Plumb Connecticut axe

I just acquired a Plumb Connecticut 4.5 axe. The 4.5 is barely legible above the Plumb, but it's there. A buddy found it in an old dump truck that has been on his farm for many years. It has a 36" handle that is dry rotted, but all there I can use as a pattern. Never thought I would find one in northern Wisconsin, but there it is. The poll is flared out some but can be easily fixed, but the edge and rest of the head is excellent. I know you guys want to see this one, but I will have to wait untill my son in law shows up to get it done. It weighs 4lb 2oz. Dog

They do get spread around. Buddy of mine favors the Puget Sound double bit pattern. Not long ago he bought one from a guy in New Mexico, of all places.

Parker

They do get spread around. Buddy of mine favors the Puget Sound double bit pattern. Not long ago he bought one from a guy in New Mexico, of all places.

Parker
It's interesting where patterns end up or don't end up.
I'm in northern California, and my 4lb TT Kelly handmade is the only California peeler I've come across.
I basically only ever see Michigans and the occasional western DB.

The La Pierre-Sawyer handle I referred to in a different post is an exact match to the haft on this Connecticut pattern. They will be joined up. I can't wait to swing this critter. Dog

I tried out the Connie yesterday and it don't chop to good. It splits straight grained maple very well, but so does my splitting axe. It's just to blunt to be a good chopper, even though it's hair shaving sharp. I may redo the edge profile later. Dog

I did thin it down and it chops a lot better. I doesn't have the bite of the Michigan patterns that I have, but on the plus side it throws chips very well. Dog

Back