Passion Fruit & Other Colorful Berries and Stuff...

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Ok, as far as I personally am concerned these are edible plants, that doesn't mean it's edible by everyone...lots of food allergies out there these days.

One plant that I like a lot, and that happens to be abundant here in the southeast Tennessee region...being the state flower and all, (plus having an entire river valley named after it)...is Passion fruit, or Passiflora Incarnata. It's known by other colloquial names, one of which is may-pops, I think because the flowers may just pop open while you are looking at the pods, which is really cool to see. The Native Americans of this area called the flowers Ocoee and named the Ocoee River Valley after them.

DSC_3569.jpg

DSC_0952.jpg

It has a distinctive tri-lobed leaf

DSC_3355.jpg

This shows pretty much the entire evolution from pod to fruit

DSC_3582.jpg

The pods start out really tiny and get bigger and bigger till they pop open then are pollinated and the fruit develops, and then ripens. The fruit here wasn't completely ripe but close.

DSC_3599.jpg

DSC_3379.jpg

DSC_3382crp.jpg

DSC_3370.jpg

DSC_3601.jpg

DSC_3356.jpg

DSC_3633.jpg

DSC_3640.jpg

DSC_3645.jpg

DSC_3648.jpg

Still lots of briers, but some of the blackberries are looking, and tasting, really good.

DSC_3528.jpg

DSC_3521.jpg

DSC_3430.jpg

DSC_3432.jpg

DSC_3433.jpg

Some are looking pretty rough.

DSC_3611.jpg

DSC_3585.jpg

Some of the Queen Anne's lace is looking pretty rough too.

DSC_3449.jpg

The garlic is still easy to spot.

DSC_3402.jpg

DSC_3419.jpg

DSC_3417.jpg

Lastly, autumn olive in various stages of ripeness, even the ripest looking is still far too tannic to eat.

DSC_3467.jpg

DSC_3366.jpg

DSC_3466.jpg

Dang Mist. Nice, Very nice shutterbugging!

There's some great pics in there, simply astounding.

Nice info too, I dont think we have passion fruit in my area, but the others I have seen.

Nasty yellowjackets.... least it wasn't pics of a red wasp, I may have put my BK2 thru my 'puter screen!

Dang Mist. Nice, Very nice shutterbugging!

There's some great pics in there, simply astounding.

Nice info too, I dont think we have passion fruit in my area, but the others I have seen.

Nasty yellowjackets.... least it wasn't pics of a red wasp, I may have put my BK2 thru my 'puter screen!

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed them. I'll have to keep that in mind...red wasps generally end up in some of my posts :)

Awesome pics. What is the bigger blade in the pics?

Thanks man, and yeah, Thrillbilly nailed it, it's a TOPS Armageddon.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed them. I'll have to keep that in mind...red wasps generally end up in some of my posts :)

I have been around snakes (I dont like them but I can deal with them), various other creepy-crawlies, and have been within 20 yards of Grizzly and wolves in the wild, and within 3 feet of a wild Bison....They all may ''scare'' me but within reasonable limits, more of a logical respect and caution then a panicked fear..... but the lowly Red Wasps freak me out, I get clammy skin, dry mouth and sick to my stomach as reactions to being around them LOL

I think it stems from childhood, I was stung over 30 times when I disturbed a wasp nest, I think I was around 4. I dont remember the incident but I guess my subconscious does.

Great photos as usual, Mistwalker.
Wish I liked passionfruit. :(

Real nice pics. My kids love to eat autumn olives.

Thanks, yeah I do too when they get ripe...right now they still pucker the mouth :)

Nice. I love making meads with various wild berries I forage. I've done Autumn Olives (we call them Autumn Berries up this way)....

http://www.bardicbrews.net/2010/10/autumn-berry-cyser/

Sounds pretty awesome!

Great photos as usual, Mistwalker.
Wish I liked passionfruit. :(

Thanks man, can't imaging me not liking passion fruit and passion fruit juice.

I love your posts MistWalker! But geez where do you live? God's Produce Aisle?

Thanks man, I guess that could be one way to put it yes, or at least not far from a few of them :)

Love these threads. I wonder if there's tasty plants and things to eat here in Colorado...

Thanks man, I'm not at all familiar with the wild edibles of Colorado, but hard to imagine there not being wild edible things somewhere.

Not sure how I missed this, but awesome thread. That NIKON D3000 takes some excellent photos.

Fabulous pics as always. How you likin that Armageddon ? I have come close a few times to droppin the hammer on it.

Not sure how I missed this, but awesome thread. That NIKON D3000 takes some excellent photos.

Man, I miss threads for days sometimes...it just happens. Thanks man, yeah I like the D3000 a good bit and it has paid for itself a few times over now. I'm going to pick up a D7000 and see what I can do with that.

Fabulous pics as always. How you likin that Armageddon ? I have come close a few times to droppin the hammer on it.

Thanks man, glad you enjoy the posts. I LOVE the Armageddon. I have gone through several large blades looking for the one I wanted and wish I had just gotten this one to start with.

Cool pictures of the local flora and fauna. Thanks for sharing! Also, nice going on that BK-11CSM!

Thanks man, And yeah, that BK-11CSM is one of my most sentimental and favorite knives. Takes a heck of an edge!

Another great thread, Mist.

Most of our blackberries are dried up.

Thanks man. A lot of them are dried up too, pretty much all of the ones constantly in the open, but I found several that had some cover that were nice and juicy still. We have been having a lot of rain lately so hopefully more of those will be ok now.

Back