Performance Question

Originally posted by Rob Simonich
I dont think you have a clue! ATS IS a good steel if heat treated correctly.

When... Oh When did I say that ATS-34 was a Bad steel. If anything I said the oposite. I just didn't want any "big knife-small dick" fights getting started. But thank you anyway Rob.

And I take no offense at the term "amertures". I don't know everything, that is what this forum is for right. To ask those who do know. Just never thought it was here so that those of us hungry for knowledge could ask and then be chastized by those in the know for how horribly ignorant we are. But then again since I'm so stupid I guess that's beyond my comprehension as well huh. LOL. C'mon now it's just a knife get over it. Back to the real topic does anyone have any useful info on Strider Performance over that of the like made Bucks besides "By God I seen it!"

Originally posted by Rob Simonich

Thats all i will say, I dont play with amertures :D

Rob, I am not big into personal attacks on these forums. I believe that Ryu asked some pertinent questions and some people have attacked him for doing so. So what if he got the cost of ATS34 wrong, I believe he has accepted that.

By the way what is an "amertures" ? By chance, do you mean amateur? (which means novice) I have no earthly idea what "amerture" means perhaps you can enlighten us.

Material type, heat treat, geometry. I can't think of anything else that would affect a knife's performance.

I never said that Buck couldn't figure out a good knife geometry, but the Buck's and even the Buck/Strider's are different than Stider's line.

If you are sincerely asking what makes one knife perform better than another, I don't understand why you would blow off the reasons other people give you. It seems like you are trying to infer that Striders do not outperform Buck/Striders, not trying to understand why they do.

Dennis

As usual, I went through the post rather fast. I need to start buying my ATS somewhere else.
We buy several thousand pounds a month and still have to pay $14 a pound.

Paul is a one man shop.
Buck is not.
Paul has his shop in the Buck building. He does "oversee" their operation, but doesn't personally work their blades.
He does his own.

Chill guys

Mick

Mick, thanks for commenting its good to hear from you on this topic. Would you sat then that Buck Striders are of lesser "standing" ( using standing simply to avoid using the word inferior) compared to Strider Customs? It seems to me that the steel is the same (BG42 per the first production run) and per Maximo, who claims to have talked to Paul Bos, the heat treat process is the same. Actually Paul Bos himself confirms that the Buck Striders have the best heat treatment possible (because his name is on it as well) in the other bladeforums thread mentioned above. Does that mean the performance is the same or different? and why?

That isn't bad. It's a fact. Large companies can't pay attention to detail like smaller ones can.
They have to use different methods of manufacture.
That's why they cost a third as much.

Also, look at how much more material is in the GB or AR. And how much more has been removed.

The Buck folder is a great knife. Truly.

But it isn't the same.

Mick

Now see that's all I wanted. Thank you Mr. Strider. Doesn't it seem to be a trend here that a guy asks a question the "Fans" of that particular company get all threatened and pissed off and attack the asker and then the maker comes in, is a professional, and smooths things out. So the extra performace comes from, Attention to detail and the personal manufacture of every blade rather than a mass production type setup. The extra cost comes from more material and the extra machining done "by hand rather than an assembly line" required to shape the blades. That's all I wanted to know. And maybe the reason I shrugged off some of the answers given here is because they didn't come from Mr. Strider. Everyone has their opinions and sometimes that's all they are is opinions and not cold hard fact. Thank you to those that helped make this an informative topic. And to you guys "no names mentioned" who mucked it up with your well thought out rectal analysis thanks for doing your usual bang up jobs.

I think Mick is right - there is a big difference between the ARs/GBs and the Buck Strider folders - in terms of amt of materials, assembly, etc.

But is the same the case for the fixed blades? Mick, can there possibly be that much difference between the fixed blades if the heat treat, cryogenics, metallurgy and amount of materials are all the same??

I have read info on the Buck forums about testing (post title was Catra Testing) where they do alot of research and testing on their knives. Do you really think that the Buck fixed blades are as inferior to the Strider fixed blades as their folders are to the Strider custom folders? Also, has any Catra testing ever been done on Strider Customs?

Catra testing the Buck Striders against the Strider Customs would be one way to put this thread to bed once and for all!

Ken

Guess I hit a nerve....anybody care to answer?? (or might the truth be too hard to swallow?).

Just kidding.:D

Maximo, give it a rest.
The Armed Forces use Striders, they don't use Bucks.
Think about it. There has to be a reason.

Jeff

I don't want you to take this the wrong way,
But I truly don't have the time to tell you why our knives are of higher quality than something you can buy at Wal-Mart.
Yes, we are doing our best to bring you the highest quality product we can from the Buck factory.
I hope you like it, and buy it.
Just as I do our product.
Some people really like Honda's
Some prefer a Ferrari.
Or something between.
They are all made of metal.
They are simply put together differently.

Mick

Originally posted by jefroman
The Armed Forces use Striders, they don't use Bucks.

That's actually not true. People in the armed forces (when not issued a bayonet and are allowed by their superiors to carry a personal field knife) carry just about everything. I know a Marine who carries a Cold Steel, A Paratrooper who carries a Busse, I know a regular old Desk Grunt who has a Strider. And plenty of the guys carry things like SOG, Buck, Chris Reeve, all kinds. The only knife to my knowledge that is issued on a large basis (other than the pilots knives and stuff) are the M-9 bayonets. So it's not like the Government issues Striders. IT's all personal preference.

Ryu, I was using Buck Knives as a general example. I didn't mean that all of the Armed Forces use Striders(or any other high qualtity brand for that matter), I meant that there are reasons Soldiers and Marines would generally take a Strider over a Buck(or pretty much any other 50-60 dollar knife) if they had the choice.
I hope you and maximo can understand that.

Jeff

C'mon man don't be like that. I was just makin a statement that military personel use too wide a variety of knife brands to say one is the ultimate military user. Don't get all high and mighty. let's all be friends.

You mentioned Soldiers and Marines..

Let's not forget Airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Sailors either!

Every branch has ground forces, even the Coast Guard!

I've had the opportunity to train with a PSU (Port Security Unit) team from the Coast Guard Reserves. Very good unit, with a bunch of great guys. Out of Louisianna, if my memory serves me correctly.

Just like the old saying "As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools", I suppose you can say "As long as there are fighting ground men, there'll be the necessity for a good blade". Strider, by all accounts, makes very very good blades (I may be finding out for myself here shortly - need to balance the check book come tomorrow). So, should Strider continue to live up to its reputation, which by all accounts is becomming Legendary, I can forsee them being a part of the fighting troop's gear for a long time to come.

As for what was said earlier about all types of blades hanging from a troops gear - this much is very true. I've seen everything from cheap crap to expensive high-end custom blades. One of the guys I was stationed with in Kuwait (Sept-Dec 00) carried a Randall. Others, like myself, carried bayonets. Some carried Cold Steel, SOG, Camillius, Buck, basically you name it - I've seen it. One things for sure though - we beat the hell out of blades, and word travels fast. If somethings a POS, or proved to be insufficient to the needs of the fighting groundmen, guys begin to avoid it like the plague.

I've yet to hear ANYTHING bad about Strider, which considering the company's market, speaks volumes for their products.

Just my 2 cents
Phil the SP

In the ongoing quest to produce the best knife possible, has there been any consideration given to using the relatively new S30V steel from Crucible in the folders rather than BG42?
It is supposedly an improvement over both ATS-34 and BG42 in most areas, but especially in terms of toughness.

That's great! Does that mean you are evaluating it or that you are starting to produce knives with it? When will it be available in the folders?
Thanks.

Back