone that can watch that when they know they were next but he accepted my asking if that was ok and didn't flinch. :thumbup:

STR

Wow, I can't believe I get the first damascus Ouparator! This is a fantastic surprise...and beautiful damascus, at that!

Thank you, STR. Now, it's not only my first handmade, but my first damascus blade, as well.

This is just too cool, and I'm very eager to hold the finished piece.

Whar steels compose the blade?

I tried to get all the details of that out of him but all he would tell me was that its a proprietary blend of 01 with mild steel and a few other special secret mixes for good measure.

You'll like it I think. But hey if you don't want it I can always keep it. :D

STR

Oh yeah, Dan I'll let you know when that arrives.

Joe, don't forget the first open designed Ouparator folder also. ;)

STR

O-1 sounds great to me. I hope you don't mind if I stand beside my decision to purchase it from you. :)

Something told me ya might! :D

Trust me I'm used to watching all the good ones leave me. I only get to keep the seconds!:eek:

STR

Back