Paul Bos heat treated 425 modified.

I have a 4 dot 110 and was wondering how these blades compare to the 440c in edge retention that they used before 425 mod,all things being equal like edge geomery etc. Thanks for any input

I've found the Steel FAQ to be really good reading.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/368828-Steel-FAQ

My understanding of the FAQ is that relative performance among 440A (not used by Buck), 425Mod and 420HC depends a great deal on the heat treat. But, as a group, they aren't as abrasion resistant as 440C.

I have Bucks made from 440C, 425Mod and current 420HC. I can tell a difference between 440C and the other 2 in terms of sharpening and edge retention, but I can't really tell a huge difference between 425Mod and 420HC.

I find the 440C to be significantly harder to put an edge on if dull. I use a Lansky system with non-diamond stone and have to really lean on the course stone to make progress with the 440C if it's badly dull - much more so than with the others. But, when cutting wood and whittling, the 440C holds the edge for longer.

BTW, all things aren't equal in terms of edge profile. My older 110 and 112 both had the "hump" behind the edge that Buck used to use. That made initial sharpening and breaking in the edge harder.

Hope this helps.

During edge retention test I've noted about a 32% increase (+- 1%) with each steel, 420HC to 425M to 440C. In todays knife use world of cut open a cardboard box or a rope all of these will perform great, with a good edge put on them. We rarely need all they offer. DM

Last edited:
No, I'm not going to hijack his topic. Its been posted earlier and a search will find it, allowing you to read it. DM

DM, totally understand. I've moved nearly all my bike and ski advice to a web site for the same reason.

Could you at least point me to the right sub-forum? I actually spent about 15 minutes with both google and the forum search function and couldn't find it.

425 Mod is a pretty good steel,i have a 119 i use all the time with that steel,and it performs great!If you put a convex edge on the old 440 c blades they are actually very easy to sharpen,and that edge lasts longer than any hollow ground edge will imho.good luck!

Steel is a fascinating topic......and the opinions about it are legion and often mystical.

Apocryphal and irrelevant tests abound and the scientific and valid tests.......well, I don't know that I've seen any. Most testers seem to have a dog in the fight and many testers take an opinion and then set out to prove themselves correct.

In my experience and from my long-time study of the testers tests both good and bad, the 425M and the 420HC are about the same (very good and NOT far behind S30V).

The 440C is a considerably better performer once you get it sharpened properly and will often rival the so-called super steels.

Keep in mind that 440C was used for many years and individual knives can vary, as may your mileage.

:)

Back