Photos and Impressions: GEC #79 Workhorse Whittler (3-spring)

If I hadn't wanted one already, this photo would have sold me on it.
IMG_1354.jpg~original

(First posted 8/5)

Today's light brings forth the yellows:
IMG_1154.jpg~original

(A last picture with Jeff's knife, on which the bodacious jigging in deep red, complete with UN-X-LD shield, work so well.)

~ P.

That red bone jigging is right up my alley! Great job GEC!

Last edited:
I think they are referring to the #79 workhorse 2blade version.

Thanks! I thought maybe that was the case. I've been trying to figure out how to execute three blades on a single backspring.

Derp!

Anyone have comparisons of the thickness of the two blade Workhorse vs the whittler?

The GEC #79 Montana Workhorse Whittler is a heavy duty knife suitable for use in a commercial environment, on a farm. or on a ranch.

This is my only remaining #79. It's been put through the mill but is as tight as the day I got it. I had to sand it down to get the JB Weld off of it but that's another story.

k7gf.jpg

Last edited:
some nice knives for sure
G2

Last edited:
I think the difference in blade thickness of the main spear point blades between the 3-blade and 2-blade versions may be that the three blade version had to accomodate two other blades in the frame while the two blade version only had to accomocate one other blade in the frame. Had the three blade version had a thicker main blade, the knife overall would have been much thicker.

Nice knives Gary.

As to the dust bunnies, you have to watch those bunnies - they multiply at a rapid rate.

Time to time
G2

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures, Gary! Dust bunnies are a good sign that you've actually been carrying these things. :thumbup:
Interestingly, the spear point on the two blade is thicker stock at .125" while the three blade comes in at .107" measured at the tang
the main blade on the 3 bladed version keeps its thick spine about the full length while the 2 bladed version slims down a lot more.

Very interesting indeed. Thanks.

~ P.

I suggest getting another knife with which to rid ourselves of those pesky varmints-where will it end?

2013-08-21140411_zpsa0eb4d38.jpg

I like the way this one turned out - trying to reduce glare whilst using the sun to illuminate a shiny metal surface can be darn tricky.
Apologies Sarah-the hammer was on the skateboard deck (i have two young sons need I say more?) wasn't meaning to plagiarise and I didn't notice till it was too late.

I always enjoy seeing this picture-- a fleeting glimpse of the rare 4-bladed Pruner Workhorse, quickly resolved into the beautiful stag edition that is yours. :D :thumbup:

Love this thread! I just ordered the 79 in Natural Stag last night and it will be here in 2 days! I am beyond excited. This really is the ideal traditional knife for me and will be a life-long companion. Will post pics once I get it.

I can't wait to see it.

great pattern, so small yet so many nice big blades, I especially like seeing top and bottom shots of them, the three backsprings together look very cool.

Can you speak to the comfort of the knife? Do the spines of the blades that are not in use present a problem/discomfort?

Hopefully others will chime in as well, but I'll try to get more in-hand (and 3-spring!) pictures soon, as well as further thoughts about the pattern's comfort and/or potential hotspots.

I really like the micarta workhorse. Even compared to all the nice bone and wood shown in this thread. It must be the durability of the covers combined with the "workhorse" nature of the knife. Seems like a great combo for a user knife. I looked around for one and they're all long gone. Guess I'll have to "settle" for ebony.

Sarah yours looks great too. The wood has nice subtle character.

I'm enjoying the jobillo (can ye tell?), but if the ebony version had long pulls? That would have been the one, Boom. To me, the ebony, satin-finished blades, and simple shield really work with the "workhorse" aesthetic, similar to your sentiments regarding the micarta version. I just couldn't forgo the criss-crossed long pulls.

That's a wild 'un! Kewl.

Apologies Sarah-the hammer was on the skateboard deck (i have two young sons need I say more?) wasn't meaning to plagiarise and I didn't notice till it was too late.

Oh, no need to apologize-- I thought you'd done it intentionally, as an echo (the power of suggestion, so mighty) or even homage-- and laughed out loud.

Let's pretend you did do it on purpose to make me laugh, and it worked. :D

~ P.

Last edited:
I always enjoy seeing this picture-- a fleeting glimpse of the rare 4-bladed Pruner Workhorse, quickly resolved into the beautiful stag edition that is yours. :D :thumbup:

A good photographer I'm not. Plus I'm too lazy to go take a better one.

So, yeah, we'll go with the "rare 4-bladed Pruner Workhorse". :D

Thank you, Gary. Very helpful.

And thanks in advance, Ms. Pertinux.

I am leaning toward the single-spring two-blade iteration of the workhorse. Sort of been clip-averse lately for some reason.

Those hammers look as though they could be related!
Thanks for your understanding. I was gonna do the " Ok get the hammer . See the nail? Right when I nod my head you hit it. OK" joke but I won't.:p

So, yeah, we'll go with the "rare 4-bladed Pruner Workhorse". :D

thumbup1.gif~original

Those hammers look as though they could be related!
Thanks for your understanding. I was gonna do the " Ok get the hammer . See the nail? Right when I nod my head you hit it. OK" joke but I won't.:p

Such admirable restraint! Fair to guess your now-compressed humor shall find another target soon, perhaps more locally?

slaphead.gif~original

:D

I found the hammer at a neo-vintage store last week while in New England. Adding to its appeal for yours truly, it is (or at least, used to be) blue.

a9251efb-e5c3-40b0-afa2-b15959766799.jpg~original

IMG_1487.jpg~original

:)

~ P.

I'm getting mighty tempted...

PS. Careful with that hammer Sarah, looks like the handle's seen better days!

Very cool indeed.
G2

Last edited:
"neo-vintage"?
how does that work?
Something for everyone I guess.

I'm getting mighty tempted...

PS. Careful with that hammer Sarah, looks like the handle's seen better days!

Works fine for heads so far... ? Duly noted, thanks. It's more for holding, and photographs. Maybe a bit o' pin peening when the time comes, but nothing strenuous.

"neo-vintage"?
how does that work?
Something for everyone I guess.

Once you clear your PMs so the one I just attempted to send can reach you, you'll understand. :)
I left you a Visitor Message.

~ P.

Last edited:
Back