Paramilitary 3

one quick question have you ever felt or handled a para 2? the ergos are perfect, blade steel comes in varieties with the sprints, and the pocket clip works great like all the other spyderco knives with that clip.

not trying to come off rude but the knife is the best spyderco knife in production Imo and stands the test of time. I edc one and have never had any issues.

I have owned 2 Para 2s in the last 2 years and currently own one. It's not a bad knife. Spyderco has many knives with sprint runs and the same clip. That certainly does not make the Para 2 special. I get that many are in awe of the knife. After owning a couple of them and using them regularly, I just don't get why people love them so much. The ergos do not work for me, I do not like S30V, the blade shape is ugly, I prefer paper clip pocket clips and think it's overpriced in any other steel.

I would love to see para 2 with improved blade length to handle length ratio. ie shorter handle. Also machining tolerances could be improved ie thinner overall knife + more comfortable to carry.

Would it still be a para 2? And if Spyderco did make those changes, would that "improved para" still work as well for the people who like it as it is now?

I have owned 2 Para 2s in the last 2 years and currently own one. It's not a bad knife. Spyderco has many knives with sprint runs and the same clip. That certainly does not make the Para 2 special. I get that many are in awe of the knife. After owning a couple of them and using them regularly, I just don't get why people love them so much. The ergos do not work for me, I do not like S30V, the blade shape is ugly, I prefer paper clip pocket clips and think it's overpriced in any other steel.

I guess that is true that nothing is for everyone. A lot of people do find the para 2 fits them to a T. Good thing there are other knives that you like then. :D

No, it would make it a para 3! :)

And because you have a bigger number after, it makes it better? Look at the chinook 2 and chinook 3...or the gen 3 and gen 4 glock for that matter. ;)

Are you asking because the current para doesn't suit you or do you just have a lot of time and nothing else to post?

Last edited:
I think the handle could be improved to make it work better for people with larger hands by reducing the size of the rear handle bump thingy (not sure if there is a proper name for it). Maybe my hands are exactly the wrong size, but if Im not using the choil, my little finger rests right on the upwards sloping part of the rear hump and it tends to push down towards my other fingers when I grip hard. If my hand was a bit bigger or a bit smaller, it wouldnt be a problem. Doesnt really matter to me though. If Im carrying a smaller knife, the sage 1 or caly 3.5 is better than the para2. If Im carrying a bigger one, the gb trumps the para. The para2 is a nice combination of good size, light weight, and a cool lock so its probably right up there in the "if I could only carry one knife" category, but it suffers the same drawback of any jack of all trade tool - there are usually better options available for specific tasks/situations.

I'm with you; the ergos don't work for me. The butt end feels weird, and I can't get a comfortable grip. The 50-50 choil doesn't make sense to me either. Short edge + big handle = no choil please, or at least leave off the front jimping like on the Gayle Bradley. Pull cutting something like rope, I want to use as much of the edge as I can, but doing that it's easy to hook the rope on the jimped part of the choil. It doesn't help that having the choil means your hand is further back from the edge (when not using it) than a knife without one, reducing dexterity. The PM2 is an all purpose design that sacrifices a little too much to get that status for me.

Fortunately, as you point out, Spyderco has many other models :)

Are you asking because the current para doesn't suit you or do you just have a lot of time and nothing else to post?

Love current para but I am asking because as I pointed out before there is some room for improvement (handle to blade length ratio & overall more thinner)
To me para 2 was a huge improvement over para 1 so I am hoping for even better knife when para 3 arrives.

Love current para but I am asking because as I pointed out before there is some room for improvement (handle to blade length ratio & overall more thinner)
To me para 2 was a huge improvement over para 1 so I am hoping for even better knife when para 3 arrives.

Didn't you stop to consider that maybe for you it's improvement but not for the rest of the guys who find the para 2 fine as it is?

Yep, was going to say what you said: there are lots of knives in the catalog and one of the reasons is because different people need or want different things in a knife. Lots of choice, and that's good. :thumbup:

I'm with you; the ergos don't work for me. The butt end feels weird, and I can't get a comfortable grip. The 50-50 choil doesn't make sense to me either. Short edge + big handle = no choil please, or at least leave off the front jimping like on the Gayle Bradley. Pull cutting something like rope, I want to use as much of the edge as I can, but doing that it's easy to hook the rope on the jimped part of the choil. It doesn't help that having the choil means your hand is further back from the edge (when not using it) than a knife without one, reducing dexterity. The PM2 is an all purpose design that sacrifices a little too much to get that status for me.

Having said that choice is good, personally I strongly disagree with this. :) The large cut-out for accessing the lock is one of the things that makes the Military the most glove-friendly knife I own, and I'd hate to see this changed...and the steel liner lock is simple and very strong. Sal has said they're going to change the lock in the v2 Military (but keep the current model in production) - I really see no need to change the current version. YMMV, as I said...it's a big catalog, but there are few, maybe no, Spyderco knives that overlap the Military to any great extent.

The military is due for an update. It needs a new lock and less of a scale cut-out.

Maybe a steel like Elmax, and a slightly stronger tip. ( poster now runs for cover! )

Paramilitary 3. :confused: I didn't see this coming. Great ergos for me. 3.5" blade length with choil=perfect for me. Handle can be a little shorter. It is minor.
i have to disagree, the choil is what i love about the grip of the PM2.
+2
+1 absolutely true. There is no knife for everyone. I like Para2, but will take Caly3.5 over Para2 any time.

There's a para for people with larger hands, it's called the millie. ;)

EDC9-23-122_zps974196db.jpg

Fantastic looking edge as always buddy:thumbup: What grit did you take it up to?

Hard to figure out why you still own one if it's totally not for you, as you put it. I guess the reason so many like it, is because it just works. Those that own and actually use the knife get it. I understand, you don't like the steel, clip, price, etc. The good thing is that there are dozens and dozens of other companies that might make something you will like, go find one. ;)

The knife is fine, leave it as is. But if they decided to use a deep carry clip like STR I wouldn't be upset.

I do not like S30V

Just curious but what other steel would you like to be a production model on the Para 2. I have done a lot of edge retention tests using almost all the super steels and from the tests I have played with the S30V holds up pretty comparable to most of the other steels. Especially for the money. Just curious as to why you don't like it?

Just curious but what other steel would you like to be a production model on the Para 2. I have done a lot of edge retention tests using almost all the super steels and from the tests I have played with the S30V holds up pretty comparable to most of the other steels. Especially for the money. Just curious as to why you don't like it?

I agree. All my knives with S30V do a wonderful job of cutting and holding an edge well. I think we've become so enamored with the "super steels" that we forget to give the S30V the proper respect it deserves.

Back