Overnighter-Late Steamed Winter Fish!

I wanted to get another overnighter in while the temperatures were still low. Low was 26F and I used only a long-fire to sleep next to, which requires a lot of time to process wood. Lots of wood!
Winter nights are long, dark is full-on at about 5:30 (late winter) and to keep warm that is about 14 hours of fire…!

I started with a modified log-cabin fire, which directly translates to—lazy man’s log-cabin fire.
I made the structure the same, but just put all the tinder, kindling at the bottom, and formed a tipi.

Log-cabin fire’s always heat my water and form coals for cooking…fast.

Scandinavian Steamed Fish…

I took a hatchet and got some maple chips…

Then I laid the chips at the bottom of a pan, placed spruce and pine needles on top, then added water. I placed the fish on the bed of needles, added water to the bottom and set over the coals. It took about 15 minutes to perfectly cook the fish…

Added a healthy dose of Buckweat for a real Scandi meal!

Long-Fire

Lots of wood is needed to sleep near a long-fire. Not only large logs, but lots of kindling to brand up the fire once it dies and you wake in the night or early morning hours. Just throwing logs on a bed of coals in the 20s just won’t do it. It is super important to surround the bed/sleeping area with logs for fuel and small fuel to throw on during the night.

Red Beans & Rice was supper.

At 5:30 I knew it was time to start the fire, which would need to burn until 7 am-ish.

It is common to have up to 6 logs on at a time to throw heat onto my pole bed, which was one-step away from the fire, sometimes closer.

Left over

I woke up about 4 times to add wood, and was able to fall back to sleep with no problem!

Morning view!

Good for you at getting out buddy. It has been a cold snap and -20C something here lately, which I DO NOT ENJOY. I TOOK A kUKRI OUT A WEEK OR TWO AGO FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, MADE A FIRE ETC. I DON,T THINK THAT I CARE FOR THE WEIGHT OF THAT BOAT ANCHOR kUKRI.

Sorry about the caps, I just looked up and saw it, too lazy to retype, lol.

I had to smile when you referred to your modified log-cabin fire as a "lazy man’s log-cabin fire" It's my preferred method of getting a campfire. Thanks for posting the great pics, entertaining and informative as usual:thumbup:

You don't mind pine flavored fish ?? I think there are better choices !
Steaming though is a great way to cook fish. I usually do things like finely chopping onion, tomatoes , parsley ,cook that just a bit in olive oil .Then lay filets on top, cover and steam .The fish shouldn't need more than about 10 minutes.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the maple chips in the bottom? I understand the needles are to suspend the fish above the water. Is the maple chips in the water going to infuse some maple flavor into the fish? Never have tried this so wanting to learn from your experience.

Good for you at getting out buddy. It has been a cold snap and -20C something here lately, which I DO NOT ENJOY. I TOOK A kUKRI OUT A WEEK OR TWO AGO FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, MADE A FIRE ETC. I DON,T THINK THAT I CARE FOR THE WEIGHT OF THAT BOAT ANCHOR kUKRI.

Sorry about the caps, I just looked up and saw it, too lazy to retype, lol.

The weight must be similar to an axe?

I had to smile when you referred to your modified log-cabin fire as a "lazy man’s log-cabin fire" It's my preferred method of getting a campfire. Thanks for posting the great pics, entertaining and informative as usual:thumbup:

It's a tepee in a cabin, really.

You don't mind pine flavored fish ?? I think there are better choices !
Steaming though is a great way to cook fish. I usually do things like finely chopping onion, tomatoes , parsley ,cook that just a bit in olive oil .Then lay filets on top, cover and steam .The fish shouldn't need more than about 10 minutes.

No pine flavor, I used spruce and pine needles and they just aided in moisture need for steaming.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the maple chips in the bottom? I understand the needles are to suspend the fish above the water. Is the maple chips in the water going to infuse some maple flavor into the fish? Never have tried this so wanting to learn from your experience.

It gave the fish a wood smoked flavor and aroma.

-RB

Back