Penny for Your Thoughts....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen braided leather used on bales also. Some with and some without additional adornment.

How about pieces made from the same materials as the handles? That might create a neat sort of "visual echo."

I like the braided leather thought, coupled with a fob of the same or different material would be a nice option.

Personally, I end up taking them off eventually ;), but having the option is a good thing.

I remember that we had a "show your fob" or show your braid" thread in General or Maintance forums. There were some true works of art there. Do a search for it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

God Bless

I don't know if I told you before, but I really like the way your doing these with the pin, it makes it nice so that the lanyard is not looped over the side of the handle to be gripped like it would be with the tube style. :)

Matching the handle material sounds good, or like the walrus tooth one that you did with my hunter, the texture and color matches, if not the material itself.

one that I used to do is the square sinnet fob/lanyards like the tactical guys use, but instead of the ususal para-cord, used leather to weave them.

G.

For a western look that would enhance the the style of knives associated with the great west (cattleman, stockman, trapper, etc.), what about hitched horsehair? It's the stuff that's dyed and braided into colorful patterns on the more exclusive cowboy hats. I bet you could get some nice braided stuff made to order. Shouldn't cost too much in a lanyard-length hank. Here's an example:

http://www.rockymountainhatcompany.com/bands.html

Can you share with us an image of how the lanyard is attached to the knife. I don't see how the blade keeps from coming into contact with the lanyard.

Square braided leather with a braided Turks Head to finish.
If you used two colored leather strips it is very attactive

With a turks head there is no trailing cordage to get in the way.

I have to agree that buttons or beads made from the same material as the scales then jigged and dyed to match would look good. Also there are some scrimshaw beads to be found online. I frequent a shop in West Lafayette that has a huge selection of beads made from all manner of materials. I use metal, bone, stone, even ceramic. One of my latest finds was this tiny (and unidentifiable) little jack. I used black leather with a ceramic bead decorated with Mayan styles shapes. The black picks up on the leather while the blue compliments the wood scales. I am lucky that I have a store with a wealth of beads but many hobby shops have a decent selections as well. The lanyard on this knife really does aid in fish9ing it out of the watch pocket, especially when seated.

horseheadlanyard.jpg

For a western look that would enhance the the style of knives associated with the great west (cattleman, stockman, trapper, etc.), what about hitched horsehair? It's the stuff that's dyed and braided into colorful patterns on the more exclusive cowboy hats. I bet you could get some nice braided stuff made to order. Shouldn't cost too much in a lanyard-length hank. Here's an example:

:thumbup::thumbup: Thats a sweet idea! I've wanted to do some braiding with horse hair I found at crazy crow for stampede strings for a while, but never thought of it for lanyards.

http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=555-100-000

The pin is placed at the very end of the liners, sometimes where the spring ends, and sometimes we wrap the spring around the pin.

Thank you for explaining how you do that. So, basically the back spring pin is hidden and there is an additional pin added behind the spring that goes thru the handles. Did you just extend the handle on your patterns to accomodate the length needed for the additional pin?

It is frustrating to grab my knife out of my pocket fishing past keys, wallets, and whatever else I am a vessel for. A lanyard has crossed my mind many times, but I also do not like holes in scales. Pappy, that is a great innovation you have going there. It solves both problems. Happy Groud hogs day.

CJ

This guy makes some of the best whips in the world. His 20- and 24-plait whips are out of this world. Leather lanyards have already been mentioned. But braiding them in the circular-shaped braid of a whip would add a real artistic touch. Check out some of the designs, and there are plenty of tutorials as well:

http://www.em-brand-whips.com/

The advantange of leather and horsehair is that you don't risk scratching those gorgeous scales you are producing. I imagine the leather going through the pin and being braided into a straight braid that ends in a fancy knot or smooth polished ivory. The horsehair could be braided into a circle loop or teardroop loop that you could "catch" with an index finger to retrieve the knife from your pocket.

Fantastic innovation with the hidden pin. Even more than making beautiful knives, you're really contributing to the design of knifemaking.

Thank you for explaining how you do that. So, basically the back spring pin is hidden and there is an additional pin added behind the spring that goes thru the handles. Did you just extend the handle on your patterns to accomodate the length needed for the additional pin?

Kerry this how Joe Caswell has his set up HERE . It could be incorporated into the butt of a back spring on a slipjoint knife, it looks to me..

Hope I haven't butted in here. A lot of ways to accomplish the same thing..

Kerry this how Joe Caswell has his set up HERE . It could be incorporated into the butt of a back spring on a slipjoint knife, it looks to me..

Hope I haven't butted in here. A lot of ways to accomplish the same thing..

hmmm...patent pending. That's a slick idea for handles that can be removed. A slip joint poses some interesting issues when it comes to attaching a lanyard. I guess that's why we mostly have bails and tubes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back