Photos Pelican Stone Storage for Guided Sharpeners

Was in need of a way to store my sharpening stones and wanted something durable, protective, and portable. I found the dimensions of the Pelican 1060 to be ideal. Used some scrap burlap Micarta to make some quick and dirty inserts for the stones. Milled 3/16” slots for the stones and they work well for all my stones and strops of different thicknesses. Also milled some rabbets on the right side pieces to help keep everything held together. It holds 8 stones, a 10ml of Gunny Juice, and my 4mm Hex driver for my sharpener clamps. All the inserts are friction fit within the case and feel very solid due to use of rabbets and the factory rubber lining.

Total cost: $17
Pelican 1060- $16.99 (purchased on clearance from Sierra trading w/free shipping code, still on sale currently)
Burlap Micarta- $0 (had on hand)

I could see someone with a 3D printer making a one piece insert that is universal and more pretty ;) But this’ll do for now.

Was in need of a way to store my sharpening stones and wanted something durable, protective, and portable. I found the dimensions of the Pelican 1060 to be ideal. Used some scrap burlap Micarta to make some quick and dirty inserts for the stones. Milled 3/16” slots for the stones and they work well for all my stones and strops of different thicknesses. Also milled some rabbets on the right side pieces to help keep everything held together. It holds 8 stones, a 10ml of Gunny Juice, and my 4mm Hex driver for my sharpener clamps. All the inserts are friction fit within the case and feel very solid due to use of rabbets and the factory rubber lining.

Total cost: $17
Pelican 1060- $16.99 (purchased on clearance from Sierra trading w/free shipping code, still on sale currently)
Burlap Micarta- $0 (had on hand)

I could see someone with a 3D printer making a one piece insert that is universal and more pretty ;) But this’ll do for now.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. For $17, can't go wrong. Good ferreting. 👌

Back