Paddling into 2013

Nice! Good work on the seat drops. And I'm sure the boys had a good time, as long as their attention span allows. I might suggest a couple of toy plastic boats on strings, a pair of dip nets and bottles for treasures! Oh, and my granddaughter loves my small sculling paddle. It is just her size! Luckily, it floats well.

My own children are now adults with children of their own. And some of their fondest memories are of our canoe trips.

I like the Foxworx paddles. Since I got my Mitchell, I hardly ever pick up the old plastic Mohawk/Carslile "snake beaters" though I always carry one strapped in as a spare.

Please do post more often.

[video=youtube;tInE8dhsfFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInE8dhsfFk[/video]

Canoe update ... closing in on the last of the season here for paddling 2013.

First I want to say how much I have been enjoying all the great posts in this thread.

In fall here, canoeing the river is a crisp, peaceful glide through the shoreline reflections.

DSCF3317RIVERTOWEST750MED_zps63196187.jpg

DSCF3324REFLECTIONUNDERMAPLE750MED_zps03fbc8a6.jpg

DSCF3325CANOEANDPUPS750MED_zps2295aec9.jpg

Yesterday there was a mix of rain, Ice pellets, a few snowflakes ... then parting of the clouds to let a little sunshine through. A great working day; stay in motion or freeze. So, a perfect day for those last chores of fall. I took up the stairs leading to the dock. The river was so high and the current so strong that there is no way I could tow the dock upstream and through the fallen maple to its usual winter spot. I may rope it downstream along the bank to a more level area where it will be safe from the ice and spring flow.

The canoe was partially swamped and, with no sound footing left around it, there was only one way it could be righted ... by flipping it into the river where the water could be rocked out. The paddle floated out from its lodge under the seats and was almost lost to the current. It teetered on the gunwale, part in the current and part in the air. I had to snag it with a rope noose. It was determined to paddle to the sea! Not this year, though

DSCF3604CANOESWAMPED1750MED_zps5671d8e0.jpg

The formations of geese heading south started in late August but there was a single line overhead yesterday ... not wasting any energy honking mutual encouragement either.

DSCF3608GEESE750MED_zps11434567.jpg

No more scolding from the kingfishers or mocking from the flickers. No more frog surprise for the pups as they walk the riverbank.

DSCF2885FROGGHECKOCLOSE750MED_zps3be91b07.jpg

In the still, jays have that knack of startling ... every time. These and the chickadees will overwinter. Chummy flocks of slate juncos and sparrows comb the fallen leaves for food, then all together they are onto the next refuelling stop. It seems that the ravens and crows are flying low. With the leaf cover gone, I can actually hear the sound of their wings on the air.

So comes winter. The fall has been so glorious, warm, sunny, red and gold brilliant.

Michael, Jake will look spiff in those boots. Good luck with that! And, about the avatar. Who are you now and what did you do with Pa Kettle?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed my annual Adirondacks canoe trip this fall... the weather was perfect, the campsites I used were free of marauding mice, squirrels and chipmunks, and no rodents raided my vehicle in the parking area while I was paddling. It may have been my last time on the water for the season (other than some duck hunting between now and ice-up).

Four days went by quick enough, and I hated to have to go home.

Good paddling,
desmobob

Currently the Man In The Moon is my avitar, but that is subject to change. I re-watched "Being There last night starring , Shirley McClaine and the late actor Melvin Douglass. You may remember it as a classic tale of Chauncey Gardener, a simple minded man who could walk on water. Melvin may be my next avitar.

A recent cold front sweeping through is putting a nip in the air here too. Much too soon for my tastes. Deer and turkey are running rampant every morning and evening as I make my service rounds. And geese on the wing are becoming more common. Leaves have just started to turn and shower down. First frosts are spotty, but late season swimmers are finally giving up and we are closing three to six swimming pools each day. Some mornings the water is quite chilly as I have to reach elbow to armpit deep to plug off fittings. I am reminded that the river is likely almost as cold.

My latest-greatest canoe is now up for sale. It was a sweet dream to think that I could still do even easy whitewater, but the third outing proved my folly. So I am going to move it on to a younger paddler who can appreciate it's potential. My injuries have healed quite nicely though. And I really enjoyed refurbishing it. I hope to yet get in a few more trips this year on the class 1-2 sections in one of my more stable canoes. I've been busy cleaning and selling my excess of construction tools on the weekends lately. It's like letting go of old friends. But it is past time to lessen the load on the possibility of a move. I sold a few hundred books last week.

ETA: Beautiful pictures desmobob! Unfortunately I am nearing the end of the season with a nonfunctioning camera again.

Spectacular! Autumn morning mists, the sky in the water, the glorious sky at sunset. Best time of the year. The Adirondacks are stunning. Haven't been there for years but remember the area well.

Melvin may be my next avitar.

I'll be prepared!

And the swimmers are finally giving up there. Cold water and cold air can make for uncomfortable work. I was so careful working around the canoe because of the cold water. Here the colour and the cold travel south together with the birds! They are on their way.

My daughter just returned from her vacation in Tellico Plains (not certain of spelling). She had a great time and will be sending pictures shortly. I did get some from her smart phone though ... some beautiful scenery and lots of her dogs lounging as she fished.

Dreams and folly ... a dull world without both. Glad you are on the mend. Yes, I followed the thread on the refurbishing (had nothing to add :) of course) but I believe you did mention something in that thread about even being able to update foam inserts in an old aluminum canoe. In spring I'll be thinking about doing that. Sorry you have to part with the canoe.

I have been selling online for a neighbour who is downscaling his shop. It is hard to part with useful things especially. It is helpful that I have been lessening the load around this house where dad, a machinist/inventor, kept and re-used almost every thing imaginable until he was 90.

Clearing the deck can be very satisfying ... but I get that it is a tough thing to do.

Darn ... just timed out again. Slow writer.

Best darn solo ever made for cruising, IMO. They are again being made, thank goodness!:thumbup:

Best darn solo ever made for cruising, IMO. They are again being made, thank goodness!:thumbup:

It's good to see Bells available again now that Bell Composites is up and running. I wish I had bought my Magic in a lighter lay-up. I got a really good deal on a White Gold version, so that's what I ended up with.

Funny thing... most of the solo paddlers around here are using the Placid Boatworks hulls, which are David Yost designs very similar to the Magic but smaller, with floor-mounted seats, and used with a kayak paddle. To me, it's just not a canoe if you have to use a kayak paddle.

Good paddling,
desmobob

Can a boat like the Magic be comfortably and efficiently be paddled while kneeling with a straight shaft paddle?

Funny thing... most of the solo paddlers around here are using the Placid Boatworks hulls, which are David Yost designs very similar to the Magic but smaller, with floor-mounted seats, and used with a kayak paddle.
It's just marketing. Most folks don't take the time to learn how to paddle; sad really.

To me, it's just not a canoe if you have to use a kayak paddle.

Good paddling,
desmobob

Half the paddle , twice the paddler;):thumbup:

I'll admit that I sometimes carry a kayak paddle for when I've got to be somewhere fast, or for fighting a strong wind. I've rarely used it though—and only when no one was looking. :)

Can a boat like the Magic be comfortably and efficiently be paddled while kneeling with a straight shaft paddle?

I thought I might like to paddle my Magic that way, but the seat is too low for me to get my size 15EEEE feet under, and due to my size and the dimensions of the boat, raising the seat wasn't really an option. I prefer to kneel and paddle most of the time, and the Magic is my only canoe that doesn't allow me to.

Good paddling,
desmobob

I'll admit that I sometimes carry a kayak paddle for when I've got to be somewhere fast, or for fighting a strong wind. I've rarely used it though—and only when no one was looking. :)

"...and only when no one was looking."

Too funny! :D

Good paddling,
desmobob

Susan,

Beautiful pictures of your scenery and dogs!

I am still reading this thread and I would like to thank you for showing this to me too.

I would like to thank Codger and everyone else who posted on all of these wonderful threads over the years too.

Keep them coming!

Cate

Back