"P" Sebenza Question

O.K. I tried the search feature and know I've read about the "P" Sebenza somewhere, I just don't think I'm asking the right question in the search feature, if someone knows the link it would be appreciated. Otherwise.....

I know the first Sebenza's were made by Reeve himself and were marked "H".

How many were marked "P"?

For some reason I thought some were also marked "P1" and "P2" but I could be wrong (just ask my wife, happens ALL the time). If some were marked this way are they "older" or "newer" than the ones marked with just a "P"?

In short: After the "H" handmades what is the sequence of markings (and dates) before they abandonded the "P"?

Any info is very appreciated!

Mahalo!

Thomas

------------------
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

The following is taken from St. James' Sebenza FAQ thread (a great source of info; thanks again, James):
Sebenzas History!!

"We introduced the large Sebenza in 1990. These early Sebenzas were pretty much hand made - in so far as each handle and blade was cut out individually and profiled by hand on the grinder. They were all marked H followed by a serial number.

In mid-1991, we entered the rather scary world of computer controlled machines and bought a CNC machining center. At the time, it was a major step financially and we were not sure whether it would do what we wanted it to do! The rationale behind this was to enable us to produce more knives (and keep the cost reasonable) and to ensure that our tolerances were kept very tight. Machining on the mill ensures that the holes are in exactly the right place, the profile is exactly how we want it.

We reduced the thickness of the titanium for the handle and altered the blade shape slightly. These knives were marked P as in production to distinguish them from H as in handmade. There has been quite a bit of misrepresentation that the P stands for prototype.

The blades were then, and are still today, hand ground, even though the outline (or profile) is machined on the CNC. Two years ago, we progressed to a larger machining center and are constantly reducing our tolerances!

The "H" or "P" is engraved into the titanium handle next to our CR logo."

– Anne Reeve, 10/26/98

Hi Hoss! I just got my Sebenza back from CRK for some warranty work and it is marked P125. I think it is a pre production model. I am not sure how many are marked like this. I hope to find out something from this thread.
michael

------------------
"For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword."
Heb. 4:12

"Lets meet at my house before the game on Sunday" God

Nope......#125 of production series...PP stands for pre production on the Umfaan..H is for handmade...no cnc machines...dont no how many knives they numbererd in P series before they stopped with numbers all together....You would have to ask Anne...The handmades were only the large sebenzas...small sebenzas were all production models with the P designation
I own #H 10 of large sebenza..purchased 7/91 and P 10 and P 11 of small sebenzas..bought in 10/93, you can tell if it is cnc or not by the extra hole on non locking slab..the extra hole is a guide hole for use with the cnc machines...I believe only the large H sebenza has no extra guide hole

------------------
as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another....Pr.27:17

[This message has been edited by kawanin (edited 02-19-2001).]

Back